2Likes
  • 1 Post By 4Low2G0
  • 1 Post By Eunit1979

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
smcg3
2011 WK 

Lightbulb Wiring auxiliary lights to high beams

I did a search for the use case I have for wiring some auxiliary lights to come on with the high beams, and I couldn't find the exact answer I was looking for so trying it as a fresh topic.

I have a set of light pods that I'm planning to mount behind the grill of my WK2 GC, and I'd like it to work the following way:
- Power (+) taken directly from battery, run through 15A fuse (& probably relay)
- Negative grounded to battery or frame
- dual output DT connectors (two light pods drawing 3A/38.5w each)
- switch in the cabin that has the following modes: off (never on), trigger on (lights on when triggered by high beams), always on (forces the lights on regardless of whether high beams are on or not).

I cannot for the life of me find a ready-made harness that does this. It's hard to just find harnesses that will trigger from a high beam wire. Is what I am trying to do that difficult or unusual? Can anyone who has done this or something similar share their experience?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
smcg3
2011 WK 

Ninja-adding:

I recognize that this 3-position use case is odd, and may require a custom or modified harness. Hearing from anyone with practical advice on that is ideal, but I'd also welcome advice or recommendations on a setup where it is triggered by the high beams, and there is a two position (on/off) switch in the cabin to determine whether the lights do or do not come on when the high beams are triggered. It's not exactly what I want, but if someone can point me to a good off-the-shelf harness that can do that then I'll be better off that I am now (I got nothing at the moment!)
post #3 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 03:55 PM
Eunit1979

Did this on my 96 XJ but I didn't have a switch in the compartment to turn them on all the time or off all the time. To work with the high beam switch all you do is take the trigger for the relay from the high beam wire right at the headlight. Wire that to your relay along with a ground trigger and wire from battery with fuse. To put that switch in there you would definitely need a one-way diode I wouldn't go in anything less than 6 amps to put into that line between the relay and the high beam wire that you tapped into otherwise every time you throw that switch on your high beams will also come on the switch could just be any small on-off switch with a low amp rating because all you're doing is switching the relay. Hope I explained this correctly. And I don't think there's anybody that makes that kind of harness you would have to make it up yourself as you go along not hard to do it all as all the wiring is under the hood and I would go to the fuse box find a spare fuse location put a wire in there and you run your fused circuits straight from your fuse box. Hope that helps.

post #4 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 03:58 PM Thread Starter
smcg3
2011 WK 

Ninja-add #2:
For reference, this is the closest I've been able to find to my use case so far.

This one has a switch, but no trigger wire for the high beam: https://www.amazon.com/Nilight-Conne...ustomerReviews
post #5 of 9 Old 06-21-2021, 05:26 PM Thread Starter
smcg3
2011 WK 

smcg3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eunit1979 View Post
To put that switch in there you would definitely need a one-way diode I wouldn't go in anything less than 6 amps to put into that line between the relay and the high beam wire that you tapped into otherwise every time you throw that switch on your high beams will also come on the switch could just be any small on-off switch with a low amp rating because all you're doing is switching the relay.
Interesting about the one way diode, had not heard of those before. I'll look into that as I figure this out!
post #6 of 9 Old 06-23-2021, 08:52 AM
Eunit1979

If you don't put the diode, everytime you used the switch to turn the lights on your high beam would turn on and probably pop the inline fuse
post #7 of 9 Old 06-23-2021, 10:46 PM
Akitadog
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Diodes
10pcs-10SQ050-Schottky-Rectifiers-Diode 50v 6amp

Mark
K6RZY

Joaquin Jeepers
post #8 of 9 Old 06-24-2021, 03:57 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I took the signal for high beams from the wire in the steering column,
ran that to a SPST switch on the dash to trip a relay in the engine compartment
that provides fused battery power to the aux lights.
when the switch is on, the aux lights come on with the high beams,
switch off and aux lights stay off.

if you use a DPDT switch and supply fused 12v to the extra pole of the switch,
the aux will illuminate in one position regardless of high beams,
with the hi beams in the other position and stay off in the off position.

Both ways requires only 1 wire through the firewall and no diodes as the
switch isolates the circuits.
Wyo likes this.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #9 of 9 Old 06-25-2021, 08:55 AM
Eunit1979

That's a good way too 4Low. I actually like that but not sure if that's what he wanted. But I like it.
4Low2G0 likes this.

Tags
lighting , wiring harness

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in