Qi Wireless Phone Charging in Your TJ - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 08-08-2015, 02:58 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Qi Wireless Phone Charging in Your TJ

I got a fancy new phone with fancy Qi wireless charging. Has anyone added a Qi charging coil to their TJ? Where did you put it?

I have one of these contraptions on the way.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

2003 Rubicon

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 08-08-2015, 03:39 PM
RnEmOvr
Have Cummins, Will tow.

1999 TJ Wrangler 

Only spot I can think it might work would be the compartment on the top of dash above the radio.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 Old 08-08-2015, 03:51 PM
Jeepsr4me

Could fab up a plate where the seatbelt switch is and put it there. Dash is too hot around here.
Or in the glove box... No need in having phone where you can see when driving.. Get a blue tooth radio that picks up calls and text.

post #4 of 14 Old 08-08-2015, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
I have a spot in mind that is part of replacing the stock radio.

This 1.5 to single DIN adapter plate has a pocket below the head unit opening. If my phone is thin enough to fit in the pocket, I would put a charging coil under there.

I'm getting this head unit, btw.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/mobile/dp/...tag=your_order

2003 Rubicon

post #5 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 12:41 PM
KG6KJS

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by RnEmOvr View Post
Only spot I can think it might work would be the compartment on the top of dash above the radio.
I had my QI charger hot glued in this spot, my problem was every time I went offroading, my phone would move off the sweet spot and stop charging.
I have a Galaxy S6, it had a 2" window of space to charge any farther it would stop charging.

Subscribed! I still like this idea. Hopefully you find a good solution.

2006 Jeep LJ "Fred"

post #6 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 12:45 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6KJS View Post
I had my QI charger hot glued in this spot, my problem was every time I went offroading, my phone would move off the sweet spot and stop charging.
I have a Galaxy S6, it had a 2" window of space to charge any farther it would stop charging.

Subscribed! I still like this idea. Hopefully you find a good solution.
Sounds like the reason I haven't tried it yet. If you could securely you it in the right spot, however...

If you use the phone for navigation, though, a wire is probably better.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #7 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 01:27 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Parts are rolling in. If everything fits together like I hope, then I'll post more details. My phone isn't my primary navigation. The pocket under the new head unit will hopefully contain the phone and keep it over the charging coil.

In the meantime, others should show us what they have done.

2003 Rubicon

post #8 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 02:20 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

One more consideration. I had considered this on my Tuffy box, but then I worried that placing the coil unit on metal might be a problem (I don't know this for a fact).

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 14 Old 08-17-2015, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jay-h View Post
One more consideration. I had considered this on my Tuffy box, but then I worried that placing the coil unit on metal might be a problem (I don't know this for a fact).
I have the DIY charging coil linked above sitting on my desk right now. My phone does not charge with a piece of sheet metal between it and the coils. As suspected, the QI charger needs to be attached to a non-conductive surface.

2003 Rubicon

post #10 of 14 Old 08-21-2015, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Finished and it works! This got a little more elaborate than I expected.

Here is how to add Qi wireless phone charging to your TJ.

This is the 1.5 to single din adaptor plate with a small pocket below the head unit.

It turns out that the pocket recedes in size towards the back. To make my phone fit all the way in, I split open the pocket and made a wood spacer to square up the opening.

With the spacer in place, the gap is filled with epoxy.

The spacer is wrapped in packing tape and rubbed with a light oil to release it from the epoxy.

Next step is to locate where the phone coils and the charging coils line up with each other. The charging coil is not strong enough to pass through both the thickness of the plastic and my case. To fix that, I used a router and a pattern jig to scrub out a section of the pocket to decrease the overall thickness. I removed a little over a 1/16" leaving that area paper thin.

The charging coil gets glued into the thinned area.

The charging coil has a pair of on/off leds. Red for standby and blue for charge. I drilled a small hole on the top of the pocket to make these visible.

The charging coil is powered by a standard micro-USB cord. At the moment, I have the cord snaked through the dash and plugged into a USB charging port I installed previously. I will be adding a second USB charging port hidden inside the dash in the near future.

Here is the modified adaptor plate installed. My phone fits comfortably snug on the left side and the blue charging light is visible as a glow on the right. Pictured is my old phone without Qi charging, so the indicator light is red for standby.

2003 Rubicon

post #11 of 14 Old 08-23-2015, 10:36 PM
KG6KJS

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjvw View Post
Finished and it works! This got a little more elaborate than I expected.
Good Job! I guess I will have try round 2.

2006 Jeep LJ "Fred"

post #12 of 14 Old 08-24-2015, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KG6KJS View Post

Good Job! I guess I will have try round 2.
Do it! So far it is working perfectly. The charging keeps up with Bluetooth streaming, one less cord, the phone isn't flopping around and a little extra storage space. It all adds up to something worthwhile.

2003 Rubicon

post #13 of 14 Old 09-02-2015, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
The last part is installed so everything is now completely hidden behind the dash. As mentioned earlier, the charging coils are powered via USB. I ordered this 2 slot USB plug and installed it behind the glove box.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B010XDBL42..._8055vbT92FFW8

I have been using this charger just about every day including on a couple trips several hours long with no problems.

2003 Rubicon

post #14 of 14 Old 12-12-2015, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
jjvw

2003 TJ Wrangler 

Garage
A quick update now that it is winter and I am using the heater. Every so often while charging, the phone gets hot causing the charging coil to shut off. This is indicated by a flashing light from the charger. I believe the problem is a result of the center dash getting hot from the heater blowing through the vents. Next time I find reason to open the dash back up I will see if adding some insulation might help.

Beyond that, I am still very happy with the modification.

2003 Rubicon

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in