Previous Product Tires

Roadone - Roadone Cavalry M/T

Email This Bookmark Print This Review      Find On: JCWhitney.com | eBay.com
Rating: None

Product Information

MSRP: $114.00
Manufacturer: Roadone
Company Website: http://roadone.com

I found these tires on eBay for $114 each (delivered!) and decided to give them a try. (EDIT: Made in Thailand.) How bad can they be?

First of all, I'm replacing a set of Dick Cepek Mud Country tires of the same size. Those lasted about 33,000 miles. I'm sure I could have gotten another ten thousand miles if I had taken better care of the steering components. As it was, the tires wore really unevenly and needed to be replaced. (Good news: I sold them for $80, so that pushed down the price of the new tires to just $94 each.)

At the end of their life, the DC tires were very noisy. I couldn't drive with the front windows open and not have a ringing in my ears after awhile. These new tires are incredibly quiet. I suspect it's due to the tread pattern, which is similar to what you'd see on a Goodyear "Gatorback" street tire. They look cool, but time will tell how well they perform off-road. For now, I'm enjoying the quiet ride.

The tread pattern is directional, so the tires can be mounted only one way and do not have an option for raised white letteringóboth sides are blackwall. Direction of rotation is clearly marked; maybe more clearly than necessary as the markings are huge.

The size I bought is 31" x 10.5" for 15" wheels. The stated tread width of 10.5" is laughable; they are just under nine-and-a-half inches wide at the contact patch, and that's being generous. I've never been a fan of overly wide tires, so this isn't a big deal to me. If you need maximum flotation, though, you may want to look at another tire.

There is good sidewall protection near the treads, but no wheel rim protection at all. Again, is this really a big deal on a tire with over seven inches of sidewall? I've included this info just because someone may want to know.

Good luck finding any info on the manufacturer's website. As of this writing, the site is bare bones and lists only heavy truck tires, i.e. OTR trucks and buses.

For fun, I'm balancing these with six ounces each of 0.2 gram airsoft BBs instead of Dynabeads or traditional wheel weights. So far, the BBs are doing well. They take a few seconds to find their way to the balance position once you've settled into a speed, but they seem stable at highway speeds. Again, time will tell. (EDIT: After a week of driving, I added an additional ounce of BBs to each tire for a total of 7 oz.)

Tags
None

Login or Register to Add Review

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome