1964 CJ6 long term restomod - Page 12 - JeepForum.com
 49Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #166 of 254 Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM
NashvilleTJ
I miss the snow...

2004 LJ Wrangler 

Lookin' really good. I'm enjoying the build. Nice looking welds as well - I'm guessing you've done that a few times in the past...

Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Swing Away / Swing Down Tire Carrier:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #167 of 254 Old 01-21-2018, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Tore the NV4500 apart today to switch the main shaft. Was worried about getting the 5th gear nut off as it is suppose to be torqued to 300 ft/lbs. It was actually looser than the bolts holding the PTO covers on!

imga1166.jpg

So, this is as far as I got. figured on running to Iowa City this afternoon for a main shaft rear bearing since I had to destroy the old one to get it off. But, when I was checking parts as they were going back together. Found that when this transmission was rebuilt, they forgot to install the reverse gear synchronizer inserts and springs! Knew something wasn't right when I tore it apart, just didn't dawn on me until I was assembling it. Everything else checked out good, had to figure it had issues jumping out of gear in reverse and 5th! Really wish I had asked the guy I got it off of what shop rebuilt it.

imga1167.jpg

I own a Harley and a JEEP, still some people can't figure out why I'm broke!
post #168 of 254 Old 01-22-2018, 09:46 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Since I have to wait on parts again. Decided to get the motor ready to set in.

imga1168.jpg

Got the oil pan switched from front sump to rear sump. Nice that Cummins makes the pans symmetrical so you only have to change the oil pickup, and move the dip stick to the rear hole. Got my cut down 6bt manifold bolted on with the stock H1C turbo for mock up. Pulled the fan since I'll probably end up going electric, and bolted on TJ Legel's Farmstrong motor mounts. As soon as the transmission is back together I can bolt it and the transfer case on and start positioning it in the Jeep.

imga1169.jpg

post #169 of 254 Old 01-22-2018, 10:32 AM
daddyjeep87
Web Wheeler

1987 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Cool... Nice to see the drive train getting close to going in.

87 YJ, 5.7/TH350/NP241/HP Dana44/9", Custom 4 link/ Radius Arms, ADS Nitrogen Shocks, 35" Cooper STT

post #170 of 254 Old 01-28-2018, 08:04 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Aggravating weekend doing nothing. Last weekend found missing parts in my transmission. So Sunday afternoon I ordered the inserts and springs from a distributer. Then decided to save a couple buck and order the Timken output bearing off Amazon. The inserts and springs were shipped out Monday, USPS tracking had them to be delivered on Thursday by 20:00. Thursday night their tracking stated that delivery was delayed. Now I get an email from the distributer sounding like he is shipping the parts out again. Sounds like USPS has lost another package, and they wonder why they are going under!

As far as the bearing ordered from Amazon, they didn't even ship it till Thursday! Think they are trying to make a person get Amazon Prime now to get decent shipping times!

post #171 of 254 Old 01-31-2018, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

So, the bearing from Amazon showed up yesterday. And, according to USPS tracking my inserts and springs have showed up at the post office today finally. This weekend hopefully will get everything back together and start positioning the power train to see what steel I'll need to order to finish up the motor mounts and build the trans mount/cross member. And yes even though I'm running Farmstrong mounts I have plans for a modification to them also. Can't seem to have any part on this build without at least some modification!

post #172 of 254 Old 02-02-2018, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

NV4500 pretty much back together. Figured out I'm out of lock-tite so can't finish until I pick some up. the 4 out of the 4 forward gears that are on actually work and reverse works also. Put the 5th gear fix on to check clearance with my 29 spline adapter. Glad I did, heard of people having problems with the NV4500 and NP205 combination with them knocking bearings out due to pressure on them. Figured out I'm going to have to shorten the adapter by around 3/16" to have clearance for the 5th gear fix. Also carried the NP205 out of the basement. Should have waited till I had help. forgot how heavy that cast iron pig is!

imga1171.jpg

post #173 of 254 Old 02-03-2018, 07:33 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Hit another slow down. When I tore the transmission apart to switch the main shaft I had found the reverse/5th gear synchronizer inserts and springs were missing. So I ordered them and put them in yesterday. Even though it will shift through all gears, some thing didn't seem right.

