trying to understand grounding of CB Bracket for "21 JL Unlimited Sport S - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-09-2021, 09:11 AM Thread Starter
eebdel

trying to understand grounding of CB Bracket for "21 JL Unlimited Sport S

While I work on getting my HAM Amateur license, i'm adding a CB (Midlands 75-822) because it, too makes it portable.
I understand my '21 Wrangler Unlimited Sport S, is an aluminum body. So a magnet mount won't work. I'm trying to find a bracket to fit for the rear gate. I have found a couple. One fit fine until i put the spare on (245/75R17) and it pressed against the sidewall, so too wide. I thought about adding a couple of washers as spacers to get some distance between the bracket and the sidewall, but wasn't sure that would be good for the spare tire bracket itself. I'm new to Jeep, so a lot of learning part-time,

The bracket is a good product and well made, great idea, just too tight.
Should the bracket be made of stainless steel for grounding? Does powder coating affect the ground, so i should sand / grind some of the powder coating away? Some brackets seems to be made of aluminum, so grounding would be a challenge?

So much info on Internet and Youtube with opinions. I'm just looking for facts and way to get it done. I'd like not to remove the bolts from the top hinge (some brackets are mounted there) because the replacement screw is either black or silver. Jeep is Firecracker Red. Yeah...it's also about the aesthetics. Once I figure out the bracket piece, i can run the cable through the gate along the sides under carpet and get it to the front.

Thanks,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-09-2021, 11:02 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

For CB, electrical ground and antenna ground plane are not the same thing, but the install basics are the same, paint, powder coat, and rust need to removed for a clean bare metal contact point.

1) Your CB antenna mounting bracket ( alum or steel ) needs to have bare metal contact to bare metal of the Jeep body it is mounted onto. Not a huge amount of bare metal, and using star tooth lock washers often is good enough.

2) If you are using a fiberglass FireStik type antenna and a standard SO-239 3/8"x24 threaded antenna stud, the stud will need bare metal on the antenna bracket. Antenna studs that do not use antenna coax cable terminated with an SO-239 cable end will need to have the bare coax cable outer braid attached to bare metal on the antenna bracket.

http://www.firestik.com/Tech_Docs.htm is easily understood and applies to any CB antenna brand.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-10-2021, 04:52 PM Thread Starter
eebdel

thank you.

post #4 of 7 Old 05-12-2021, 08:43 AM
randyrans

teraflex and cooltech make good antenna mounts that clear the spare. the teraflex one is easier to install, and nicer imo. the cooltech one comes with a cb cable.
post #5 of 7 Old 05-12-2021, 06:53 PM Thread Starter
eebdel

Thank you. Not knowing how jeeps are built or painted (my first Jeep), I wasn't sure how those hinge were painted separately or with the body. If painted with the body, I'd be concerned about the paint chipping as I turn the Red painted bolt. If the bolt is painted separately, I'm still concerned about breaking the Red paint on the door hinge bolt. I'm not sure if there are screw driver heads out there that have nylon, teflon, or some other type of material on the tip of the screw driver or bit that would prevent paint chipping. I will try using the one I picked up on Amazon and slip is "under" the tire rack holder which will give me the clearance for the spare tire at 245 and hopefully at 285 if it swap them out.
post #6 of 7 Old 05-13-2021, 08:43 AM
randyrans

the teraflex kit gives you new bolts. the body colored bolts can be put in a baggie and saved for when you sell the jeep

these are torqued to 40 ft-lbs so it's a good thing they give you new hardware, as it will surely chip the originals if whatever mount you get reuses the bolts

i would not get a mount that reuses the original bolts.

the teraflex kit is my favorite because if you follow their method, the tailgate/hinges never move, so they can't get misaligned
post #7 of 7 Old 05-31-2021, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
eebdel

I bought and installed a CoolTech CB Bracket (Stainless Steel) and coaxial cable. It seems to be grounded. I bought an SWR Meter. The CB is a Midland 75-822. What I liked about it is the ability to be able to remove it from the vehicle and attach a battery pack. The antenna is a Firestick 3ft and is attached to the upper rear hinge as directed in the instructions. The SWR meter shows about 1.8-2.0 for both channel 1 and channel 40 after using the self-adjusting screw at the top of the antenna. I still cannot seem to get any type of radio check on any station. I'm going to try and find someone who lives in my area (Gilbert, AZ) that has a CB and see if I can communicate. Any other ideas?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in