Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Third Brake Light Troubles

443 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
Hi Everyone,

First, I apologize if I am in the wrong place, just signed up to this forum and looking for some urgent help.

I just bought my first 2003 Wrangler X TJ 3 weeks ago. The guy I bought it from did some wheel and tire upgrades as well a a lift kit and somewhere along the way they decided to not only remove the third brake light and column but also tear out the brake light's wiring harness, the receiver that snaps into the hinge on the inside of the trailer and throw out the little metal pins that go into the wall of the inner cab to close the circuit. I've looked up replacement parts online and to get everything back to factory spec, it's going to be a almost $200 just for a light.

SO, I bought a rampage universal third brake light off Amazon. It comes with a flat 4-pin trailer connector (which is odd to me). I then went and bought a 4-pin trailer harness that fits TJs from Quadratec. That didn't work at all, made all of my running lights flash when I hit the brakes. So I then ordered another harness from Curt. Had better luck with that one but now when I use my right turn signal, the third brake light flashes.

Here is where I currently am. The third brake light works under braking, however due to it flashing with the right turn signal, I cannot pass state inspection. I am terrified of electrical work because I have very little knowledge or experience but I am willing to try it if I can save a pricey trip to a mechanic.

I have heard of people fixing this issue 1 of 2 ways:
1. Splice the brake wires and ground from the jeep and run it directly to the brake light. This seems simple, however after doing some research it appears that the brake signal is also the turn signal within the stoke wiring, so my issue may stay the same. Is that correct?
2. Buy a 4-pole converter that converts the turn signal into a separate signal and lets the brake function alone.

Both of those options require splicing wires which is where my knowledge really ends...

Does anyone know of any other options or maybe I am missing something? I am really confused why these two trailer harnesses are not converting the signals correctly but maybe I am wrong to think that?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#2 ·
You're over-complicating things.
The original wires that ran the original light are still there somewhere. It didn't plug into the trailer plug. The original 2 wires were probably just cut off and stuffed into the tailgate. You just need to find them.
The instructions that came with your light tells you how to hook up to those wires:
If installing on a Jeep with a factory 3rd brake light that has been
removed: Simply cut the existing wire to expose the positive and
ground connections then connect the blue and brown wires to the
positive, and the black wire to the ground.

#3 ·
Doesn't a TJ have the pins in the tailgate near the hinge for the 3rd brake light? I would first look for those. If they are there, it's 2 wires. A hot and a ground.

#4 ·
Hi guys,

First I know there are wires in there somewhere. I've been under the rear panel and haven't been able to figure out how to get to those wires. Do I go behind the brake light covers? The instructions that came with my brake light just say to connect directly to those wires but doesn't really tell me how to do it...

Second, I don't have any of the stock hardware in the tailgate, that's why I am here :D

#5 ·
How about the tailgate frame on the tub itself? I think on the tub side, it's just 2 round metal contacts.

While the PO may have deleted the wiring from the tailgate, even I wouldn't pull the contacts on the tub.

If he did, then there should be a pair of wires cut off on the passenger's side that shouldn't be all that hard to find. They most likely are behind the passenger's taillight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.