2000 Jeep TJ 5.2 Magnum Swap Build - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
 32Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 97 Old 10-28-2019, 05:16 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Well, it’s alive!.....kinda. Finished installing the flywheel, clutch, transmission and bellhousing, etc etc. Went to fire it up and it dies after 2-3 sec max. From all the research I’ve done, it seems like more than likely the SKIM system in the ZJ ECU I’m using. I didn’t plan on using this ECU long term anyway, since it’s for an auto trans. Heres a video!

Only codes that I have are for the evap(not hooked up yet), and the auto trans, so this still leads me to believe it’s the SKIM system. Will be testing it with a certified non skim ECU to rule it out. Only other thing it could be would be the ASD being wired improperly. I feel like I wired it right the first time so let’s hope that isn’t it. Was an amazing feeling though when the engine fired for the very first time!

Here's a tip for people who have worried about getting the transmission mount in place since it obviously wouldnt reach the stock mounting location, IF you place the AA mounts in the recommended location and you're using a manual transmission. People talk about needing to beat in the firewall, and all sorts of stuff; barely being able to get the transmission mount holes to line up, or having to fab up a trans mount out of 2 different mounts. I just bought the Barnes 4WD skidplate, which has a ton of front-to-back adjustment for where you're transmission mounts can be placed. This made mounting the transmission EXTREMELY easy. Just a quick tip. Here is a link to the skidplate.
https://www.barnes4wd.com/Jeep-TJ-Bo...ate_p_867.html

07wurubi and Jeepfreco like this.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
2000 Wrangler TJ - 5.2 Magnum Swap.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 97 Old 10-28-2019, 05:30 PM
Jeepfreco

2001 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
That's awesome! Great progress so far, sounds good even for running for only 2 seconds. Hopefully you figure out what the cause is that is keeping it from running for more than 2 seconds!
post #48 of 97 Old 10-29-2019, 06:47 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepfreco View Post
That's awesome! Great progress so far, sounds good even for running for only 2 seconds. Hopefully you figure out what the cause is that is keeping it from running for more than 2 seconds!
Thanks! This is a common problem when people do this swap, I'm pretty sure it's more than likely the SKIM system inside the ZJ ecu.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.

post #49 of 97 Old 11-04-2019, 05:10 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Its alive! Tested it with a verified non-skim ecu from a buddies Jeep and it fired up and ran great! Such a good feeling knowing that I did the wiring correctly, etc. Now for all the other items: radiator/cooling system, driveshafts, and exhaust and it will be driving on the road! Also have to do something with my shifter but I have a pretty good idea of what I'm going to do, based on what I saw another member on here do in his build thread. Stay tuned!

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
post #50 of 97 Old 11-11-2019, 05:39 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Its starting to look like a Jeep again, installed the radiator, ZJ clutch fan, and 4.0 fan shroud, which all worked out perfectly.
Attached Images

07wurubi and Jeepfreco like this.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
post #51 of 97 Old 11-11-2019, 03:08 PM
Jo3Gee

2000 TJ Wrangler 

2000 Jeep TJ 5.2 Magnum Swap Build

Here’s the flex radiator hose i used. I also got silicone adapters to attach it with t-bar clamps. But you can probably find rubber hose adapters even cheaper.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/elect...RoCULQQAvD_BwE
wytetrash likes this.
post #52 of 97 Old 11-12-2019, 07:18 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo3Gee View Post
Here’s the flex radiator hose i used. I also got silicone adapters to attach it with t-bar clamps. But you can probably find rubber hose adapters even cheaper.

http://www.siliconeintakes.com/elect...RoCULQQAvD_BwE
Cool thanks for the link!

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
post #53 of 97 Old 11-15-2019, 07:18 PM
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Great job so far and love seeing these V-8 swaps into the TJ's. I have a 5.2 in mine right now but am building a 5.9 for it that I have a stroker kit for so it will make it a 6.7 (408) when done. I'm running a 46RE tranny with a STaK's 3 speed transfer case.

