Thin marine subwoofer - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 23 Old 11-07-2019, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheelin98TJ View Post
Seems like a lot of the marine subwoofers are free air. I have a JL Audio sub on one boat and a Fusion sub on the other. Both are free air.

JL Audio makes this marine 8" sub in a box, but it's pricey and I'm not sure how deep the box is:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-S-GmTi-4.html
Holy flipping poop that is expensive. JL is great stuff.. it isn't much smaller than what I have now.

On Saturday I found the JL sub and cabinet in the link below at a garage sale for $35. Too big for my Jeep but it will go in my kids XJ. I did hook it up in my Jeep to make sure it worked and it sounds wonderful, esp compared to my Walmart junk.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-j267NU...V2NzDTXx9xwFLk

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 23 Old 11-08-2019, 08:25 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
Holy flipping poop that is expensive. JL is great stuff.. it isn't much smaller than what I have now.

On Saturday I found the JL sub and cabinet in the link below at a garage sale for $35. Too big for my Jeep but it will go in my kids XJ. I did hook it up in my Jeep to make sure it worked and it sounds wonderful, esp compared to my Walmart junk.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-j267NU...V2NzDTXx9xwFLk
Score!
Ross likes this.
post #18 of 23 Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Score!
What if I just cut down my current box and get a shallow speaker? How do I know how small I can go?

post #19 of 23 Old 11-08-2019, 08:42 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

If you really want to rock and save some space, add boat tower speakers to your roll bar.

x30-hydrotunes-boat.jpg

tower-speakers-jeep.jpg
Ross likes this.
post #20 of 23 Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 AM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross View Post
What if I just cut down he box I have now and get a shallow speaker? How do I know how small I can go?
If there is no hole through the magnet, you can snug the magnet up against the back of the box.

If there is a vent hole through the magnet, it needs some room. Usually around 1" or so. Some speaker manufactures provide this spec, it's called "pole vent clearance".
Ross likes this.
post #21 of 23 Old 11-08-2019, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
If there is no hole through the magnet, you can snug the magnet up against the back of the box.

If there is a vent hole through the magnet, it needs some room. Usually around 1" or so. Some speaker manufactures provide this spec, it's called "pole vent clearance".
There was a hole in this sub so I left a couple inches. I can fit my tow strap in the area I cut off. Doesn't sound like much but every little bit helps, especially in a TJ.

By doing that I can keep my strap lower and my top should fold down better. I should still be able to pull out my strap even with the top down now.

post #22 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 10:37 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
I would like something that could take some rain and take up less space.
Quote:
What if I just cut down my current box and get a shallow speaker? How do I know how small I can go?

Sounds like you need a custom box made unless you can find one. Either way it needs to be water proof(box). Subs come in a few types, sealed box, vented box and band pass. A band pass box may be good for a box that sees water because it's inside the box not exposed. The down side to band pass is it narrows down the range the sub puts out hence the "band pass". It allows a certain band(frequency range) through. Sub box building you need to know the specs of the speaker you will be using to formulate a box/style size. Then after it's made water proof it with some sort of coating.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-Q0iY5V..._building.html

On a side note look around and see if you can find a Polk Audio C4 box anywhere. I installed one of these in a convertible(under the top compartment) and the sound is impressive for it's size. Of course you will have to make it waterproof but may be what you are looking for.

post #23 of 23 Old 11-10-2019, 12:30 PM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Done. If or when the speaker in there fails again rain shallow mount.
Attached Thumbnails
1573406831646730205045.jpg  

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in