2001 TJ College Build - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 70 Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
2001 TJ College Build

I've been wanting to do a build page for a while now and have never gotten around to it. First to start off, I bought my first car from my parents when I was 16. It was a 2002 Honda CRV they had since new so I knew it was taken care of.

Well the A/C compressor decided it didn't like it's life anymore and exploded itself into pieces throughout the entire system. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but I donot deal with AC systems or computer related electrical problems so I had the "stealership" do it for $3500 dollars and everything A/C had to be replaced.

Attached Thumbnails
CRV.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 70 Old 09-09-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Now fast forward a couple of years when I'm 18. I like my car, I've never had a problem with it, but it just didn't suite me. It got me out of a few bad Indiana winters with the AWD but I wanted something more fun. I started looking at 4wd vehicles. I looked at a few Tacomas, 4runners, and jeeps and test drove a jeep that was being sold locally. It was awful. The brakes sucked, it was in bad shape mechanically and it was an automatic, but it hit something inside that I knew I wanted a Jeep. I knew I wanted a manual as well. I continued looking the next few month at some Toyota and some Wranglers. What I knew in Wranglers I wanted was the 4.0L, manual transmission, and a good frame, (hard to find here in the Midwest). I was scouring Craigslist and I saw a 2001 Wrangler in Louisville that caught my eye. It was a two owner, the 1st had it for less than 3,000 miles. It had a factory dana 44, 5 speed, and a hardtop. They Friday, I skipped one of my college courses and headed south from Indianapolis. When I got there, he had was at his work and I met him with my friend outside of his workplace. He was busy and just handed us the key. He is way more trusting that I ever would be. Now I had only driven a few times in a manual and could do it, but preferred my friend whose Tacoma is also a Manual. We test drove it for a half hour and it was a blast. I was hooked again. This was it. I came and talked to him and asked if he could hold it for me until the next Friday when I could come down with the money and he did. Here's the trip home with it as we pulled of the road for its first shot

As soon as I got it home, I started working on it. I pulled off the broken fog lights in the front and I started planning on the new suspension. It had a 3.5" Rubicon express lift on it and the rear shocks were shot. I bought a new rough country 2.5" lift and installed it right when summer let on my Freshman year at college. It really didn't change much of the height as I think the springs were starting to sag and the 33s on it still didn't rub so that made me happy. I made a few more smaller cosmetic changes and pulled off the top for a soft top I picked up for $100.
Attached Thumbnails
firstTJ.jpg   workedon.jpg  
post #3 of 70 Old 09-09-2015, 07:09 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
My next big purchase were my new tires and wheels. I bought the 5 Rubicon wheels off a great memember on here Derek, and he also makes these awesome winch bumpers and have me a "blemished" one for free with the wheels. I then bought 4 dick cepek mud country tires in 285/75/r16 and I got a great deal on them.

The tires are the jeep ride so much better. For being a higher load range tire, C to now and E, it is a smoother ride. I then wanted to get an alignment, but before then, I bought a ZJ upgraded tie rod to be safe for now and then took it to the dealer I work at and got it aligned and also saw that my caster was WAY off. 2.4 degrees as opposed to the 6 degrees.
Attached Thumbnails
unknown (2).jpg   unknown (3).jpg  

post #4 of 70 Old 09-09-2015, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I wanted to do some more off roading than just a dirt road at some friends property. I planned a trip with three of my other friends, one is a jeepforum memember as well with his own build, Jake aka F7S. In preparation I buily myself some front sway bar dissconects. I found the idea on a forum and would love to link it but I cannot find it again. Anyways they work excellent and I'll make a post of them as well later on.

We went to Badlands off-road Park in Attica, IN. We will definitely be going back a lot and I found out how capable my jeep was and what need to be done. Got some typical flexing pictures as well

And also Jake got some really good pictures of the jeep as well
Attached Thumbnails
unknown (1).jpg   unknown (2).jpg   unknown.jpg   IMG_0283.jpg   unknown2.jpg  

post #5 of 70 Old 09-09-2015, 07:19 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Now we are pretty much caught up with the build so far. Some smaller odd and ends that I have done, but those are the biggest.

Now today, I just ordered some light quartz gray monstaliner for the interior of the jeep tub. I can't wait to get that in. I have been prepping the inside slowly while I get some time here and there. Here is what I have done right now.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0319.jpg  
post #6 of 70 Old 09-11-2015, 03:52 PM
F7S
1997 TJ Wrangler 

About time you made a thread. Finish that Monstaliner up! We need to go wheeling again

Instagram: @Jake__Wall
TJ Build: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/college-tj-sport-build-3108105/
post #7 of 70 Old 09-11-2015, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by F7S
About time you made a thread. Finish that Monstaliner up! We need to go wheeling again
haha yes we do! Sometime when it's not as hot out as last time. And I'm about to start Sunday or Monday I'm hoping. I only have what is left under the seats and console to prep and then mask off!
post #8 of 70 Old 09-11-2015, 10:37 PM
rt4422

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Trim those flares! It will give you another inch or so of travel without rubbing. Looks good
post #9 of 70 Old 09-12-2015, 05:42 AM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422
Trim those flares! It will give you another inch or so of travel without rubbing. Looks good
I like that look, but I'm going to be getting some flat front fenders and remove the rears so this way I can sell them! I'm still trying to decide on what ones to get. I can get a knock of tubular one on eBay for ;250 or save up another check and get some metal cloak or poison spyder.
post #10 of 70 Old 09-12-2015, 06:16 PM
Pbear878

You should look up CC fabs. I got their tube fenders and they are great. They were a little hard to install but I also am only 16 and I have never really done anything like it. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
post #11 of 70 Old 09-13-2015, 01:34 PM
rt4422

2002 TJ Wrangler 

Depending on your end tire size, I would definitely give some thought to Hi-lines if you're putting in new fenders. I regret not doing them originally because I am about to go back and put hi lines in. Not everyone likes them, but +3" of up travel may be nice down the road. Just depends on your plan.
post #12 of 70 Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt4422
Depending on your end tire size, I would definitely give some thought to Hi-lines if you're putting in new fenders. I regret not doing them originally because I am about to go back and put hi lines in. Not everyone likes them, but +3" of up travel may be nice down the road. Just depends on your plan.
yep! Got my eyes on some metalcloak arched fenders. They completely replace the fender.
post #13 of 70 Old 09-13-2015, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pbear878
You should look up CC fabs. I got their tube fenders and they are great. They were a little hard to install but I also am only 16 and I have never really done anything like it. I'll post a pic tomorrow.
That's what another memember I wheel with on here has I believe. I'll have to check.
post #14 of 70 Old 09-13-2015, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have almost all the tub prepped and masked off. Tomorrow morning I am going get the bedliner down. I'll be posting some it pictures tonight!
Attached Images

post #15 of 70 Old 09-16-2015, 11:01 AM Thread Starter
richeaus

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Here's what it looks like right now. After I get back from fishing, I'm going to be putting a few of the things inside the tub. It's so humid here that everything set up about an hour sooner while doing it and was pretty hard last night
Attached Images

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in