Rockford Fosgate DSR1 DSP installation with UConnect 8.4 - my feedback - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 02-17-2018, 01:53 PM Thread Starter
gchrisf
2018 WK 

Rockford Fosgate DSR1 DSP installation with UConnect 8.4 - my feedback

I recently purchased a 2018 GC Overland with UConnect 8.4 Nav and decided to replace the factory amp, subwoofer and speakers with aftermarket components. I originally had the Alpine 9-speaker system with sub. Because UConnect has so much functionality besides audio, replacing the head unit was out of the question. After spending a month looking at what the options were, I decided to give the Rockford Fosgate DSR1 DSP a shot.

I chose the DSR1 because iDatalink has a T-harness specific to the Grand Cherokee and a Maestro unit integrated into the DSP module that is flashed for the GC. There are many other DSP units from other manufacturers, but I was hoping the out of the box compatibility with Jeep UConnect would make it less painful. And the module with the T-harness was only $300.

The Maestro harness gets connected to the original wiring coming off the head unit that connected to the factory amp, which was in the left well in the cargo area. The wiring harness was long enough, as the DSP module went in an alcove in the left cargo area. No need to buy an extension.

There was one gotcha the installers ran into. 560 Ohm resistors between the radio and the DSR1 had to be installed between the negative and positive of each channel. Using the DSP removes the speaker load that UConnect expects so if it doesn't sense a load it won't output any sound. Be aware that your installers will have to flash the DSR1 with software from iDatalink and Rockford Fosgate separately and jump through some hoops to get it set up. The DSR1 was released around August of 2017, so the firmware isn't especially mature and the updates have been somewhat frequent. Also, iDatalink will require registration of their part of the software so if your installer registers and sets up the DSP module then you will have to go back to your installer to get any required updates. My installer said that the flashing of the module was a pain, but once it was set up the rest of it was fine.

After everything was installed, the sound is phenominal on my components. The DSR1 tuning app is bluetooth compatible, has good range, and works well for setting sub level, high and low pass filters, equalization and time delay among the channels. It provides a basic 7-band equalizer, but it additionally has 31-band equalizers that can be used independently for the front, rear and subwoofer channels. However, if you use the T-harness, the software will not let you use the 7-band equalizer and you will have to use the 31-band equalizers. Easier to use when the app is installed on an iPad. My DSP was mounted in the cargo area in an alcove and the iPad picks up the settings on the device when I'm in the driver's seat. There is basic help on the app screens but RF doesn't provide a more detailed manual which I see as a real omission.

The speakers, amps, etc I'm using are less important than my experience with how the DSP works. I am using separate amps for the front/rear channels and for the sub. I did replace the factory sub with a JL Audio Stealthbox which fits seamlessly into the right rear panel of the cargo area, and it's designed for the GC. The center channel in the dash was disconnected by my choice.

TLDR;

It's 300 bucks.
DSR1 sounds great once it's set up. Tuning software has enough features to get great sound. 31 band EQs for the front and rear channels is a bit or overkill for what I need.
T-harness and Maestro software designed for the JGC.
Alarm on backup camera works fine. Significantly louder than the stock amp outputs but not unbearable.
Factory steering wheel volume control works as it should.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 03-03-2018, 04:00 PM
teknic88

Hi gchrisf, Wondering what aftermarket speakers were used in the pillar and F/R Doors ? I am looking to do the same with my 2017 TH.
I heard good thing about the DSR 1 with a Kenwood XR600-6DSP and looking into making this happen in a few weeks.

Thanks,D.P
post #3 of 10 Old 03-04-2018, 11:43 AM Thread Starter
gchrisf
2018 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by teknic88 View Post
Hi gchrisf, Wondering what aftermarket speakers were used in the pillar and F/R Doors ? I am looking to do the same with my 2017 TH.
I heard good thing about the DSR 1 with a Kenwood XR600-6DSP and looking into making this happen in a few weeks.

Thanks,D.P
I used Illusion Luccent L6 in the front/pillars and L6 CX in the rear door panels and replaced the factory sub with a JL Audio Stealthbox. I also had the speaker wire upgraded and the installer used Dynamat and FAST rings on the speakers.

Good luck on your install!

post #4 of 10 Old 03-31-2018, 07:32 PM
Rhinohawk

Did you use the ach2 harness? I have a 2018 Trailhawk and this was the recommended harness, but the factory amp has 3 harnesses and only one fits the DSR1 harness. Super annoyed with myself for not checking the car before getting the harness.

Edit:
Looks like the amp in the 2018 alpine has the same 3 connectors as the HK set up - probably due to the addition of ANC in Alpine systems. Will order the ch4 harness and try again.
First pic below of a 2017 Hk amp from Crutchfield. Second is the Alpine amp in my TH. Amps look to be different sizes but the harnesses look identical.
Attached Thumbnails
3B257CF3-E29D-434A-B4C3-0CCCB3C285B6_1522587897582.jpg   37362BA7-E51B-4E5F-99C3-1736E4A0C0CC_1522587931706.jpg  

Last edited by Rhinohawk; 04-01-2018 at 08:07 AM.
post #5 of 10 Old 04-01-2018, 11:07 AM Thread Starter
gchrisf
2018 WK 

@Rhinohawk , off the top of my head I am going to say that my installer used the ACH2 as that one was for the Alpine unit. But as I didn't do the install I can't give any useful feedback to you. I'll probably stop by the shop next weekend so I can ask them about which one they used.
post #6 of 10 Old 04-01-2018, 01:15 PM
Rhinohawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by gchrisf View Post
@Rhinohawk , off the top of my head I am going to say that my installer used the ACH2 as that one was for the Alpine unit. But as I didn't do the install I can't give any useful feedback to you. I'll probably stop by the shop next weekend so I can ask them about which one they used.
I’d appreciate it. Can you also ask/check what FW he flashed? I originally used the ch3 flash with the ch2 harness as recommended...but if I need the HK harness maybe I need to flash the ch4 FW as well.
Thanks!
post #7 of 10 Old 04-02-2018, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
gchrisf
2018 WK 

Will do. I do know they had to flash both the Maestro software to support the GC as well as the DSR1 unit. They said that was the biggest pain of the install. You may want to call iDatalink and see which harness they recommend for your setup. They have a tech support number.
post #8 of 10 Old 04-06-2018, 07:59 AM
Rhinohawk

Quick update - I was able to use the CH4 harness and the wiring layout on the Mopar harness replacement site to successfully replace the stock amp. Haven’t had much time to dial in the settings but definitely a lot of flexibility through the app.

One positive with the ch4 harness is that it already comes with a resistor pack so no splicing needed.

Thanks for the help!
post #9 of 10 Old 04-07-2018, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
gchrisf
2018 WK 

That's great you got it up and running. My speakers were pretty close to level out of the box, so I only needed to do minor tweaking to the EQ levels at the vocal levels of the midrange. However, setting the time delay made a nice difference in the sound.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-24-2019, 01:44 PM
nbeasy007

@gchrisf did you ever confirm which harness was used for yours?

@Rhinohawk did you ever see any issues with using the CH4? Crutchfield is telling me the correct one is the CH2 but called iDatalink and they are saying its the CH4. So just trying to make sure I have right parts for install.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in