JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   What CB radio seems to hold up the best? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/what-cb-radio-seems-hold-up-best-4418301/)

McFuddlenuts 03-18-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapidrob (Post 41146377)
I just did a trial fit and the radio and the quick release bracket will fit between the drivers seat and the center consul with room to spare.
I also noted that the CB radio will fit in the space where either of the sun-glass holders are in the overhead for those of you who want it above your head. That would make a very neat installation.

Iím looking at the Uniden 505xl, it seems to be about the same size. What it holding that in place between the seats? Bracket? Iím trying to find room in my TJ, and that looks like a decent option.

Thanks!

Rapidrob 03-18-2021 04:55 PM

My radio is so small it is in-between the passenger seat and the floor consul. A piece of Velcro is holding it in place. I can remove it from the Jeep in just a few seconds. Since I posted the topic I have really enjoyed the President "Bill" radio. I have made contacts at distances with my magnetic Tram antenna I would not have thought was possible just a few years ago.

A very high quality radio.

McFuddlenuts 03-19-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rapidrob (Post 41227513)
My radio is so small it is in-between the passenger seat and the floor consul. A piece of Velcro is holding it in place. I can remove it from the Jeep in just a few seconds. Since I posted the topic I have really enjoyed the President "Bill" radio. I have made contacts at distances with my magnetic Tram antenna I would not have thought was possible just a few years ago.

A very high quality radio.

Very cool. Iíve got a 4í firestik that Iíll be pairing it with. I had originally thought I was just going to pair it with a handheld Uniden using a PL259 to BNC adapter but the more I think about it, I might want something a little more permanent.

My dad has his tech cert for ham, has had it since they required you to know Morse code and has been encouraging me to go that route as well but the testing here outside Atlanta has dried up.

Rapidrob 03-19-2021 12:47 PM

Since I posted the new CB radio I've taken the two test and gotten my FCC General license and am working on my Extra exam. Old Dog new tricks sort of a thing with me.
Both types of radio communications are a good thing out here as cell phone service can be very poor here in NM.
Normal CB is good for 5-7 miles, and with the 5 Watt VHF/UHF Ham radio being good for 85 miles or more as per the contacts I've made so far.That depends on Simplex or if I hitting a repeater.

DonL3 04-16-2021 04:50 AM

Hand held radios

For CB: I like the Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio (on amazon)
with a "Lil Will" mag mount auto antenna

For GMRS/FRS: I like the BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black) (kit with goodies) and a
Bingfu Ham Radio Vehicle Car Mobile Radio Antenna Dual Band VHF UHF 136-174MHz 400-520MHz Magnetic Base PL259 Male Antenna

Using a couple of Panavise mounts I can have both radios on the dash while on the trail, and stow them in the console when I am off the trail.

I also use a handheld CB or another GMRS/FRS handheld when spotting on the trail.

CountryZJ 05-04-2021 11:14 PM

I have a president adams with a 4 foot firestik antenna tuned by one the local shops in my area I have no complaints with it

CountryZJ 05-04-2021 11:15 PM

Local cb shop owner said that it's the most popular among the Jeep clubs in my area

cbmadcow 05-31-2021 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonL3 (Post 41250919)
For CB: I like the Midland 75-822 40 Channel CB-Way Radio (on amazon)
with a "Lil Will" mag mount auto antenna

For GMRS/FRS: I like the BaoFeng UV-5R Dual Band Two Way Radio (Black) (kit with goodies) and a
Bingfu Ham Radio Vehicle Car Mobile Radio Antenna Dual Band VHF UHF 136-174MHz 400-520MHz Magnetic Base PL259 Male Antenna

Using a couple of Panavise mounts I can have both radios on the dash while on the trail, and stow them in the console when I am off the trail.

I also use a handheld CB or another GMRS/FRS handheld when spotting on the trail.

Can you post which Panavise mounts you are using? I have both those radios and want to mount them in my Jeep also?.

The time now is 06:39 AM.