TJ Subwoofer upgrade - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-16-2018, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
yellow_dolphin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

TJ Subwoofer upgrade

We all know that the subwoofers on the TJ and LJ Jeeps will eventually fail. Many people have upgraded their sub and therefore, there are many write-ups in the different forums. I have a taken an approach that combines different ideas that others have come up while doing their upgrades. My approach to the upgrade is as follows:

- Use subwoofer Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 as it meets the electrical requirements of the factory amplifier and system;
- Re-use the factory subwoofer enclosure;
- Do the least amount of modifications to the subwoofer enclosure;
- Do not modify the electrical harness or circuit;

In order to satisfy this approach, I decided to design a spacer that will allow mounting the Kicker CompRT 43CWRT672 sub in the subwoofer enclosure. The spacer idea comes from another thread. However, if I recall correctly the spacer was flat and the ribs in the enclosure were cut. While investigating this design idea, I realized that the problem was not so much the ribs hitting the magnet but more the subwoofer structure hitting the top pocket of the enclosure in the inside, which in turn caused the sub to turn and hit the ribs.

My spacer incorporates a wedge design that allows the subwoofer structure to clear the top pocket in the inside of the enclosure and the magnet to clear the ribs. This spacer also keeps the subwoofer below flush to the outside of the enclosure, which is important so that it does not rub on the center console grill.

I modeled the spacer in 3D CAD and had Rapid Prototyping Services, LLC in Florida 3D print it out of ABS.

The four original screws hold the spacer to the enclosure. I then used self tapping screws to hold the subwoofer (through the spacer) to the enclosure. This setup does put 8 holes on the enclosure rim around the sub opening.

I must say that it works great and the new subwoofer works good.

This is not the first 3D printed part on my Jeep. I have E-Brake spacers, top center console tray bracket, and PRND12 bezel tabs (glued as replacements). All these have been made from ABS and 3D printed by Rapid Prototyping Services, LLC in Florida (https://rapidps.com/)

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1934.jpg   IMG_1935.jpg   IMG_1938.jpg   IMG_1941.jpg  

----------------------------
2006 TJ Unlimited Rubicon
2005 TJ HEMI Unlimited Rubicon
2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
1982 CJ8 Scrambler (Sold)

Last edited by yellow_dolphin; 11-18-2018 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Add last paragraph. Corrected words.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-16-2018, 10:36 PM
astjp2
1994 YJ Wrangler 

So I take it you are offering these for sale?
post #3 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
yellow_dolphin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by astjp2 View Post
So I take it you are offering these for sale?

I could sell them if there was interest. Send me a PM if you are interested. I still have to figure out the price and shipping cost.

2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)

post #4 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 09:36 AM
1longcj
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Any reason why this wouldn't work with a Tuffy console that still uses the factory sub enclosure?

Life is short, Play hard.
post #5 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 10:53 AM Thread Starter
yellow_dolphin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1longcj View Post
Any reason why this wouldn't work with a Tuffy console that still uses the factory sub enclosure?
I no longer have a Tuffy, but I don't see why it would not. You can always put small spacers (washers) between the enclosure and the console.
post #6 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 11:36 AM
TheBoogieman
Distubed Jeepaholic

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Nice job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinmichguy_ View Post
TheBoogieman is a jerk.
03' Rubicon/Zone 4.25" combo lift/Rancho 9000XL shocks/5.13 gears-35" MTZs/BM brakes
99' XJ / 5" BDS lift/ 33" DC extreme country MTs. Jeep #18
post #7 of 12 Old 11-17-2018, 02:24 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Moved to the audio forum.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #8 of 12 Old 11-18-2018, 01:05 AM
Icarus

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You don't want the sub flush to the face of the enclosure or during sub excursion it will hit the grill/cover console and rattle/buzz/damage your sub...

Ϣr
post #9 of 12 Old 11-18-2018, 12:35 PM Thread Starter
yellow_dolphin
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icarus View Post
You don't want the sub flush to the face of the enclosure or during sub excursion it will hit the grill/cover console and rattle/buzz/damage your sub...
Good catch! I meant to say below flush. I corrected it in the original post. In my install it is below flush and I did add a washer per screw location between the enclosure and the console just for extra clearance.

2002 TJ Sport (Rebuilt)
post #10 of 12 Old 11-25-2018, 09:21 PM
Pacoson71

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice to know there is a work around if necessary for a replacement.

Click "HERE" to do nothing.
post #11 of 12 Old 09-13-2019, 03:54 PM
baublitz

Can we bum the 3D file off of you for use in home 3D printers...? Would be greatly appreciated!
post #12 of 12 Old 09-17-2019, 01:25 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Very nice!! After many years of owning and creating highly modified vehicles, I've gotten older and my appreciation for OE specs and equipment has increased. By any chance, are you able to give details on the sound that this setup produces (i.e., frequency in hertz and decibel level)?

My original intentions with mine have gone from, purchasing one of the old (discontinued) Clarion prefab console enclosures or building my own, then to the idea of utilizing the rear floorboard for a small (6.5" or less) subwoofer. Then on to what I have now, a 6.5" in a transmission line. Lots of sound from it and a pretty small enclosure (not having a rear seat), but I want to go smaller. I've never been able to hear one of these kicker subs in the factory enclosure, so I'm not too sure if it's what I'm looking for. Any details you can provide on this would be great! Thanks

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/

Tags
center console , speaker , sub woofer , subwoofer

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in