So did some more digging, found I'm missing yet still another part. Seems this transmission is suppose to have a reverse synchronizer which is MIA also. Some have them, some don't just knew something wasn't right. There are at least 4 different diagrams out there and you have to find the right one. I'm starting to wonder if even though this trans was rebuilt, if it was actually rebuilt by a shop.

So, more parts ordered and I'll pull it apart again. Stuff like this is why I've been 3 years building this Jeep!

post #174 of 254 Old 02-05-2018, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Once again, waiting on parts. Was hoping to have the motor, trans, and transfer case in mocking up mounts by now. Got my frame plates for my motor mounts completed, and the transmission mount figured out. Will finish up the mount once I figure out where the cross member is going to be.

imga1172.jpg

imga1177.jpg

post #175 of 254 Old 02-18-2018, 04:28 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

So even going camping this weekend, I still got the transmission back together for hopefully the last time. Definitely shifts better on the table with all the parts in it than it did when the reverse synchro and inserts missing. Maybe in the next week or so I can actually have it along with the transfer case and motor between the frame rails. Got the final measurements on the 29 spline adapter, needs to be shortened by 0.120" to play nice between the trans and transfer case.

imga1185.jpg
GraySkies likes this.

post #176 of 254 Old 03-04-2018, 10:45 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

All the pieces and parts for the drive train bolted together for the first time. Friends coming over this afternoon to stuff it between the frame rails.

imga1186.jpg
RedJeepster1 likes this.

post #177 of 254 Old 03-06-2018, 07:00 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Hmm, know I put together a post Sunday night. Must not have hit submit! so here is what I got done.
Even though TJ Legel's Farmstrong mounts are some of the best engineered mounts for a 4bt swap. I just can't not modify something. Turned his weld on mounts into bolt on mounts. That way if the next person decides to go back to a gas motor they don't have to grind them off.

1.jpg

Stuffed into place.

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Looks like the shifter is even going to clear the dash and be in a good location.

6.jpg

Trans mount done ready to bolt in.

7.jpg

Mess cleaned up and put to bed till next time I get to work on it.

8.jpg

post #178 of 254 Old 03-07-2018, 05:46 PM
Jim1611
Web Wheeler

1985 CJ7 

I like the idea of bolting the mounts in. Welding on the frame always stresses the metal and avoiding that is a good idea. Nice work.

(Crabtree Shackle Hangers)

My build thread

post #179 of 254 Old 04-04-2018, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

So finally time to make the TJ bumper I bought a while back fit the CJ8 frame under my CJ6. Was not overly impressed by the structural design of this bumper from the factory, and the receiver hitch was not very sturdy.

2.jpg

Ended up boxing the entire back of the bumper with some scrap 7 gauge I had and made some mounts out of some 1.5"x3"x1/4" wall tubing I had left over.

3.jpg

Got it all mounted up. Still have to change the bolt pattern on the tire mount to match the wheel on the CJ. Have a heavier receiver tube coming that will be welded to the bumper and bolted to the frame.

Now I can hang the spare from my truck on it and throw a few hundred pounds in it so I can finish setting the rear pinion angle and front caster.

4.jpg

post #180 of 254 Old 04-24-2018, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
y2k-fxst
1964 CJ6 

Finally bolted the hinges on the hood today. Figured out there is some interference between the cowl and the hood. Seems the early hoods don't have a lip on the back of them. The late ones do, and it catches on the rain channel on the cowl. Gonna have to do some grinding on both pieces so the hood will open and close.

imga1211.jpg

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in