XM anyone - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 12-17-2003, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
TJ Toy time

XM anyone

I was wondering if anyone had installed an XM reciever in thier rig. I am looking into the Delphi ROADY and will be looking into mounting it above the mirror on the windshield frame. I have a 2003 TJ and was wondering if anyone has XM, is it worth it, where have you mounted your antenna, and are there any Pic's out there yet of an install? Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 12-17-2003, 05:02 PM
FloridaXJ

Ive installed XM on about 10 Wranglers now and we always put it on the hood, centered near the windshield. The display can go anywhere....put it where you can reach it best.
XM is sweet, if you do alot of driving and hate the crap on the radio, its the way to go.
post #3 of 16 Old 12-19-2003, 06:41 AM
EljayK004

I love my XM. As a matter of fact I have a MP3 player that I haven't used in three months because of it. I still don't know if that's a good thing or what? As for the antenna I have an XJ so it probably wouldn't be much help...

post #4 of 16 Old 12-19-2003, 07:30 AM
n2audio

I have xm in my TJ. I mounted the antenna on top of the soundbar. (I dont remember the name of it) Its alittle bigger than a deck of cards and fits on top of the soundbar but still under the hardtop. Great reception and you well never know that its there.
post #5 of 16 Old 12-20-2003, 05:20 AM
SirGCal
RIP

I have listened to other installer's XM and Sirrus systems both; and I will just say, I'm not paying for that...

Every time you pass under a bridge, it cuts out. Every time you pass under a large group of power lines, it get's fuzzy...

If your sitting still it's great, but so far it seems like every time I got into a song, it suddenly jummped or skipped.

I'd rather throw on my MP3 player and have hours of skip-free, uninterupted music.

I have installed a few XM systems (3 to be exact now, and one Sirrus) 3 of the 4 people have not had an issue with the jumping or skipping, thought they live and drive in mostly rural areas. I have to drive in the city and it seems to make a difference (though with more interference and structures, it does make sense).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
post #6 of 16 Old 12-20-2003, 08:10 AM
waverave

I would get it but I am not impressed with any of the recievers. I am waiting for the next generation of them. I want to flush mount it somewhere in the dash but the ones available would not accomidate this easily. I may just wait until I decide to replace my aftermaket head unit and get a XM ready model. For now I will just stick with my mp3 head unit.
post #7 of 16 Old 12-24-2003, 07:14 PM
FloridaXJ

The XM does cut out if the antenna is covered...bridge, tunnel, or hand. BUT, if you go with the Sirrius system they use ground repeaters and you dont lose the signal, and no commercials. Personally, I install them every day, but would never pay for one. 500 cds and 2000 mp3s, I like to listen to what I want when I want.
post #8 of 16 Old 12-26-2003, 04:31 PM
Kraw

I have a Pioneer add on unit with the small Terk XM3 antenna on my sound bar. Before my antenna -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-= out on me, I never lost signals. I live in the city, drive in parking garages, under overpasses etc, never lost it. I would lose it under the metal roof at a gas station, but that was about it.

check my site in my sig for pics of my install

I bought my parents a roady for christmas and would love to put one in mine, but I like my small display because I can hide it behind my visor with the top down and no onw knows it is there

Had an 02 TJ
Have a 13 JK on order in Commando Green
post #9 of 16 Old 12-27-2003, 02:52 AM
KB8UDE

1997 TJ Wrangler 

XM and Sirius BOTH use ground-based (terrestrial) repeaters. That's why they have two antenna connectors on most of them. The all-in-one units with just one small connector like the Delphi I dunno..maybe the signals are combined in the antenna or it's just plain missing the terrestrial antenna.

I have a Sirius add-on made by Audiovox that does pretty well, even in downtown Pittsburgh. I am planning on trying the sound bar mounting idea, then if it gives me trouble i'll move it to the center of the hood.

I also have an XM-ready Alpine tuner, but have not picked up the extra tuner module yet to try it. I kinda like the no commercials and no censorship that Sirius offers.