I must have missed it but what radiator did you use? Are you using a mechanical fan or electric? I'm sure you are getting super excited about getting this done and can't wait to drive it again. If you are looking for any performance parts I have some I have bought that I can't use for my new engine.
Jo3Gee likes this.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #54 of 97 Old 11-17-2019, 05:52 PM
kerryike1223

Please detail what you do with your shifter. (I assume it's a manual). I have modifications to do to mine after putting in a Chevy 5.3 for the same reasons you do, but the bending and adding length to the shifter will probably have to be pretty drastic.
post #55 of 97 Old 11-18-2019, 04:46 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
Great job so far and love seeing these V-8 swaps into the TJ's. I have a 5.2 in mine right now but am building a 5.9 for it that I have a stroker kit for so it will make it a 6.7 (408) when done. I'm running a 46RE tranny with a STaK's 3 speed transfer case.

I must have missed it but what radiator did you use? Are you using a mechanical fan or electric? I'm sure you are getting super excited about getting this done and can't wait to drive it again. If you are looking for any performance parts I have some I have bought that I can't use for my new engine.
I just used an OEM radiator. There are several of these swaps (that were kept stock) that used the OEM radiator and they cooled fine. If I have any issues, ill upgrade it to an aluminum one, but it seems like more times than not, even the big name brand ones seem to leak at the welds. And for the fan, I just used a ZJ mechanical clutch fan and a 4.0 fan shroud.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
post #56 of 97 Old 11-18-2019, 04:47 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryike1223 View Post
Please detail what you do with your shifter. (I assume it's a manual). I have modifications to do to mine after putting in a Chevy 5.3 for the same reasons you do, but the bending and adding length to the shifter will probably have to be pretty drastic.
I certainly will. I am pretty sure what I am going to do is cut the shifter at the bottom, add a small 2.5" plate to move the shaft back and weld it together. I got the idea from another member on one of the forums, and it worked well for him.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
post #57 of 97 Old 11-18-2019, 01:43 PM
wildman4x4nut
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wytetrash View Post
I just used an OEM radiator. There are several of these swaps (that were kept stock) that used the OEM radiator and they cooled fine. If I have any issues, ill upgrade it to an aluminum one, but it seems like more times than not, even the big name brand ones seem to leak at the welds. And for the fan, I just used a ZJ mechanical clutch fan and a 4.0 fan shroud.
So just so I understand correctly you are using the stock ZJ radiator? Did it just bolt up to the TJ?

Yes I agree many aftermarket radiators leave a lot to be desired. I have had two different ones in my TJ so far and the aluminum one is a piece of junk that COST way more than I should have spent.
Due to my engine placement I have to run a electric fan but sure would like to try a mechanical fan. Might have to look at what I can do with that.

WILDMAN

Cle Elum, WA

post #58 of 97 Old 11-18-2019, 05:07 PM
Bmann412

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by wytetrash View Post
I certainly will. I am pretty sure what I am going to do is cut the shifter at the bottom, add a small 2.5" plate to move the shaft back and weld it together. I got the idea from another member on one of the forums, and it worked well for him.

I would suggest bracing that plate. Helped stiffen up my shifter. I can get a picture if needed.

1998 TJ 5.9l
1978 CJ7 Renegade
post #59 of 97 Old 11-19-2019, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildman4x4nut View Post
So just so I understand correctly you are using the stock ZJ radiator? Did it just bolt up to the TJ?

Yes I agree many aftermarket radiators leave a lot to be desired. I have had two different ones in my TJ so far and the aluminum one is a piece of junk that COST way more than I should have spent.
Due to my engine placement I have to run a electric fan but sure would like to try a mechanical fan. Might have to look at what I can do with that.
No I am using the TJ radiator. ZJ radiator wouldn't fit. I trust a brand new OEM radiator more than an aluminum one. Even the "higher up" brands have been known to leak. If one day down the road I have an issue, I can always change it easily.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.
post #60 of 97 Old 11-19-2019, 05:13 AM Thread Starter
wytetrash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmann412 View Post
I would suggest bracing that plate. Helped stiffen up my shifter. I can get a picture if needed.
YES! That would be great if you could show me a picture of what you are talking about!!! I really appreciate it.

2013 Wrangler JK Sport.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in