JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   What CB radio seems to hold up the best? (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/what-cb-radio-seems-hold-up-best-4418301/)

Rapidrob 12-02-2020 03:31 PM

What CB radio seems to hold up the best?

I've been out of CB radios for a very long time. My last radio was a Pierce Simpson Panther SSB radio pushing x10 linear amp.( After-burner Plus tube set)

today for my ZJ I was thinking it would be nice to have another CB radio. Where I will be riding there is no Cell service.
I've been looking at two radios for my ZJ since I want the radios small to fit where I want to put them.
1. President Electronics "Bill" FCC..so far this is the smallest radio I've seen for sale. a solid 4 WATT ( not adjustable) radio wit a 6 mile transmission as per Youtube test.
2. Uniden 510 Pro XL which also has good reviews and very inexpensive to purchase.
No idea as to what antenna I will use, magnetic or permanent.
On the P/S Panther for my FJ-40 I used a 1/2 wave stainless steel whip antenna on a spring. It was tuned by me and worked very well.
What are the radios you using that works well, fits the ZJ Jeep and folks can hear you clearly off of your antenna for 2020?

CJ7-Tim 12-02-2020 04:45 PM

CB is still the most common way for trail communication with the people in your group, or people nearby when on the roads. These days there is hardly anyone on CB, and you would be extremely lucky to reach anyone else with emergency communications. With some basic knowledge and few practice tests, you can get your Ham Radio license and communicate from almost anywhere with the right set-up.

Right Channel Radios has good CB buying and installing guides. www.rightchannelradios.com/blogs/learning-center

As in the olden days of CB, cheap radios and cheap antennas are cheap for reason. President and Uniden make good radios. New Cobra radios are not worth the money compared to the old ones. I use Wilson magnet mount antennas and Firestik permanent mount antennas. 1/2 wave whips are annoying, and most 4x4 clubs and organized 4x4 events do not allow them for spectator safety.

4Low2G0 12-03-2020 03:44 PM

What Tim said.

I have a Uniden in the Jeep with the controls in the Mic. so it is easy to remove and stash in the console
and a fire stick antenna tuned by me. This set up works as well as can be expected.

It only gets used on the trail when others have CB.
On the road, not many people on, seems the truckers don't even use it anymore.
I think the Rubber Duck went 10-7 years ago LOL. What chatter I do hear is usually in Spanish

I have considered switching to GMARS. Also We have a pair of hand held FRS radios
we sometimes bring along. Nice for Jeep to Jeep or spotter to Jeep LOL

soberbyker1 12-03-2020 04:56 PM

The Uniden 510xl Pro, or 520xl Pro (a few more features for a couple bucks more) is built like a tank. I have the 520 as a backup at work when I'm in a different tri-axle dump truck. It's great little unit. Pair it with a Little Wil magnetic antenna and you're up and running for not much money.

V8GCZJ 12-03-2020 06:26 PM

Quote:

I think the Rubber Duck went 10-7 years ago LOL.

The last time i heard anybody use the 10 codes was watching Smokey And The Bandit. I happen to dig out my old modded ham rig(26-32mhz) And it's nothingness across all of it not even skip. Can hear some CW way off in the ham ban but that's it. I'm surprised that old hammers still use it.

Rapidrob 12-03-2020 10:12 PM

I asked the president of New Mexico's oldest and largest off-roading club and he replied tonight that they do in fact use CB radios to communicate with each other as they ride.

Both hand held and mounted radios.
Thank you for all the replies.....good buddy. Put the petal to the metal and let her roar.....that's a Falcon 214....KHK7093....Out.

CrustySprings 12-04-2020 08:01 AM

While I have a Kenwood 2 meter Ham radio mounted in the Jeep, I also have a Uniden 520 XL Pro Cb. I use the CB much more often on trail rides.

KI5JCQ

Jerry Bransford 12-06-2020 04:03 PM

Uniden's Pro 520xl and Pro 510xl are both tough to beat for reliability. Same with Firestik antennas.

For offroading CBs are still king and the most popular for trail communications. I have both a CB and 2 meter ham radio in my TJ and use the 4 watt CB 99 times to each time I use my 75 watt ham radio.

Airstreamer67 12-07-2020 11:49 AM

I'm in the Uniden 520 camp too.

When I need a radio in the Jeep, I plop a 55-inch Wilson 500 mag mount antenna on the hood of my TJ, get the coax through the passenger-side window and connect it to the Uniden, which is mounted temporarily in the cabin.

My setup communicates well. When I don't need it anymore, the antenna and radio are out in a minute.

The Wilson tunes to a low SWR where I put it, and with no RF interference from the engine, life is good.

Rapidrob 12-07-2020 03:45 PM

After much reading,comparing warranties, and overall size and where to put it, I went with the President Electronics BILL FCC. This radio will fit between the drivers seat cushion and the center consul with room to spare for cooling and sound. It is the smallest CB radio that is in one piece being sold today.
I made my own antenna bracket and will be installing the Wilson Flex 4' tune-able antenna.
I have started the process of getting my HAM License and will use the "ash-tray" mounting idea or other location for that radio.

There are combo radios that are several HAM frequencies as well as CB that are not larger than the Uniden 520 radio. If I go with that radio later on, I will move the CB radio to my VW TDI Passat Wagon.

wpod 12-08-2020 01:44 AM

I'm running a Galaxy DX47HP, Hustler antenna, and a static mic.
A friend of mine had a Connex and we experimented on I-80 across the Bonneville Salt Flats. At 30 miles the signal faded to where it no longer sounded like the other guy was sitting next to you. At 45 miles we were no longer line of sight because of the curve of the Earth, so it was staticy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rapidrob 12-08-2020 05:52 AM

That was pretty darn good.

Jerry Bransford 12-08-2020 07:34 PM

Keep in mind that HF signals like 27 MHz CB are not line of sight like VHF, UHF, and higher frequencies are.

Rapidrob 12-11-2020 11:05 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The CB Radio showed up this morning. The quality is first rate and the housing is cast aluminum. The speaker opening is tough plastic. The radio will just fit into the palm of my hand.
Too many features to list.

President Electronics BILL FCC model.

Rapidrob 12-11-2020 11:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just did a trial fit and the radio and the quick release bracket will fit between the drivers seat and the center consul with room to spare.
I also noted that the CB radio will fit in the space where either of the sun-glass holders are in the overhead for those of you who want it above your head. That would make a very neat installation.

The time now is 06:12 PM.