Recomend me a Ham setup - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 12:13 AM Thread Starter
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Recomend me a Ham setup

Looking for a setup for trail usage
Mainly the Con or Fordyce

I took the test awhile back, got the licence and a FT-60 so Id have something in the event there was a need by me, my friends or others on the trail

Figured I would get a setup for the jeep but the more I look around the more I get lost in my search. There seems to be to much info for me to comprehend.

Radios seem to run $80-500, Dont want a cheep knock off, Dont want a rolex either. Whats a decent radio and antenna going to run? Is Dual band worth it? I dont want to buy twice.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-07-2020, 08:56 AM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I like having a dual band and really like having it capable of dual receive. This way I can monitor a repeater and a simplex channel at the same time.

I run a Kenwood TMV-71a on a Diamond 770 NGP antenna. This setup works much better on my Jeep than the Larsen 2/70 did and the Larsen is a great antenna.

02 WJ Laredo, heavily optioned but stock
12 JK, 3.5" Teraflex/Franken lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 15 Old 04-08-2020, 11:11 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mousejockey View Post

I took the test awhile back, got the licence and a FT-60 so Id have something in the event there was a need by me, my friends or others on the trail

Figured I would get a setup for the jeep but the more I look around the more I get lost in my search. There seems to be to much info for me to comprehend.

Radios seem to run $80-500, Dont want a cheep knock off, Dont want a rolex either. Whats a decent radio and antenna going to run? Is Dual band worth it? I dont want to buy twice.
I'm in the same boat, mostly. I currently have my GMRS, and I am studying to take my Tech, maybe General too. I have no experience yet, but I am approaching things from a common sense approach. This I can share. Do you have an Elmer? Sounds like a no. I currently do not either, but I hope to find one.
Anyways, I am sticking with the Big 3 (Kenwood, Yeasu, or Icon, maybe a 4th with Alnico). You just can't go wrong with these choices.

I agree with spending once (Buy once, cry once. Buy twice, cry twice) so the dual band is a cool option for limited real estate in my CJ7.
A. The Kenwood TM-V71A seems to be a standard almost. A robust radio.
B. For a dual bander that cost less than the TM-V71A, the Yaesu FTM-7250DR seems like a nice radio. The reviews are great (it is a Yaesu).
C. I do like the Kenwwod TM-281A a lot on paper!! Fantastic reviews too. Not a dual band, but fits most of the features I am looking for (once I get my license). I am currently leaning heavy towards the TM-281. It just screams Jeep radio. It fits all four of my criteria below.

Here are a few features I am looking for as an ideal radio:
1.Front speaker. Mine will be mounted above my head, so why have the speaker on top? Mounting external speaker is one more piece I have to mount and run cable.
2. Weather alerts. I hunt and fish and sometimes I am way in the backcountry. The way the alerts are monitored on the TM-281 is perfect. Nuff said on that.

Next two are kind of tied together.
3. Durability. It will be in a drafting Jeep going over rough terrain getting dusty. Kind of self explanatory.
4. Simplicity. Fancy displays and small units loaded with all the features just don't seem like a a robust and great combination for my Jeep needs (See 3).

Antennas I just started looking into and reading about, so I can't impart anything useful.

I hope this helps a little. Good luck.

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

4.2L w/Howell TBI, T5, D300, Dana 30 w/locker/AMC 20 trac-loc, 3.31 gears

post #4 of 15 Old 04-13-2020, 09:23 AM
Mainsail
2005 WK 

Quote:

What ham band are your friends using? A dual band gives you more options for frequencies. A dual band is also good because you can remote mount the face away from the radio body. There are no single band ham radios that allow remote mounting.

Stick with any of the major players and you'll have a good radio; Icom, Kenwood, Yaesu, and maybe Alinco. Some of the Chinese radios are pretty good, but I have no experience with them (and some are not so good).

I'm running a dual band Yaesu FT8800 in the jeep, and two (2 meter and 70cm) GE Ericsson Orions in the M1009.
Attached Thumbnails
Ham4.jpg   Ham5.jpg   Stack2.jpg   Radjo4.jpg   Latest.jpg  

Poor grammar is something up with which I shall not put.
post #5 of 15 Old 04-13-2020, 10:17 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
I have a Kenwood TVM-71A in my pickup. I have a Yaesu FTM-100DR in my WK2. Both have really good features. One thing to think about, if you are in a jam, APRS will beacon if you let it. Both are capable of doing that. The Kenwood will need an external GPS. The Yaesu FTM-100DR has GPS built in.

