Uconnect makes noise when car is off. - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
bbqjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 36
Uconnect makes noise when car is off.

I recently purchased a 2016 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk.
It has the Uconnect audio and vehicle control center.

When I'm in the car, with it off, key out of the ignition, I can hear a sound coming from the unit. (not the speakers)
It's rather faint, but still noticeable, and would be rather annoying if say one wanted to get a quick nap, or sit quietly.
It's not quite the same as, but somewhat reminiscent of a fax machine trying to make a connection.
Is this normal, is it trying to signal the mothership?

Anyone else have this little experience?

bbqjoe is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
bbqjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 36
Here's a recording of the noise.

bbqjoe is offline  
post #3 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 02:57 PM
FireMedic82
Registered User
 
FireMedic82's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marianna
Posts: 897
I haven't dealt with any UConnect units thus far, but I have heard this sound in other situations. This may sound crazy. But, if this sound happens frequently, remove any mobile electronics from the Jeep to see if it stops it. Amongst the dial-up sounds, the tapping sound is one that brought my past experiences to mind. In my case, I found out that it was interference with my mobile phone's frequency. I could always predict an incoming call before it came through, because of the rhythmic tapping that came through the audio system.

By chance, does this only happen when, for instance, you've come to a stop, switched the ignition off, then sat there (before opening the door)?

https://www.cnet.com/news/faq-the-41...-interference/

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
FireMedic82 is offline  
 
post #4 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 03:03 PM Thread Starter
bbqjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
I haven't dealt with any UConnect units thus far, but I have heard this sound in other situations. This may sound crazy. But, if this sound happens frequently, remove any mobile electronics from the Jeep to see if it stops it. Amongst the dial-up sounds, the tapping sound is one that brought my past experiences to mind. In my case, I found out that it was interference with my mobile phone.

By chance, does this only happen when, for instance, you've come to a stop, switched the ignition off, then sat there (before opening the door)?

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I know for sure I can go out to the car after it's sat all night and it's still doing it.
I'm going to try taking a drive without my phone, away from my house and Wifi and see if anything changes.
I've only had this car but a few days.
bbqjoe is offline  
post #5 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 03:14 PM
FireMedic82
Registered User
 
FireMedic82's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marianna
Posts: 897
I edited my previous reply with a link about the interference I mentioned.

I know some headunits in GM vehicles take a bizarrely long amount of time to fully power off, but I'm not familiar with the Jeep headunits. Does the headunit screen light up at all when you first open the door? If so, I wouldn't rule out interference. Doing as you plan, driving and "running it through it's paces" without any mobile electronics will be the best way for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
FireMedic82 is offline  
post #6 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
bbqjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
I edited my previous reply with a link about the interference I mentioned.

I know some headunits in GM vehicles take a bizarrely long amount of time to fully power off, but I'm not familiar with the Jeep headunits. Does the headunit screen light up at all when you first open the door? If so, I wouldn't rule out interference. Doing as you plan, driving and "running it through it's paces" without any mobile electronics will be the best way for sure.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
I did a whole bunch of tests.
Drove away from the house without my phone. It quit making the noise.
Drove back to the house...there it is again.

Went through the house shutting things down one at a time.
Cell phones, computers wifi...nothing stopped the noise.

Then I did one last thing, and I believe I have it figured out.
The house sits in a little valley surrounded by hills.
On a good day, I might have 1/100th of a cell signal.

I think this thing is just being busy looking for a cell signal to attach to.
bbqjoe is offline  
post #7 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 05:31 PM
FireMedic82
Registered User
 
FireMedic82's Avatar
2006 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Marianna
Posts: 897
Ah! You may just be onto something there. Now I'm wondering if the noise is only produced when the headunit hasn't powered off entirely. The vast majority of my days doing car audio installs was in the early 2000's, so I'm not up to speed, but I can't imagine why or how it could produce sound once it's powered down completely. So maybe it's only happening at that time? Luckily it would mostly be when you're not in it, if that is the case anyway.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
FireMedic82 is offline  
post #8 of 8 Old 10-14-2019, 05:45 PM Thread Starter
bbqjoe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Posts: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
Ah! You may just be onto something there. Now I'm wondering if the noise is only produced when the headunit hasn't powered off entirely. The vast majority of my days doing car audio installs was in the early 2000's, so I'm not up to speed, but I can't imagine why or how it could produce sound once it's powered down completely. So maybe it's only happening at that time? Luckily it would mostly be when you're not in it, if that is the case anyway.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
The thing is, I don't think these units ever completely shut down.
Especially since it's not just a stereo.
Absolutely everything else runs through this thing.
All the HVAC, lighting options, and just about everything else you used to have a knob or button on the dash for can be controlled through this thing.
Something has to remain on in the background for you to be able to start the car from across the world with your cell phone.
There isn't even an off button for these things.

Technology.....
bbqjoe is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome