XJ cause me trouble - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-24-2020, 01:04 AM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

XJ cause me trouble

Hi all and greetings from Sweden.

My first post here, need some help gettig a 1997 XJ 4,0 back on the road.

I got the car from a friend, he has used it for hunting the last couple of years. I have done some work on it while he owned it, last year I replaced all engine core plugs meaning gearbox out etc, big job.

Since he didnt use it as his daily transport (raised, mudders etc) it was parked in a shed for most of the time. Every time he should go for a ride the battery was flat. Every time he struggled to get the remote key to unlock the car and unlock the immobilizer, but eventually it popped open and started and ran perfectly for the couple of weeks or days as long it was needed. Back into the shed and same story next time. Until now.

Something in the car has gone dead. Remote checked by locksmith and is said to be working, ie it is transmitting signals. However after a long time of trying to get the car "unlocked" he gave up and gave the car to me.

When starting the car engine starts and run for 2-3 seconds.
I started looking for what might be wrong and found information about that the engine ECU could be reprogrammed to start the engine without needing to be unlocked by the remote control system. Found a guy here in sweden that reprogrammed the ecu and the engine now starts and the car runs fine but some electrics dont work at all:
-Instrument cluster totally dead
-Horn
-Electric rear wiew mirrors
-Rear power windows dont work on rear buttons only front
-Rear doors dont unlock and is not possible to unlock or open not even manually

I have checked fuses and grounds as far as I can without taking the car apart. It is very possible that I have missed some hidden fuses or grounds.

After I got the ECU reprogammed I read somewhere that the remote immobilizer unlocking system also activates more than the engine, so the the car needs the remote key signal to get fully functional, is that a fact or a guess?

So, I have ran out of ideas and need help.

Ah, yeah, when the remote key system was impossible to get working we first turned to the dealer workshop. To old car they said, get a newer one... wasnt the reply we expected... so we are on our own here.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-24-2020, 09:07 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Something is wrong with the immobilizer module. Start and run for a couple of seconds is the key here. That's how the system works when it doesn't recognize the correct key.

Has he another fob or key? That's the easiest way to rule out the fob he is using.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 14 Old 09-26-2020, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

I understand the immobilizer system dont work as it should, but do the unlocking with the remote also "unlock" some functions in the car that dont work now? Immobilizer is only by electronic unlocking by remote, no transponder chip in the key as far as I have been able to understand.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-26-2020, 03:50 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

hoping my interpretation of VTSS is sound...

MY Thinking is look at circuit A7 starting at fuse 4 in the PDC.

this VEHICLE IS A LHD and a 4.0L gas engine?

anyway i am look for more VTTS info.. good luck and keep us posted - hunting is a priority,

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-26-2020, 06:31 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

OK your vehicle likely has a 'May and Scofield immobilizer" this was piggy back system added to European ( UK, etc).

OPtions are a major rewire OR get a 1997 PCM for a US jeep.

BUT I am still looking and learning, trying to get a wiring dia for this may and Scofield system.

Sounds very much like a later jeep SKIM - where PCM restricts some relay activation.

post #6 of 14 Old 09-26-2020, 10:45 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

The North America SKIM chip-in-key immobilizer is only an engine ignition interrupter, it had no other features or functions. I do not know what anti-theft system or features may have been installed for export vehicles.

Quote:
some electrics dont work at all:
-Instrument cluster totally dead
-Horn
-Electric rear wiew mirrors
-Rear power windows dont work on rear buttons only front
-Rear doors dont unlock and is not possible to unlock or open not even manually
Cluster: Common problem often solved by cleaning the contracts on the back of the cluster.

Mirrors/windows/power locks: Very likely a commonly failed drivers door master switch assembly, or wire harness failure inside the rubber bellows near the door hinges of the drivers door.

Rear doors: Common mechanical issues related to dirty/rusty locking and latching mechanisms. Clean latches and locking mechanisms front and rear with a throttle body cleaner and lubricate them with a CLP gun oil or other light oil.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #7 of 14 Old 09-27-2020, 12:46 AM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

Yes petrol straight six LHD. Will have a look at this, but confused about the rear doors. Central lock system dont unlock them and they can not be unlocked manually.
post #8 of 14 Old 09-27-2020, 12:48 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Rear doors: Common mechanical issues related to dirty/rusty locking and latching mechanisms.

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 14 Old 10-06-2020, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

Sorted most issues yesterday.
Rear doors; took away the doorcards doors still closed, to find a rusty mechanism, worked it and finally the door opened. Lubed it and pit the cards back. Thanks for that tlp!

Electrics; had checked fuses before but this time i took them out one by one. When put the 10A SKIM fuse back it popped immediately. Fitted a new one and it popped to. Same happened with the IOD 15A fuse. Took a 20A amp meter and connected it over the SKIM fuse, readings was over 20A as it showed - - - on the display. Had it connected for 2-3 seconds. Went into the car to find smoke and the smell of burned wirings. Smoke came from the console in the roof. Took away the console and found a badly burned connector and wiring at the SKIM circuit board. Cut the wires and back to the fuse box to meassure Amps again, now it showed 0. Found the broken IOD fuse and when I fitted a new one the summer warning started for key in lock qhen door is open. Started the engine and all gauges now works. Only electrics not working now is the power seats.
Thanks guys for all comments and help!
Monday the hunting season for moose starts and Jeep is ready to go into woods with dogs and guns!

Pics of burned SKIM card and wires.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20201006_152938_1602045400186.jpg   IMG_20201006_152926_1602045450551.jpg  
post #10 of 14 Old 10-08-2020, 08:12 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

SKIM is the Chip in the key antitheft system, with the chip reader at the ignition switch, and some programming in the PCM.

I believe what you have pictured is the key-less entry receiver module.

- Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 14 Old 10-08-2020, 10:26 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I am glad the jeep runs and you get in some hunting time, thats most important.

The European immobilize is integrated and the PCM is programmed to look for the signal .
I am still looking into it. Got me curious, now I gotta know.

You should start looking for a used PCM with USA configuration to have as the backup. Your up and running now and the search time is not as critical.

Keep me up to date on the hunt and the jeep.

post #12 of 14 Old 10-08-2020, 10:53 PM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

The PCM is that the "fusebox"?

IOD markings in the fusebox, is that "Interior Overhead Display" or what?
post #13 of 14 Old 10-10-2020, 09:14 PM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

Jeep passed test friday and is now fully road legal! 😊
post #14 of 14 Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Jeepswede

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
SKIM is the Chip in the key antitheft system, with the chip reader at the ignition switch, and some programming in the PCM.

I believe what you have pictured is the key-less entry receiver module.

Tim
From what I understand the key holds no immobilizer chip, it looks way to slim. The engine was not possible to start without locking and unlocking doors by the remote. If the car was left unlocked for some 10 minutes the immobilizer kicked in and to be able to start the locking/unlocking procedure had to be carried out.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in