Uconnect update failure - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 01-10-2020, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
NellieBell
2014 WK 

Uconnect update failure

I have a 14 WK2 3.0L diesel. I received the uconnect usb update in the mail in December. I needed to do the update because when I did the last wireless update, I had a lot of issues. I had to take the jeep to the dealer for a reset, and my uconnect has not been the same since.

I would start my jeep, and my uconnect would not come on for 3-4 minutes sometimes. My AC would be blowing max at 75 degrees. My clock wouldn't keep the right time. My screen would flash that my vehicle phone needed service and to call the dealer. My GPS flat out didn't work. The dealer told me they didn't know what to do unless I wanted to pay them all kinds of money. I was excited to do this usb update because maybe it would fix all my issues. It seemed so official and legit!

I ran my diesel jeep in the driveway (which isn't good for it anyway) and put the usb in. I cleaned my jeep the whole time, so I could keep my eye on the progress. The update failed after about 20 minutes. Not only did it fail, my uconnect was rotating through all sorts of alerts, as if on a loop. I turned off my jeep and sighed. I will try again a different time. It was Christmas Day.

I went out to start my jeep the next morning to go to work. My jeep would not turn on, but was stuck in ACC, my wipers were going even though they were off, every alert on my spedometer was going off - from service shifter to the air suspension needs serviced, to change oil, etc. I could not shut any of this off. I immediately called uconnect. As I was on the phone with a uconnect rep, my jeep died. The whole process took approx 5 minutes for this to happen. The uconnect rep was very surprised to hear this kind of malfunction happened with their update. At this point I had no power to my jeep at all. The uconnect rep said I would need to get my jeep to the dealer, which I would be responsible for the cost of towing.
They cannot guarantee anything will be paid for by uconnect, and it may be on a reimbursement basis, but they will need to Have a diagnosis first. I gave them the name and number of the dealer, and proceeded to call my insurance.

Over the course of the next week, I called uconnect 5 times with no calls back. I had a road trip coming up and would need a rental, but still no phone call. The dealer said the problem was my stereo and I would need a new one at the cost of $900 for refurbished. They told me that they charged my battery and disconnected the stereo so it would not draw on the battery. As the date to my road trip drew closer, I called the dealer. Still no contact from uconnect. The dealer said I could drive my jeep, I just would not be able to control the heat without my stereo (a lot of good that would do me since I live in Michigan and it's freezing). The dealer tried to start my jeep to see if there was some way to control the heat without the stereo, and my jeep was completely dead. Another call to uconnect with no response.

Uconnect called me 12 days after my initial call to them. I was on vacation at this point. I did call them back, but big surprise, was sent to voicemail, and did not receive a call back. The dealership tested my battery and it is now bad. There is less than 3V running to it. They quoted me $375 for a new battery. I told them I would come get the battery and replace it myself. I had it tested, and it was indeed completely unusable. I bought a new one at Costco for $188 and will install it tomorrow.

My question is this - why would by battery (which was completely FINE) now be bad? I should have gotten 7-11 years out of this battery. I do the usb update and now I have a destroyed battery? And this is with the stereo disconnected. My theory is that I will drop the new battery in, and by monday, it too will be dead. I am wondering if this is a BCM issue....I have been doing a little research on BCM, and can drain the battery with the stereo disconnected. BMC also works hand in hand with the stereo...anyone else having any of these issues either with uconnect totally destroying your jeep, or with the bcm?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 02-03-2020, 08:15 PM
ScowHound
2008 WK 

Wow, just Wow. No help here, but you must be frustrated with no response. Mine: 2008 WK Limited bought used May 2019. Premium 7" Touchscreen Radio, seems to have a mind of its own. Seems to be heat build-up as it gets pistol hot. Turned down screen brightness, in an effort to generate less heat. I'll be starting a thread on my various Hacks that I'm trying, as I'm not about to shell out $600+ for a new POS radio to replace the old POS radio.. I took it out and I see a sticker with a 2016 tech code on the case, leading me to believe the radio was replaced/refurbished. Really just responding to say "I feel your Pain". Did you get the Jeep back yet. These Manufacturers need to stand behind their Schtuff. I was hoping to get a UConnect update that might fix the glitching, but now I'm afraid of that, hearing your troubles. I see no reason the Radio could kill a battery in a week, but I guess a deep discharge with continual drain could do that.I wonder if the power of the internet could expose that there is a systemic electronic defect that deserves a recall. Upwards of $1k times thousands of customers for repairs that fail shortly thereafter. Been a week or so, what's the update? Did you not have a vehicle this whole time?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in