Replacing head unit with an OEM radio that supports Bluetooth music playing? - JeepForum.com
 5Likes
  • 1 Post By cranbiz
  • 1 Post By Bugsymalone666
  • 1 Post By V8GCZJ

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Wizfinger
2010 MK Patriot 

Replacing head unit with an OEM radio that supports Bluetooth music playing?

Hi, I am new to the forum and new to being a Jeep owner

I own a (European) Patriot 2010 which has a REL radio labeled "6 disc / mp3 / wma / anti-theft". It has RDS, an AUX input on the bottom-right with an AUX button on the left of that. At the top it has buttons for seek and mobile phone calls using Bluetooth (Uconnect).

Unfortunately I do not know the part number. (If needed I can remove it from my dash and find the part number on the sticker.)

From about 2011/2012 on, a very similar radio is used in the Patriot (which I have seen in Germany) except apart from only Bluetooth phone calls it ALSO supports Bluetooth music streaming. The "disc" button is then labeled "disc / aux" and the "aux" button next to the AUX input jack is replaced by a "set rnd" button. Some versions of this radio also support Sirius radio. In the US, these are the Media Center 130 RES/RSC radios, (newest model here: www .jeep .com/uconnect/systems/130sres.html )

I want to be able to play Bluetooth music from my phone. So I would like to replace my current radio with the one that has this function. But all those Jeep radio models and front-plate type ids are driving me insane, not to mention the differences between Europe and USA and the differences between Dodge, Chrysler and Jeep radios. Heck, some of them seem to be made by Mitsubishi

I am aware that a USA radio probably won't recognize FM/AM radio stations. I do not mind if it is a 6 disc or single disc model, I never play CDs anyway. I also do not need Sirius, but if it's there, fine.

Does anybody here know which OEM radio is compatible with my car, that DOES support Bluetooth phone calls (Uconnect) AND bluetooth audio streaming?

(Local dealership here knows nothing and tells me it is impossible to put another radio model in, just to be safe.)

Thanks for any help you can give me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-16-2019, 10:12 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

If you want a factory radio, then you need one that is UConnect enabled and most likely, an add on UConnect module. A 730N has the UConnect built in to the HU.

You also need to know what bus speed you have. a low speed bus radio won't swap into a hi speed bus and vice versa.

Probably best to go aftermarket.
Wizfinger likes this.

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 8 Old 07-19-2019, 10:49 AM
Bugsymalone666
2011 MK Compass 

I'm new to Jeeps too and really after short ownership, if I had to upgrade the radio I wouldnt look at a factory unit, it works out quite expensive as an upgrade.

A standard aftermarket radio can be fitted, both single and double din types, however you will need an adapter cage and a wiring loom adapter. I was somewhat surprised that the 'ISO' standard radio connector that has been around in european cars since the mid 90s, which was superseded by by the ISO Quadlock connector in 2004, neither were used in Jeeps, yet the 16 pin OBD socket is used.

Most aftermarket headunits have an ISO standard output connector.

The only thing I am not sure about is the steering wheel controls (if you have them). I have recently been doing some upgrades on a 2001 golf, adding a steering wheel with buttons on too, that some of which control the radio, OEM radio of course, however I have a Kenwood radio installed, but there is a little box you can get on ebay that converts the steering wheel signals to whatever headunit you have (many use the same control method).

These days it seems relatively cheap to stick an aftermarket radio in a car compared to OEM stuff and because of things like Smartphones with updatable maps renders some of the idea of built in nav obsolete.
Wizfinger likes this.

post #4 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 09:20 AM
V8GCZJ

Quote:
Most aftermarket headunits have an ISO standard output connector.

AKA USB port! I don't know what is used over in Europe but if you can find a radio with a USB port that will solve your problems. I have all my music on a memory stick that plugs directly to the head unit via USB. Adapters are available for iphone/bluetooth. Fumbling with a cell phone (while driving) here in the states will sport you ticket if the cops see you.
Wizfinger likes this.
post #5 of 8 Old 07-20-2019, 04:26 PM
Bugsymalone666
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8GCZJ View Post
AKA USB port! I don't know what is used over in Europe but if you can find a radio with a USB port that will solve your problems. I have all my music on a memory stick that plugs directly to the head unit via USB. Adapters are available for iphone/bluetooth. Fumbling with a cell phone (while driving) here in the states will sport you ticket if the cops see you.
there is a standard its called: ISO 10487:1995

Now both European manufactured cars and any after market stereos I have seen in the UK come with this type of connector. Both Asian and American Vehicles are also sold in the UK, so it wouldnt make sense that the aftermarket radios would come with the ISO connector for any reason because of where its sold.

ISO is an international standard.

