JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/)
-   -   TJ Radio/Sub Relay (https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/tj-radio-sub-relay-4313565/)

IL_Bow_Man 06-21-2018 09:39 AM

TJ Radio/Sub Relay

1 Attachment(s)
So my radio and stock sub are constantly coming on and off. Sometimes the sub don't power on but the radio does. Like I can be driving down the road and the radio will just shut off and turn back on. Sometimes it stays off for a day other times it works for the day. Totally random.

At first I just thought it was my radio from getting hammered by a storm. But the other day while sitting at a stop light I could hear a relay clicking on and off behind the front left speaker in the dash.

My question is 2 fold I guess. Is the picture the relay? Every time I have a chance to take the panel off and look the radio is just dead. So it is hard to find the clicking relay.

2. Does anyone know the replacement part number or aftermarket way to fix?

Thanks guys

IL_Bow_Man 06-21-2018 09:40 AM

So the picture is rotated, but the picture is through the speaker opening.

mukluk 06-27-2018 07:25 PM

Doesn't look like a factory installed part, you may have to trace the wires to see what it goes to.

cranbiz 06-28-2018 07:27 AM

The part in the picture isn't a relay. It's either an impedance matching transformer or an RF choke of some sort.

Definitely not a factory part.

IL_Bow_Man 06-29-2018 08:41 AM

The black portion on the left of the picture is a relay. Top pulls off and it is like a standard horn relay. Most definitely a stock part of this jeep.

cranbiz 06-29-2018 09:50 AM

Then it's probably a standard Bosch style relay.

mukluk 06-29-2018 01:10 PM

The only stock relay in the left footwell is for the lighter/accessory socket, and it's normally located about five inches forward of the location you show, on the other side of the multiple connector stack.

IL_Bow_Man 06-30-2018 08:47 AM

This is not in the footwell. It is behind the front drivers speaker. You have have to remove the speaker to get to it. I have since heard it is referred to as the choke to reduce noise in the power for the sub.

Jerry Bransford 06-30-2018 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IL_Bow_Man (Post 40264281)
This is not in the footwell. It is behind the front drivers speaker. You have have to remove the speaker to get to it. I have since heard it is referred to as the choke to reduce noise in the power for the sub.

Yes, that's a choke whose job is to remove higher frequency noise.

TJW2002 06-10-2021 09:32 AM

IL_Bow_Man: Did you ever get a fix for this? I am having the same issue with a 2002 TJ.

The time now is 10:47 PM.