Wrangler TJ Radio Amplifier Choke & Relay - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-27-2016, 05:36 PM Thread Starter
Commando50

Wrangler TJ Radio Amplifier Choke & Relay

The radio amp choke and relay on my 2004 TJ is bad. Any souces available on-line where I may purchase a replacement? Haven't tried my Jeep dealer but will do so tomorrow if there are no suggestions. Thanks in advance for any help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-27-2016, 05:39 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to the Audio & Electrical forum for you where such subjects are discussed.

I know what chokes and relays are but they're not standard or used with the TJ's factory radio. Are you talking about a choke and relay for an aftermarket amplifier?

And a big welcome to JF Commando!

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-27-2016, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Commando50

Thank you for the quick reply and welcome. Learned of the amp choke and relay in factory service manual and tested it today per manual instructions. It is shot. No after market amplifier and radio system is stock. Just surprised I cannot find one anywhere. Any help is most welcomed and appreciated.

post #4 of 8 Old 09-27-2016, 05:57 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

What manual says there is a choke and relay? I have the official 2004 Mopar Factory Service Manual & schematics and the stock radio has no relay or choke in its power circuit. The factory radio is powered directly by a pair of fuses, no choke or relay is in the circuit.

Are you talking about the amplifier for the subwoofer inside the center console? That is powered directly by a fuse in the PDC without a relay or choke in its power circuit either.
Attached Thumbnails
Radio.JPG   Subwoofer.JPG  

post #5 of 8 Old 09-28-2016, 10:17 AM Thread Starter
Commando50

Crazy That is a different schematic than my manual has. !! I have a CD manual that I bought on-line and is noted as for a 2004 TJ Jeep. Makes me wonder if it is a cut and pasted version.

I truly appreciate you posting your schematic and I will follow it to see if I can see what my problem is. (Power to the radio but no sound from speakers.)

Thank you and best regards.
post #6 of 8 Old 09-29-2016, 09:10 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

My TJ is a 2004 too and can verify that there's no relay or choke in the radio power circuit.

post #7 of 8 Old 04-24-2020, 10:44 PM
IainO
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Hi, just joined and have picked up this thread when looking at an issue with my 2001 Wrangler. I replaced the sub-woofer as an additional task when replacing the carpet (removed center console and sub-woofer speaker had eroded over time). I ordered a new speaker cone from Quadratech but no sound when I had refitted everything. I noticed an anomaly with the Chrysler Tech Manuals for the 2001 model in that I had to go to the 2002 Tech Manual to find the factory fitted sub-woofer and amp in the wiring diagrams (Chapter 8W). To cut a long story short my Jeep has an after market radio and the installer had made a mistake when installing the new radio.

The Radio Choke & Relay sits behind the front left speaker and is used to switch the 20A power supply (Fuse 3) to the sub-woofer amplifier and powered antenna (if fitted). In my case this was not connected and the radio installer had connected the radio output pin for the steering wheel remote to this relay - the relay was not energised and no power to the sub-woofer amp. I re-terminated the 12V powered antenna output from the aftermarket radio to the radio choke & relay pin and it all works fine.

The Chrysler manual doesn't show the location of the radio choke & relay in chapter 8W which makes it more confusing - but it is shown in Chapter 8A - Audio in the 2002 manual. Images attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot 2020-04-25 at 00.33.45.jpg  
Attached Images

post #8 of 8 Old 06-10-2021, 09:02 AM
TJW2002
2002 TJ Wrangler 

New user here - sorry to dig up an old thread, but I'm having a radio issue that seems to be connected to the amplifier choke and relay that was discussed here, although this is on a 2002 TJ. I can't find many other threads on this. My issue is that intermittently (typically on a warm start) the radio doesn't work (no power whatsoever - no clock & no sound) and the relay can be heard clicking away. I've replaced the relay, tried new ignition switch and checked grounds; all to no avail. Any thoughts on what to do next?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in