What CB radio seems to hold up the best? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 38 Old 12-12-2020, 03:48 PM
Harriedtwo

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
RapidRob, I received a Cobra CB for my birthday to replace my old CB since it was fading away. Everything is in the handheld part and the other part will reside somewhere under the dash. The Las Cruces 4x4 club is starting to switch to a different radio system for the Chile Challenge since distance is not such an issue. I've used some of the FMR units when hiking but they are not as reliable as I thought they would be.

Best wishes on your install and while out riding. I'm staying at home these days since I haven't installed the new trackbar and I don't want the darn COVID since both my wife and I are in the High Risk category.

Vietnam was so long ago, but the memories from that time never go away. (Army 67-70; 412th Trans Co, 2nd LOG)

Harried Harry
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Wife: 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 38 Old 12-12-2020, 04:10 PM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
What radio system are they going to?

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #18 of 38 Old 12-23-2020, 03:00 AM
Ozzy379

I I had a Uniden 520 and it was a screamer right out if the box. It had a good set of ears too. I do not use my squelch at all. Which is why I went with the 520. It has adjustable RF gain. Stock microphone works best with it. I experimented with a noise canceling mic. They can't get the radio modulated. If you or someone else decides to go with that radio later one. You won't be disappointed.

post #19 of 38 Old 12-23-2020, 10:47 AM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapidrob View Post
What radio system are they going to?
I just checked their bylaws and it still says CB in there. But if they are following the general trend it'll be to GMRS/FRS. Jeep Jamborees will be requiring GMRS/FRS vs CB starting 2021. Smaller equipment and antennas easier to tune usually comes already tuned. FM vs AM sound quality. Repeater access.

CB is kind of losing steam with a lot of groups. It's still out there for sure but not near as much as it used to be. I think with this new solar cycle coming in CB may "wake up" again for those still using it. I run HAM, GMRS/FRS, and CB right now. It's pretty much the only way to effectively "cover the bases" when it comes to the fractured comms landscape of the off road community.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #20 of 38 Old 12-23-2020, 11:19 AM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
I bought a Wison FLEX antenna for the rear mount of my ZJ. The antenna SWR is so high it is not safe to transmit.
I had to buy a roof top magnetic mount to see if I can get the SWR down to normal readings.
The FCC HAM exam is next month and I hope to get one of the two licenses.
I use Family Band radios now for the shooting club I run and they are pretty poor.111p

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #21 of 38 Old 12-24-2020, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
The magnetic mount showed up today and the SWR is now very low. I could reach a trucker at 6 miles.
More than what I need.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #22 of 38 Old 12-26-2020, 12:36 AM
Harriedtwo

2011 JK Wrangler 

Garage
Rapidrob, I don't know. The group has been very quiet for the past few months so I'll try to get in touch with them to find out. If they are switching, it will be primarily for the club as it operates the various trail rides. We've had issues in the past regarding a lot of vehicles spread out over a lot of trail. I know of several trails where we had to have someone in the center of the group aid in relaying messages and information regarding issues like stuck vehicles, breakdowns, etc.

Harried Harry
2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon.
Wife: 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited
post #23 of 38 Old 12-26-2020, 06:42 AM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
OK, just let me know as I'm getting my HAM license ( Tech) in January. If the club is going to be on a FCC General Band I'll need to get busy with my studies for that license and radio purchase.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #24 of 38 Old 12-26-2020, 08:12 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
I bought a Wison FLEX antenna for the rear mount of my ZJ. The antenna SWR is so high it is not safe to transmit.
I do not care for the Wilson FLEX antenna with the little wire tail on it. I have much better results tuning for a low SWR with the FireStik FS that have the tuning tip. The longer the antenna length, the easier it is to tune, and it will have a wider bandwidth of channel coverage with a good SWR.
Jerry Bransford likes this.
post #25 of 38 Old 01-04-2021, 11:32 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
OK, just let me know as I'm getting my HAM license ( Tech) in January. If the club is going to be on a FCC General Band I'll need to get busy with my studies for that license and radio purchase.
I seriously doubt that they will be using HF for trail comms, which would require a General ticket. The radio's are larger, the antenna's are larger and everything is more expensive.They will use either 2M or 70CM thru a repeater if they need distance. The cheap Chicom radios work in these bands ($30 Baofeng HT or a 4 channel QYT mobile for $80) A decent dual band mobile by one of the big 3 (Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom) come in around $300

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #26 of 38 Old 01-05-2021, 04:31 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I seriously doubt that they will be using HF for trail comms, which would require a General ticket. The radio's are larger, the antenna's are larger and everything is more expensive.They will use either 2M or 70CM thru a repeater if they need distance. The cheap Chicom radios work in these bands ($30 Baofeng HT or a 4 channel QYT mobile for $80) A decent dual band mobile by one of the big 3 (Kenwood, Yaesu or Icom) come in around $300
+1 the tech level license is going to probably do everything you want to do in a Jeep unless you get into really long distance stuff.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension
post #27 of 38 Old 01-05-2021, 09:43 PM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
I have the option to also take the General exam at the same time as the Tech exam. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on for the exam. It would be nice to open up more band width and frequencies.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #28 of 38 Old 01-06-2021, 06:44 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have the option to also take the General exam at the same time as the Tech exam. I'm reading everything I can get my hands on for the exam. It would be nice to open up more band width and frequencies.
Absolutely, as long as you pass an element, the session can continue for the next level exam for your one exam fee. So, if you pass both the Tech and the General exams, you can also take the Extra. Even if you are not ready for the next level exam, take it. If you pass, great, if not, then what you get is a look at the exam for the next time.

I have seen examinee's come in for a Tech and leave with an Extra. Granted, that's rare. Our last session we had one Tech candidate leave with his General.

Good luck.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #29 of 38 Old 01-06-2021, 08:35 AM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
I live on the side of a mountain at 8,000 feet ASL and never really thought about becoming a HAM operator. While any antenna I could legally put up won't clear the summit of the mountain, I can clearly transmit South,West,and North with no issues. Sandia Mountain is only 14 miles away due West of my home with tons of repeaters and the like all over its summit.
Even a mobile unit here should do well if properly set up.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS
post #30 of 38 Old 01-16-2021, 04:35 PM Thread Starter
Rapidrob

1998 ZJ 

Garage
I got my Tech license today and missed the General by two questions. I'll take the General exam again next month.
The left has now imposed a fee of 35 dollars to get your license which was free for me today. I'll have to pay for the General License if I pass the exam next month unless they hold off passing the Fee requirement.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

'Nam Vet
Tin Can Sailor
President
NM MILSURPS

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in