wire too large? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-15-2009, 10:28 PM Thread Starter
Anonymous6915
2009 JK Wrangler 

wire too large?

in gauge...

i bought two of these

im in the process on installing them but just for ****s and gigles, i connected them straight to my power source to see how bright they were....no go...i used 12ga. wire...is it overkill or am i just doing something wrong? im not 100% on my ground so i will see if thats the problem tomorrow,

jus wondering about the wire...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Danbert
1983 FSJ Wagoneer 

12awg wire is not too big for those lights. They should work although you should verify with the manufacturer what the proper size to run is.
For the most part you cant get in trouble using too big of a wire.
But even if the wire were too small, it should still pass enough to light the bulb even a little. Definitely check your ground.
post #3 of 5 Old 09-16-2009, 08:09 AM
SirGCal
RIP

In this situation; basically you can never be too large. It is overkill perhaps but not by much. I actually wire almost all aftermarket lights with 12 AWG wire.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.

post #4 of 5 Old 09-16-2009, 08:17 AM
SirGCal
RIP

As for them not lighting up, my bet is you didn't have something connected very securely making a poor contact. Also the bulb might be broken (it happens sometimes during shipping though rare) or some lights require internal grounding during installation, but if so those instructions should have come with the lights. That may actually be the case here though because I see that far more often on cheap imitation type lights which these are. (not that it's bad, but...)

My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-16-2009, 04:35 PM
Engine_HP
2000 WJ 

12awg is fine, as what SirGCal "said you can never be too large."

Jeep Grand Cherokee 2000
SONY XPLOD CDX-GT420U,
Power Acoustic BAMF 5500/1 Amplifier,
2 Type R 15 Dual 4ohms,
Ported 7.07'cu Tuned 34hz
Big 3 1/0 Gauge wire.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in