XJ won't start after throttle body cleaning - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 08:02 PM Thread Starter
CodemanLivs
1995 XJ Cherokee 

XJ won't start after throttle body cleaning

95 XJ 4.0

While flushing the radiator I popped open the air box and noticed oil all over my air filter and intake tube. 45 seconds later Rag and carb cleaner in hand I pulled the intake tube off and proceeded to clean the throttle body best I could short of pulling the whole intake.
Keep in mind I was just wrapping up my radiator flush at which time I started and stop the engine at least 8 times to let the engine warm to norm. op. temp.. soon as I was satisfied with my clean up and intake and airbox was returned to normal I tried to start it. Just cranked , not even a sputter.
I can hear the fuel pump and still tried either.
No spark !!
Pulled the plugs thinking maybe I blasted a bunch of crap thru the intake. Nope
NO SPARK!!
Cap and rotor look great.
No power to coil!
Swapped relays around. Still nothing.
Pulled ASD relay only one of the 4 slots has 12v. Should be 2 right?
Is this where my prob lies?
How the hell??
Did I burn something up , carb cleaner usually evaporates pretty fast. Maybe a puddle of it was still in the IAC slot when the key was turned.
That the only think I can come up with

Any help would be much appreciated.

Oh ya. Pulled, cleaned and replaced the IAC too.

And of course I checked THOROUGHLY for broken or dislodged hoses and wires. Four times !!

Thanks
Codeman

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-14-2019, 09:47 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

With the ignition on, you should have 12v at two of the ASD relay terminals -- check for a blown fuse.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #3 of 4 Old 06-15-2019, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
CodemanLivs
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Got it running!
And your right mukluk. I was pretty sure I checked it with the key on, revisited the ASD relay and had 2 hot with ignition on.
Not sure exactly what the problem was.
It was super hard to start. Had to hold the key for a long time and she finally sputtered. 3 more long key holds and a slow sputtery start, pumping pumping the gas pedal like it had an old Holly carb.

Not sure what that was all about.
Word to the wise, if you clean your throttle body while it's still on the manifold, be prepared for a hard , rough start.
Guess I'm just used to ol Rusty firing right up. Have never even had it hesitate before.
Maybe it was a lose wire, or maybe it was a lose nut behind the wheel. Either way a happy ending!

post #4 of 4 Old 06-15-2019, 07:19 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Seems like something electrical got wet, (coolant temp sensor ?) or you somehow rebooted the ECM.

The OBD engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots, and the idle settings are deleted, when you: (1) let the battery run down by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) when the battery goes bad and needs replacing, (4) when the alternator is not properly charging the battery, (5) or when poor battery connections result in a voltage drop at the PCM or poor battery charging. Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. A faulty Coolant Temperature Sensor may also cause similar symptoms. Testing of the CTS is recommended as part of the diagnostics. A poor ground at the ignition coil can also cause similar symptoms.

The reboot symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal. (3) The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of driving and the engine will sometimes start and idle normally.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in