Now what I have seen is America dont seem to care for it and all the radios I have seen for Jeep/Chrysler vehicles look like a proprietary connector, which doesnt even seem the same across the years - one reason for the ISO connectors existence,
A standard connector which would be used throughout a period of time.

Most European car manufacturers have moved away from the 8+8+20 iso standard these days in favour of their own newer standard Quadlock, which essentially carries a similar layout but its a 1 piece connector.

I've been looking at adapters for my Jeep and its a bit of a mine field, especially if you want to add steering wheel controls you need more boxes and adapters, so much for the ISO standard!
Wizfinger likes this.

"Watcha Doin?"

"Oh you know, Jeep things....."
post #6 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Wizfinger
2010 MK Patriot 

Thanks for all your replies. I'd prefer not to go aftermarket (I like keeping original style and look). However it seems like the only way to go.
  • As for the USB stick option: I'd like to play Spotify or other streaming radio (unlimited mobile data here for a fixed fee), so I don't really have my own song collection.
  • As for the steering wheel controls: I (unfortunately) do not have them. Would like to have them but I'll leave that out to keep things simple.
  • As for the AUX/Bluetooth to AUX options: I'd like to see track info on the radio display, and more importantly, allow for controlling previous/next buttons etc. to happen on the radio itself. Indeed in The Netherlands it is also illegal to operate your phone while driving, but you are allowed to operate the radio.
post #7 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 03:06 AM
Bugsymalone666
2011 MK Compass 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizfinger View Post
Thanks for all your replies. I'd prefer not to go aftermarket (I like keeping original style and look). However it seems like the only way to go.
  • As for the USB stick option: I'd like to play Spotify or other streaming radio (unlimited mobile data here for a fixed fee), so I don't really have my own song collection.
  • As for the steering wheel controls: I (unfortunately) do not have them. Would like to have them but I'll leave that out to keep things simple.
  • As for the AUX/Bluetooth to AUX options: I'd like to see track info on the radio display, and more importantly, allow for controlling previous/next buttons etc. to happen on the radio itself. Indeed in The Netherlands it is also illegal to operate your phone while driving, but you are allowed to operate the radio.
I know what you mean about keeping it factory, I have a 2011 Compass (So I think we have the same interior) which from the factory came with the the 730N unit. I thought brilliant, a head unit with Navigation, Bluetooth, steering wheel controls, usb and so on. However its not as glam as I thought it would be. The Nav works ok, but obvious one issue is getting updates for it. The bluetooth, well it seems to connect and pair with the phone for phone calls, all the stuff I have seen online says it should be able to stream music, I have even seen it, but not with mine. The USB is the weirdest thing, it doesnt direct play, it copies the music files to an internal hard drive (20gb), it even has an Apple 30 pin connector in the glovebox, which presents its only problem.

Apple introduced the Lightening connector in 2012, pretty much any idevice with a lightening connector is supported by the latest version of iOS. You can get a 30pin to lightening adapter. However the 730N factory unit seems to have issues if the idevice has an OS higher than 7, Spotify requires iOS10+

So this renders the idea useless of plugging something new and apple in to the 730N, which would be an obvious choice. I run an android phone, but managed to get an iPhone5, so was going to put Spotify on the iPhone and use my android device as a mobile hotspot. Nope.

I've tried a ton of things, which ridiculously would have just worked on a product of the same age that was aftermarket! I dont know why the bluetooth is so rubbish, I have had VW products from 2012(knowing the radios were available from 2009 too) and the bluetooth works faultlessly. Theres even ways of adding/activating bluetooth on those.

So enough of me complaining, thats why I said if I was upgrading, I'd go aftermarket, for which you have 2 choices:

Single Din classic style head unit, which pretty much all come with bluetooth/USB these days and are pretty cheap, you can even get them with digital radio and all sorts. I bought a new one in 2014 still rocking it in my van and it does everything I need, made by sony and I'd be as happy putting it in my jeep and getting rid of the Jeep unit. Has USB/Bluetooth, but wouldnt really match the layout of the jeep.

Double Din Touch Screen - Not my favourite as I prefer buttons, however I recently fitted one(Kenwood) to a 2001 VW golf I have, it has some buttons down one side, Touch Screen, will play DVDs, has bluetooth (which does skip tracks in spotify, but I think thats it)FM radio, Digital Radio and although mines not got it, it could have satnav too! Icing on the cake - input for a reversing camera and output for additional screens for the kids if needed.
Wizfinger likes this.

"Watcha Doin?"

"Oh you know, Jeep things....."
post #8 of 8 Old 07-21-2019, 11:17 AM Thread Starter
Wizfinger
2010 MK Patriot 

Too bad about the 730N, which was also an option for me. I also have the Apple 30 pin connector in the glove box, I'll try to connect an old iPhone and see what happens

Tags
bluetooth , patriot , radio swap , uconnect

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in