Thin marine subwoofer - JeepForum.com
 4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 11-05-2019, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Thin marine subwoofer

Anybody have any recommendations on a decent thin 8-10" marine subwoofer in a box, plug and play with NO amp?

01TJ33sWarn,ARBs F&R,bellyup,4.0,4.56s,5spd
99 XJ33sWinch,Electric locker up front,4.56s,4.0Auto
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 11-05-2019, 03:47 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

No need to confine it to a "marine" speaker, any with a mylar or polypropylene are fine when they get wet. Marine speakers are just speakers with mylar/polypropylene cones, it's paper cones that give problems/get ruined when they get wet.
Ross likes this.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-05-2019, 07:37 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
No need to confine it to a "marine" speaker, any with a mylar or polypropylene are fine when they get wet. Marine speakers are just speakers with mylar/polypropylene cones, it's paper cones that give problems/get ruined when they get wet.
Jerry, I think some of the newer speakers have attached electronics that perform sporadically if wet (for instance, my POLK units which are 'sealed' marine use units), and an IP water rating or 'marine' designation is good for open air/exposed mounting. BTW, not all 'marine' units are actually water-proof...Being able to operate when 'damp' is often marketed as 'marine'. I have a SONY Mex like that.

post #4 of 23 Old 11-05-2019, 08:14 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gutthans View Post
Jerry, I think some of the newer speakers have attached electronics that perform sporadically if wet (for instance, my POLK units which are 'sealed' marine use units), and an IP water rating or 'marine' designation is good for open air/exposed mounting. BTW, not all 'marine' units are actually water-proof...Being able to operate when 'damp' is often marketed as 'marine'. I have a SONY Mex like that.
He said "NO amp" which, at least to me, means just the speaker. I installed my first car stereo & speakers in 1964 and was in the electronics industry ever since. Including being with a vendor where we did very large venue audio installations... auditoriums, stadiums, etc. so I'm pretty familiar with the subject of amps, speakers, and IP ratings. Not to mention fresh water seldom affects low voltage electronic devices like automotive audio equipment that runs on 12 volts.

post #5 of 23 Old 11-05-2019, 09:59 PM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

I already have an amp and a subwoofer. The sub I have is in a bigger box and if I could pick up something smaller I'd be okay with that. All I would be doing is unplugging one sub and box and plugging in the other.

It's it's in the back of the Jeep and much of the year I do not have the back window down or side windows in. It will get rained on more than once or twice. Every year or so I find myself replacing the sub in the box I have now. I would like something that could take some rain and take up less space.

post #6 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 06:45 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Question

Quote:
He said "NO amp" which, at least to me, means just the speaker. Not to mention fresh water seldom affects low voltage electronic devices like automotive audio equipment that runs on 12 volts.

Jerry, you said two things I'm curious about: "NO amp..." but that didn't have anything to do with what I mentioned. I was talking about speakers (only) with attached rectifiers/diodes/whatever as distinct from unadorned units.

And "seldom"? To me affecting performance is either 100% 'safe' or an issue. Thought that was the point of 'marine'.

So are you saying that other than paper, marine designations/seal coatings/etc. are just marketing BS? and don't need to be considered?
post #7 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 07:02 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

My issues are the surround ends up basically rotting out or they just stop working.

I just bought the cheapest I could order from Walmart to hold me over but I would like something better.

post #8 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 08:25 AM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Ross, do you have specific measurements or other criteria? (O.D./depth/shape? etc)... You want it self-contained, or can it be just to replace the one in the mount you already have???

Seems to me that you'll need one that has UV stabilized rubber/poly surround material from your description. I would go to Crutchfield or other retailer websites to source things like wake board or ski boat accessories. Polk/Kicker/Boss/JVC make outdoor/on-water use speakers. I had a similar failure of the surround and baskets in sunlight exposed locations before that upgrade.

Last edited by gutthans; 11-06-2019 at 08:46 AM.
post #9 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Ross, do you have specific measurements or other criteria? (O.D./depth/shape? etc)... You want it self-contained, or can it be just to replace the one in the mount you already have???

