Smittybilt X20 12klb winch issue - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 05-12-2015, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Smittybilt X20 12klb winch issue

I just picked up a Smittybilt X20 12K lb winch. Problem is that it won't engage. While I'm waiting for they're tech support to respond, figured I'd ask for help here as well.

The motor engages in forward and reverse as it should. The freespool/engage lever works as it should. I even removed it and manually moved the clutch from freespool to engage. The drum simply wont spin.

Anyone else have this issue? I'll be pulling it apart this weekend but wanted to see if there was a common issue I'm overlooking.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 05-13-2015, 09:37 AM
trouble117

Waiting for tech support?? Call them, dont email, unless you like playing the email game. They will have quite a few questions , so its best to call them when you have the winch infront of you to work on.

Does the drum turn when clutch is engaged and you power the motor?

They will need to know what generation your x20 winch is, they had 2 different versions over the years. The older ones had a brake inside the drum and the new ones have the brake outside the drum. to get to the brake. unbolt the two tie rod bolts on the motor side. The motor will stay attached to the vertical plate and it will slide away from the drum. there will be a long hexagonal shaped drive shaft sticking thru the drum. This will slide into the brake system thats bolted to the motors vertical plate on the gen 2 , on gen 1 the brake system is inside the drum and the drive shaft will run thru the brake and into a coupler between the motor and the driveshaft. This is a safety coupler incase there is a shock load. inspect this coupler .

so if you have gen 1 it maybe the coupler joint. if you have gen 2 it sounds like a gear box. gear box replacement is easy, just remove 2 tie rod bolts holdign gear box vertical plate, slide off gear box, slide new box on and replace the 2 bolts.
post #3 of 6 Old 05-13-2015, 02:11 PM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, I'll take a look this weekend. It's a Gen 2. And no, the drum won't turn at all when power is applied. If I move the clutch lever to freespool, I can manually spin it. If I engage the clutch lever, I can't spin it. But no matter what, the drum doesnt spin when power is applied.

I can't really call... I live in Japan. A simple phone call isn't the easiest thing when you're 13 hours in the future

post #4 of 6 Old 05-13-2015, 06:38 PM
trouble117

Ok so it will free spool in and out by hand. while in freespool and you power the winch in+out what does it do? what sounds come from the winch?
when you engage the clutch , the drum will not rotate by hand.
while engaged and you power in+out, it does not move. what sounds come from with winch? is the solenoid clicking? is the motor turning?

humm what i would do is pull the motor off. You will see the hex shape on the brake attached to the motor. stick an allen wrench in there and you should be able to rotate it counter clockwise and not able to turn clockwise. If you dont get any movement in either direction, then its a brake.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-14-2015, 03:37 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble117 View Post
Ok so it will free spool in and out by hand. while in freespool and you power the winch in+out what does it do? what sounds come from the winch?
when you engage the clutch , the drum will not rotate by hand.
while engaged and you power in+out, it does not move. what sounds come from with winch? is the solenoid clicking? is the motor turning?
When in freespool and I power the winch, the motor comes on (sounds normal by my experience) but the drum does not spin. I can move the drum by hand in both directions regardless of what the motor is doing while the lever is in freespool.

When I engage the lever, pretty much everything above is the same with the exception of being able to turn the drum by hand.

It sounds completely operational as it should based on my years of experience. Even powering in vs out, you can hear the change. No abnormal sounds. Basically, go out to your winch, put it in freespool and power in and out. Thats what mine sounds like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble117 View Post
humm what i would do is pull the motor off. You will see the hex shape on the brake attached to the motor. stick an allen wrench in there and you should be able to rotate it counter clockwise and not able to turn clockwise. If you dont get any movement in either direction, then its a brake.
Good tips and I'll definitely try this weekend.
post #6 of 6 Old 05-15-2015, 04:27 AM Thread Starter
Fropleyqk

2014 JK Wrangler 

So took the thing apart and very quickly figured out what was wrong. Apparently the 8 year old Chinese boy that assembled the winch in one of Smittybilt's sweatshops didn't follow the pictures right. Found this doodad just floating in the drum. It was very obvious that it belonged on the motor output. The snapring holding nothing in place was a dead giveaway. Popped it in place and put it all back together. Good to go.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in