Anyone looking for a good place to mount the control head for an add-on unit should check out the Vehicle Specific Mounts made by Pro-Fit. They are used alot for cellphone car kits and work perfect for alot of other things like GPS mounts and such. I have one for my new TJ on the way.

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com
post #10 of 16 Old 12-27-2003, 06:03 AM
u4ea

I was thinking about xm for a long time... but instead I wired my ipod to my head unit (pure sound). I have about 3000 songs loaded on it and it works great.
post #11 of 16 Old 12-27-2003, 01:04 PM
KB8UDE

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Yeah that always works too. My Alpine has an optional input cable that I got, that will allow you to jack in a stereo signal to the cd changer pigtail. That's where I send the Sirius audio in, rather than use the lossy and lower fidelity rf modulators. I just switch to the AUX setting, which is right along side the CD and TUNER choices when hitting the source button. Works well. Before I got the sat radio I used my Compaq iPAQ on it to play mp3.
post #12 of 16 Old 12-27-2003, 07:32 PM
AudioGuru

I have not encountered the dropping of signal described above. Our shop has installed hundreds of these systems and for the most part, customers love them. 3 of 4 installs by one person are losing signal, maybe the problem is the installer?

Xm has 50 commercial free stations and about 50 regular for 10 per month. Sirius is commercial free, they have breaks, but they talk about their own programming for 12 per month.

I personnaly have an XM ready Pioneer headunit with the add on tuner. I love it. MP3 files are crap, too much compression, which causes way too much simbilance and distortion. All FM broadcasts are rife with distortion. Distortion(in addition to being ugly to listen to) destroys speakers.

I recently installed the Kenwood Sirius Here 2 Anywhere cradle system into my fathers two cars, boat, house, office, and lake cabin. He can go anywhere with excellent reception, and with just one tuner.

It's a good system, radio I acually want to listen to. My antenna is on top of the third brake light. You can mount on top of the soundbar, provided that you don't have a hard top. Otherwise, the hood area is great, too.
post #13 of 16 Old 12-27-2003, 08:38 PM
Kraw

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioGuru
I have not encountered the dropping of signal described above. Our shop has installed hundreds of these systems and for the most part, customers love them. 3 of 4 installs by one person are losing signal, maybe the problem is the installer?

Xm has 50 commercial free stations and about 50 regular for 10 per month. Sirius is commercial free, they have breaks, but they talk about their own programming for 12 per month.

I personnaly have an XM ready Pioneer headunit with the add on tuner. I love it. MP3 files are crap, too much compression, which causes way too much simbilance and distortion. All FM broadcasts are rife with distortion. Distortion(in addition to being ugly to listen to) destroys speakers.

I recently installed the Kenwood Sirius Here 2 Anywhere cradle system into my fathers two cars, boat, house, office, and lake cabin. He can go anywhere with excellent reception, and with just one tuner.

It's a good system, radio I acually want to listen to. My antenna is on top of the third brake light. You can mount on top of the soundbar, provided that you don't have a hard top. Otherwise, the hood area is great, too.
well, my signal drop just started, so I'm 99% sure it is the antenna

I read somewhere that Sirius isn't 100% commercial free anymore.

www.xmfan.com is a good source of info on XM

Profit makes some nice mounts too. I just like to have mine hidden

Had an 02 TJ
Have a 13 JK on order in Commando Green
post #14 of 16 Old 01-06-2004, 08:07 PM Thread Starter
TJ Toy time

Thanks all for the response. So I went and got the XM Sky fi today and will install on SAT. I cant wait. Thanks again
post #15 of 16 Old 01-08-2004, 10:05 AM
Russ-68

I've got a Kenwood deck with Sirius. I mounted the antenna on top of the soundbar, under the padding, like a lot of others on here seem to do. I never loose my signal, and I'm usually always in the city around tall buildings and such. I also work at a power plant, and obviously there are plenty of high voltage lines around, and I've never had any static - except from the FM, which always has static

IMHO, the subscription fee is worth every penny, especially if you have a long commute to work - mine is 1 hour - or spend a lot of time in your jeep...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in