wiring heater to toggle switch - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 12-21-2010, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
robert1973

1977 CJ7 

wiring heater to toggle switch

Is this a bad idea? I just need a temporary way to power the blower motor through the winter. I plan on buying a painless to do whole jeep come spring time, I would like to run a wire straight from pos bat cable to a toggle switch and back to blower motor. I understand it will be full blast all the time and thats fine. I know i should put a fuse inline right after battery, will take suggestions on how many amp to use also. Is this a safe thing to do?

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
The Right is wrong and the Left is stupid
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-22-2010, 12:06 AM
fireschmoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert1973 View Post
Is this a bad idea? I just need a temporary way to power the blower motor through the winter. I plan on buying a painless to do whole jeep come spring time, I would like to run a wire straight from pos bat cable to a toggle switch and back to blower motor. I understand it will be full blast all the time and thats fine. I know i should put a fuse inline right after battery, will take suggestions on how many amp to use also. Is this a safe thing to do?
I would use a relay.

Relays are numbered with 87, 87a, 30, 85, 86.

Put the relay in your engine compartment by the blower motor. There will be a terminal sticking out for the motor that you will connect terminal 87 to via a 12 gauge wire.

Then take a 12 gauge wire and run it from terminal 30 to the battery, putting an inline fuse holder at the battery rated for 20 amps.

Next, ground terminal 85, and run an 18 gauge wire into the cab from terminal 86. Take this 18 gauge wire and hook it to your toggle switch. Then, take another 18 gauge wire and run it from the other terminal on your switch and run it to the fuse block, or to the back of one of the gauges. There will be an ignition terminal on the back of all the gauges that you could tie this 18 gauge wire into, I would recommend adding another small 3 amps fuse holder to this line as well.

That should be it. No harm in doing it whatsoever.

Patrick

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out our new Switch panel system! 1/32" thick, a smaller foot print than a dollar bill, and programmable!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-22-2010, 12:18 AM
chris87xj
RIP Chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

I would also use a relay, 12ga wire, and 20A fuse.
Most autoparts store switches are rated 10-15A or less which is cutting things a little close for blower motor power feed. Actually I've been running this "temporary" mod in my rig since last winter and it works well enough to not bother me into doing a real fix on it.

This schematic is a good representation to follow. In your case the blower motor would replace the foglights, and the indicator light probably isn't needed.

***Chris***

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

post #4 of 8 Old 12-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Holder350

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Personally I would use a switched source for the switch, that way even if the switch was ON when you turned the jeep off, the blower would quit and not run the battery down

95' XJ Country - Stock Skids - D30/D35 Limited Slip - 3" Lift - 31x10.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AX15 - NP231

98' XJ Classic - D30/C8.25 - 4.5" RC Lift - 33x12.50R15 - 4.0 HO - AW4 - NP231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Azzy View Post
You can tell the character of a person in how they treat someone who can do nothing for them.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-22-2010, 06:44 PM
Danbert
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

To simplify (with out having it switch off with ignition) you could place a switch on the ground side of the relay and tap the power for the relay control off the same fuse for the fan. also depending on where your fuse box is, it might make it so you arent running power into the dash and back out. (Can't remember if the fuse box in the jeep is in the engine bay or not.)
post #6 of 8 Old 11-17-2021, 06:27 AM
LT-Gamer

Have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee , Blower Moyer stopped working . Went through and replaced the resistor,it didn’t do a thing , checked fuses and all are good, Replaced blower motor ….. and still nothing . So I hooked up a toggle to the blower motor and it works great, power coming from a 15amp fuse , it blows on high . Sure wish it felt like high though . Can hardly feel any heat being pushed out.

Could it be the blend doors ?
post #7 of 8 Old 11-17-2021, 06:44 AM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Rather than resurrecting a decade old dead thread about a totally different vehicle than you're asking about, I suggest you start your own new thread.
I'd also suggest you post your thread in the tech forum specific to your Jeep. Your more likely to get the specific advice you need there: https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/

'09 JK Rubicon
'01 XJ Sport
'10 Fusion
post #8 of 8 Old 11-17-2021, 02:31 PM
LT-Gamer

Ok thank you

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in