Upgrading Sound System - No Experience?!?! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 11-25-2015, 10:42 AM Thread Starter
rebecca77
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Upgrading Sound System - No Experience?!?!

I'm new to the world of jeeps and i love mine so far. My only problem is we bought it used and the stock sub is blown. The stock sound is awful and nothing like my old car... I love my music and i love my jeep, but i want it to sound good again. Ive done research and I'm looking to upgrade the sub in the center console and i already have a new head unit and speakers picked out. My only concern is finding a sub thats good quality, not that expensive, and can fit in the center console where the stock one is currently. Also, will i need an amp too, and will that fit with it in the console?

Id like to keep everything fairly simple since I have no experience with sound systems and wiring, and will most likely have my boyfriend or dad install everything for me. I don't want to bring it to a shop to have it done because I don't want to spend the money, but my dad has installed head units in his pervious cars. The only thing Im concerned about is the sub (and maybe needing an amp?)

Ive read a lot about people putting subs under their back seats or in their trunks (what little trunks jeeps have), but id rather not do that.

Any advice?? It would be greatly appreciated!!! Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 11-25-2015, 11:12 AM
Poswald
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You do have a couple options. You can stick with the stock amp and purchase a replacement sub from Quadratec. That would be the cheapest route and is a direct fit to the current sub box, but bass will be limited due to stock amp output. If you are going with an aftermarket sub, it will be better to pair it up with an aftermarket amp. Plus, you can connect to the amp output on the stereo. Cost will be substantially more depending on what amp and sub you select. If you are wanting to put a sub in the stock location, you can remove the stock speaker from the sub-box and install a 6 to a 6.5 inch sub speaker. Just make sure it is a shallow depth sub as there isn't a lot of room in the stock sub box. You will get better bass over stock sub going this method, but it will not be as good as larger subs in a separate enclosure behind the seat.

I did the amp and added a 6 inch Bazooka speaker to the stock location. I do get more bass, but its not real deep due to the size of the speaker box. Hope this helps.
post #3 of 4 Old 11-25-2015, 01:15 PM
Neil F.
2003 TJ Wrangler 

The simple way is to add a power sub enclosure. There are a number of them available (and more new ones I have seen pop up recently) I have and others like the Sound Ordinance 8. I have mine under the rear seat in addition to the stock sub. From other threads, the Sound Ordinance will fit in the console if you remove the stock sub enclosure

post #4 of 4 Old 11-25-2015, 02:33 PM
frenchy206

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebecca77 View Post
only concern is finding a sub thats good quality, not that expensive, and can fit in the center console:
As mentioned above, you can replace with small sub that will fit in the stock enclosure, or add a box and sub that will take up the already small trunk space.

There is another option, which isn't cheap, however it will give you amazing bass and will fit in the stock center console. This is what I did and I've had no regrets.

SSV Works makes a box that fits perfectly in the stock location. It holds a 10" shallow mount sub. I believe the box alone will run you north of 200 bucks. Then, you'll need a quality sub, for around the same price. To push all that sound, you'll need at least a 500 watt amp. Get a physically small size amp. You can either mount it behind the dash or under the rear seats. All said and done your around the $600 range. The sound I get is amazing. Loud, deep, clean bass, even with the doors and top off.

03 TJ Rubicon

Tags
bass , sound , speakers , stereo system , sub woofer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in