still another need help. USB port this time - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 05-20-2019, 11:27 PM Thread Starter
panzerjunky
2006 TJ Wrangler 

still another need help. USB port this time

Hello again
And I wanna start with a thanks for all the help yall have given me on this build . I keep askin and yall keep answerin so anyway .
This is a dumb one but I am ready to wire in my usb charging port and its only 2 pole so..... I don't want to wire it to non switched power as I don't want it lit up all the time. And I don't want to just wire to switched power if I need to charge something with the jeep off. So my other option is a SPDT switch ahead of the usb port to power it when needed . That way I can charge something while the jeep is turned off its such a small draw I doubt it will kill the batt if I forget to turn it off. What's your opinions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 04:56 AM
JEK3
Web Wheeler

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Sounds exactly like what I've been meaning to do for a while. For the cigarette lighter and power outlets, red/orange is the unswitched wire, red/light green is switched.
post #3 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 04:59 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
I installed a dual port with voltage display. Replaced the useless cig lighter.
Very pleased.

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD

post #4 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 09:51 AM Thread Starter
panzerjunky
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeep View Post
I installed a dual port with voltage display. Replaced the useless cig lighter.
Very pleased.
sounds like a good Idea 1 question . is it only on when the vehicle is on as I think the lighter is a switched lead?
post #5 of 7 Old 05-21-2019, 05:40 PM
Rubi4MyMrs
Web Wheeler

2005 LJ Wrangler 

On your ’06 the cigar lighter/power outlet socket should get 12v power with key on & also in the acc position. That means you could have power there when the engine is off by using the acc position but would still have power off when the key is off which also is the only position that the key comes out so when the key is out you know the power is off, no extra switch to remember to turn off.

If for some reason you occasionally need power with the key out you could just move the charger over to the other power outlet temporarily.

post #6 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 09:07 AM
Zeep

2005 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
^^^ This ^^^

JEEP THE AR-15 OF THE AUTOMOTIVE WORLD
post #7 of 7 Old 05-22-2019, 11:31 AM
prerunner1982
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I have two USB sockets wired on full time. One of which my tablet is plugged into most of the time. I even on occasion leave one of my ham radios on receiving and transmitting all day/night (it's sitting out there right now sending/receiving messages while I am at work) and don't have a problem with a dead battery in the morning or after work. You should have no issues with running your battery down.
I do agree with the LED being on all the time, luckily one of mine is under the dash out of sight and the other has a cover on it since it's not used daily but when something is plugged in I position the cover to block most of the light.

Jon
1993 XJ Sport 2 door

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in