You can't go wrong with Yaesu FT-8800. There also is an Icom IC-2730A. A 4100A has GPS built in and has the ability to use your smartphone to upload repeaters and other things. The Icom, Kenwood or Yaesu are all solid radios. They also have single band, 2 Meter, radios. They might be okay if there are only VHF repeaters and traffic. It is nice having VHF and UHF radios. I started with single bands, we are moving more towards UHF with new repeaters.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #6 of 15 Old 04-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You don't need a fancy/expensive ham radio for casual use while offroading. 99% of the time nothing more than 2m is needed and you can find inexpensive 2m radios all over the place. Caution that some have a much harder user interface than others. I felt I never quite grasped the user interface on a Kenwood 2m radio I used to own, my next ICOM and current Yaesu have good user interfaces.

I've been using my Yaesu FT-2900R 2 meter radio for years and it has been a good radio that puts out a lot of power for its size, 75 watts. It's the one at the top, I attached my CB to the bottom of it.
Attached Images

Gone to Florida 7/19-7/28.
When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-16-2020, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Im looking at the Icom IC-2730A, although picking a radio is a bit of a challenge, proper install is more my concern.
My CB antenna is a stud mount at the tail light, I have seen a few NMO style which appear to follow the same path. But I dont want to get parts that dont work together or are junk so to say.
post #8 of 15 Old 04-16-2020, 10:06 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
Im looking at the Icom IC-2730A, although picking a radio is a bit of a challenge, proper install is more my concern.
My CB antenna is a stud mount at the tail light, I have seen a few NMO style which appear to follow the same path. But I dont want to get parts that dont work together or are junk so to say.
Diamond K400s-NMO Antenna

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #9 of 15 Old 04-22-2020, 10:12 AM
Daniel.85

post #10 of 15 Old 04-25-2020, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ICOM IC-2730A https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-27...ile-radio.html
Larson NMO mount https://www.gigaparts.com/larsen-nmokhfcxthk.html
Comet SBBNMO-5 https://www.gigaparts.com/comet-antennas-sbb-5nmo.html

Abit more than I planned on, but Ive learned its cheaper not to buy twice
Are these good/quality products?
Am I missing anything for an install? besides a mount bracket for the radio and antenna
post #11 of 15 Old 04-28-2020, 10:39 AM
rjlindblom

2018 WK 

Garage
Quote:
ICOM IC-2730A https://www.gigaparts.com/icom-ic-27...ile-radio.html
Larson NMO mount https://www.gigaparts.com/larsen-nmokhfcxthk.html
Comet SBBNMO-5 https://www.gigaparts.com/comet-antennas-sbb-5nmo.html

Abit more than I planned on, but Ive learned its cheaper not to buy twice
Are these good/quality products?
Am I missing anything for an install? besides a mount bracket for the radio and antenna
You are on the right path. Usually there is a bracket that comes with the Radio. After fighting with my FTM-100 a couple weeks ago, I am going to switch over to ICOM as things die off or I want a new radio. I think the issues were with the programming software. Nonetheless, I was able to reload the programming profile.

Back to your setup. There should be a bracket in the box. Where is the antenna going to be mounted? With a hood mount a piece of flat iron or angle iron would work with what you have. One ham in our club mounted his antenna right in the center of the hood on his 06 TJ.

Otherwise this lip mount is what I use on my WK2. https://www.gigaparts.com/comet-antennas-cp-5nmo.html. You are on the right path.

Ryan
2018 WK2, Limited. Purchased 12-27-2019
2016 Compass. Traded 12-27-2019
KE0LXT
post #12 of 15 Old 04-28-2020, 04:03 PM Thread Starter
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

The IC-2730A doesnt come with a bracket, $34 on its own

My plan is to mount it on a tail light bracket like the CB antenna on the other side
post #13 of 15 Old 04-28-2020, 04:36 PM
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
TYT-8600.

Got mine as a kit on Amazon with an antenna, mount and cable. Reasoning for it is I've been planning on a Wrangler for a while and its waterproof. Club I'm in does a lot of mud and woodland trails so waterproof is needed. Spent about $150 for the entire setup.

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
post #14 of 15 Old 04-26-2021, 05:27 PM
Nucking1Futs

1984 CJ7 

Quote:
The IC-2730A doesnt come with a bracket, $34 on its own

My plan is to mount it on a tail light bracket like the CB antenna on the other side
Did you ever decide on what you are buying?

O\IIII/O
[]-o-[]

post #15 of 15 Old 04-27-2021, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Mousejockey
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Yea, I got the "Bracket" and also the remote head mounting kit (?) Not the suction cup deal, just the plate. It has 2 magnets that the remote head sticks to. Made a small bracket to mount it above the mirror

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in