Wiring to the overhead garage door opener. - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 02-02-2018, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
GabrielWiese

2000 WJ 

Garage
Wj Wiring to the overhead garage door opener.

I saw in a different thread that someone wired their lights to their garage door opener, after he stated that he never said how. I have been looking on the internet for a wiring diagram but can't seem to find any. Can someone give me advice or a basic how to, because my Jeep WJ barely has room for addon switches and I think it would be nice to put something that never gets used to good use.
Thanks

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____
L/ŻŻ\\__|__|"/ŻŻŻ\=llllll=\
_(Ż))===)).....(Ż))===))Ż
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-03-2018, 06:38 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Sorry, but I'm not clear on what you're asking.
Do you wish to activate your door, using a headlight, or accessory light switch?

What I did was, I mounted a micro switch under the steering column. Then tapped into the circuit board of the door remote, which is mounted above the instrument cluster,
under the dash cover.

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #3 of 6 Old 02-03-2018, 10:20 PM Thread Starter
GabrielWiese

2000 WJ 

Garage
What I guess I am trying to ask is how would I be able to wire roof rack lights to the garage door opener. Instead of buying a new switch panel, can I just wire them to the garage door opener and use the 3 buttons as on/off switches. Sorry for the confusion.
-Gabe

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____

post #4 of 6 Old 02-05-2018, 07:42 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Still confused here!
Are you referring to a Homelink type, or a regular wireless?
I'm not sure it's possibly with either. Best bet would be to rethink your current set up, and just redo it.

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #5 of 6 Old 02-05-2018, 09:21 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

The issue with the homelink switches is that they are momentary contact. Pressing it closes the switch aas long as it's held and that sends the signal to the wireless transmitter built in to the Jeep.

What you are probably going to need to do is find some on-off micro switches and insert one onder the switch bezel and make that functional. That then could control a relay to run the lights.

The other possibility is to tie into the switch contacts with external wires and use a latching relay. I believe Hella has one for 12V use. That will need 2 switches, one to latch and one to unlatch.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #6 of 6 Old 02-08-2018, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
GabrielWiese

2000 WJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
The issue with the homelink switches is that they are momentary contact. Pressing it closes the switch aas long as it's held and that sends the signal to the wireless transmitter built in to the Jeep.

What you are probably going to need to do is find some on-off micro switches and insert one onder the switch bezel and make that functional. That then could control a relay to run the lights.

The other possibility is to tie into the switch contacts with external wires and use a latching relay. I believe Hella has one for 12V use. That will need 2 switches, one to latch and one to unlatch.
I think cranbiz is touching up on what I am thinking of, the garage door switch is momentary contact so it wouldn't keep the lights on. Is there another way to put different switches in there or are micro switches my best option? Plus, how would I wire these switches? These lights would be on the roof rack and wired to the garage door opener as a on/off switch.

._________.ooooo.
/ŻŻŻ|ŻŻ|ŻŻ\ŻŻŻŻŻ\,____

Tags
led light bars , LED lights , wiring , wiring diagram

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in