Used commander - strange device and wiring - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 02:32 AM Thread Starter
tonykenny

Used commander - strange device and wiring

Hi All,

Just bought our first Jeep yesterday, a used 2007 Commander Limited with all the trimmings. Overall a beauty!

Two interesting things we've found.

First, this device attached to the windscreen with the cable that goes into the ceiling. Appears to have LEDs (IR?) and sensors the other side of a metal strip with red lenses. Some sort of rain sensor maybe?

Second, a lovely hole in the top of the dash revealed 4 cables that must have been used by a previous owner. The wired are red, black, blue and white. The black and the blue are really quite thick multi strand. I've not had time to get my multimeter out yet and see if there's any sign of life and haven't yet taken the head unit out to see where they go. I'm hoping that they are some sort of audio input with the red/black being permanent 12v which would be immensely useful!

If you know what these might be, please do offer your thoughts. In the meantime, i'll try and get a meter on them today and maybe write a letter to the previous registered keeper to see if he knows.

many thanks in advance!
Tony

Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2745.jpg   DSC_2747.jpg   DSC_2754.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 11:25 PM Thread Starter
tonykenny

The cables appear to have no power on them and I've traced them under the dash going over the instrument cluster but couldn't see any further.

Re the audio input, I found that if I feed audio into the DVD player aux inputs then the head unit picks this up, eventually. As i had the dash off anyway, I located where these connect and spliced my own connection in, however, doing it this way and it takes a bit more effort to convince the head unit that there's a signal. i either have to insert a DVD and then stop it playing, or connect audio to the DVD end first. Maybe the DVD players sends something more than just audio to inform the head unit, or it has a preamp stage that increases the signal to a level the HU can detect? I do get a lovely high pitch squeal when connected, but that's going to be easily sorted.
post #3 of 6 Old 08-25-2019, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
tonykenny

And another interesting device. This time in the engine compartment, on the driver's side (UK). A silver box with about 12cm long and about 8cm wide. That single plastic cable sheath heads off into the engine compartment somewhere but i can't see where. The label has worn off so no idea what it is. Appears to be mounted with a single tie wrap so I'm not convinced this is factory fitted.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_2756.jpg  

post #4 of 6 Old 08-26-2019, 11:49 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The wire colours match up with those typically found on a brake controller, used on a tow vehicle to control electric brakes on a trailer. Does your vehicle have a tow hitch and a five, six, or seven pin trailer plug outlet?

Thinking of things the other way 'round, was your Commander towed behind a larger vehicle by the previous owner? The mystery wires and components could have been for a brake actuator for the towed vehicle, with the red LED on the windshield serving as an indicator of brake function of the towed vehicle.

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #5 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
tonykenny

Thank you for the suggestions. Yes, the car has a towbar attachment and single electrics but without the actual tow bar. Unfortunately, I don't know anything about the previous owners so can't say if the vehicle was towed or not.
The red LED on the window however also include sensors opposite each LED so I'm not sure if they're intended to indicate anything rather I suspect they are infrared and designed to detect something.
post #6 of 6 Old 08-27-2019, 12:52 PM Thread Starter
tonykenny

I searched for 'jeep rain sensor' and found this which look identical to the red lens on the windscreen.
https://www.ozautomoulds.com.au/rain...ysler-mercedes
So I think that mystery is solved, just leaving the wires and the silver box under the hood.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in