Seems to me that you'll need one that has UV stabilized rubber/poly surround material from your description. I would go to Crutchfield or other retailer websites to source things like wake board or ski boat accessories. Polk/Kicker/Boss/JVC make outdoor/on-water use speakers. I had a similar failure of the surround and baskets in sunlight exposed locations before that upgrade.
My Sub currently sits behind the rear seat. I am sorry but I don't have actual measurements. But it is about as wide and my scepter military fuel can, as deep as the area behind the seats. As far as height? It is rounded and low enough to JUST clear the locking assembly on the tail gate. I am looking for something smaller. It does not have to stay in that area but I want to be able to keep the rear seats in.

I have found plenty of speakers and speaker cabinet combos but no smaller marine ones. Most of the ones I find are a speaker amp compo.

My currently enclosure is for an 8". If I don't find something smaller I will just get an 8" marine and drop it in my current enclosure. I would just like more space.

I suppose I could get an under the rear seat one but my tool box fights PERFECTLY there now on one side and my amp on the other.

post #10 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 01:41 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
You could start here: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Al...FShallow_Mount
or here:https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear..._speakers.html

There are other drop-downs to explore. Your in the best position to eyeball the thunmbnails, and check criteria that will be most important for your use. You might even consider talking to their tech line for guidance.
post #11 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
You could start here: https://www.crutchfield.com/g_520/Al...FShallow_Mount
or here:https://www.crutchfield.com/shopsear..._speakers.html

There are other drop-downs to explore. Your in the best position to eyeball the thunmbnails, and check criteria that will be most important for your use. You might even consider talking to their tech line for guidance.
Thanks,

I found a box (link below), but of course it is out of stock. I gave them my email so they can let me know when available. This is a "down firing box with a flat top which is ideal for me. I can back on it without concern of damaging the speaker. My question? When sizing speaker and box what do I have to consider. I have a Sony XPLOD 4 channel amp. I bridge two channels for the sub and run the sound bar speakers of the amp and the stock dash ones off the head unit.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_130DSW...UD-SW200D.html

Once I had that box model name and number I found it on Amazon. Not sure why I couldn't get it (or something like it) to show up before. I would prefer an all on one and done unit but the marine ones all seem to be amplified.

post #12 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 03:32 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Jerry, you said two things I'm curious about: "NO amp..." but that didn't have anything to do with what I mentioned. I was talking about speakers (only) with attached rectifiers/diodes/whatever as distinct from unadorned units.

And "seldom"? To me affecting performance is either 100% 'safe' or an issue. Thought that was the point of 'marine'.

So are you saying that other than paper, marine designations/seal coatings/etc. are just marketing BS? and don't need to be considered?
It's now clear you're not technically versed on audio/speakers, speakers don't have diodes or rectifiers. Where speakers are concerned it just means moisture won't harm them of they have a mylar or polypropylene cone.

I'm done wasting any more time on this, only worry about a marine rating when talking about salt water exposure where low voltage (12VDC) electronics are concerned. It appears you've jumped in here without the technical knowledge from which to base your comments.

post #13 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 05:01 PM Thread Starter
Ross
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Let's it's not water what about dust and dirt.

The only sub that I had lasted was a larger one that was in the enclosure that had a plexiglass cover on the front of it. The speaker was not exposed. It sounded great I was just too big and took up too much room so I got rid of it.

Since then I've just had this to cylinder tube and just drop a 8 inch speaker into it. This doesn't seem to be working out for me.

post #14 of 23 Old 11-06-2019, 08:10 PM
gutthans

1995 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
It's now clear you're not technically versed on audio/speakers, speakers don't have diodes or rectifiers. Where speakers are concerned it just means moisture won't harm them of they have a mylar or polypropylene cone.

I'm done wasting any more time on this, only worry about a marine rating when talking about salt water exposure where low voltage (12VDC) electronics are concerned. It appears you've jumped in here without the technical knowledge from which to base your comments.
Don't get so twisted-up Jerry. Private message sent.
post #15 of 23 Old 11-07-2019, 12:07 PM
Wheelin98TJ
JEEP FREAK

1998 TJ Wrangler 

Seems like a lot of the marine subwoofers are free air. I have a JL Audio sub on one boat and a Fusion sub on the other. Both are free air.

JL Audio makes this marine 8" sub in a box, but it's pricey and I'm not sure how deep the box is:

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item...-S-GmTi-4.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in