Trail coms - JeepForum.com
View Poll Results: What coomunication device do you use?
CB 11 64.71%
FRS 1 5.88%
GMRS 4 23.53%
Ham 12 70.59%
Other 0 0%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

2Likes
  • 1 Post By Nucking1Futs
  • 1 Post By cranbiz

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 04-10-2021, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
FeralSquirrel

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Trail coms

What are you folks using for trail communication? I’m wondering if I should consider something besides my old CB.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-11-2021, 07:18 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I use what my local 4x4 club uses, or what the 4x4 event sponsor recommends. Typically CB, but FRS/GMRS usually works if you have a bit of extra power output from a Baofeng or similar.

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-12-2021, 01:04 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

In my Jeep, I have the ability for CB, GMRS and Ham.

What I use depends on the group I'm with. Last weekend half the group had CB, the other half had GMRS. I ended up being the cross band repeater as I could do both. I used 2M simplex on the ride to the trails as my partner is also a ham.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA

post #4 of 9 Old 04-12-2021, 03:53 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

CB is by far the most popular and common choice for offroading, followed by a 2 meter or 440 MHz ham radio. If you don't have a CB you'll miss most of the trail talk.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-26-2021, 05:19 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

I would recommend at least two of the following based on the limiting space available in a Jeep and ruggedness of product: Uniden PRO510/520, Midland MTX110/115/400 GMRS, and a 2m/70cm HAM (amateur license) HT radio. All are small, rugged, viable solutions, and someone on the trail will have at least one in these in their rig. For a CB (11 meter), I recommend a Firestick and the 102" whip in the proper location and grounding (depending on where and who you are with). With a properly tuned antenna a CB can reach out there. The Firestick antenna are good close in and nice and short for trail runs. But a whip's performance is so good over all. For the whip get a tie down strap for it and a heavy duty spring. They work so great. That is my goto when I am in the sticks. **Note on whip**
Some clubs, trails, runs, prohibit the 102"whip. Do some research. While it does pose a issues on the trail for its unwieldy size, that size is why it preforms so well on the radio side. Having both is ideal. I run both.

Radios: CB is install and go, and is why it is so popular and relevant. GMRS and HAM you need a license. GMRS you just pay for, HAM you test for. GMRS covers you and your entire family for FSR/GMRS frequencies. A Technician amateur license covers 2-meter/70-cm and the FSR/GMRS frequencies for the one person that tested for it. And yes, the FCC does monitors traffic.

For me, I run an old Uniden PC76XLW with Firestick and a 102" whip, and a Yaesu VX-5R (I have my amateur license). I will be adding a Midland GMRS variant at some point (probably the MXT400).

Alternative CB radio is the Cobra 75 and the Midland 75 if space saving is of maximum importance.

Good luck.
4Low2G0 likes this.

O\IIII/O
[]-o—-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 trac-loc, 3.31 gears
post #6 of 9 Old 04-27-2021, 08:59 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nucking1Futs View Post
I would recommend at least two of the following based on the limiting space available in a Jeep and ruggedness of product: Uniden PRO510/520, Midland MTX110/115/400 GMRS, and a 2m/70cm HAM (amateur license) HT radio. All are small, rugged, viable solutions, and someone on the trail will have at least one in these in their rig. For a CB (11 meter), I recommend a Firestick and the 102" whip in the proper location and grounding (depending on where and who you are with). With a properly tuned antenna a CB can reach out there. The Firestick antenna are good close in and nice and short for trail runs. But a whip's performance is so good over all. For the whip get a tie down strap for it and a heavy duty spring. They work so great. That is my goto when I am in the sticks. **Note on whip**
Some clubs, trails, runs, prohibit the 102"whip. Do some research. While it does pose a issues on the trail for its unwieldy size, that size is why it preforms so well on the radio side. Having both is ideal. I run both.

Radios: CB is install and go, and is why it is so popular and relevant. GMRS and HAM you need a license. GMRS you just pay for, HAM you test for. GMRS covers you and your entire family for FSR/GMRS frequencies. A Technician amateur license covers 2-meter/70-cm and the FSR/GMRS frequencies for the one person that tested for it. And yes, the FCC does monitors traffic.

For me, I run an old Uniden PC76XLW with Firestick and a 102" whip, and a Yaesu VX-5R (I have my amateur license). I will be adding a Midland GMRS variant at some point (probably the MXT400).

Alternative CB radio is the Cobra 75 and the Midland 75 if space saving is of maximum importance.

Good luck.
Almost right. A tech license does NOT cover GMRS. GMRS is not in the Ham band and not a frequency that any amateur license allows privileges on. Many hams will purchase a GMRS license though.
Jerry Bransford likes this.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #7 of 9 Old 05-11-2021, 08:00 PM
4Low2G0

1993 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have CB and GMRS, what I use depends on what the group is using.

Whats over that next ridge?
post #8 of 9 Old 06-13-2021, 06:54 PM
JerryD
2016 JK Wrangler 

I have 2M/70cm, CB & GMRS installed. As others have said, use what your trail buddies are using. CB may still be the most prevalent, but GMRS is definitely making huge inroads. The groups I run with are actively shifting away from CB to GMRS. I *wish* more in my area embraced am. radio, but GMRS is the new shiny object that has everyone's attention.
post #9 of 9 Old 06-13-2021, 07:05 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I run CB, in part because groups here tend to have them. Though more people seem to be getting on FRS.

East coast has less need for ham because we're really not that far out of communication. In fact, since in this area at least, most offroading trails are in the mountains, and most cell towers are on mountains. In a lot of cases, cell reception is better on the trail than in town.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in