Putting speakers and a new radio in my wrangler - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 07:12 PM Thread Starter
WranglerX2006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Putting speakers and a new radio in my wrangler

I just recently bought a 2006 Jeep wrangler and the stock radio is terrible to say the least.. What I plan on doing is replacing the four speakers with either polk audio or infinity reference x series speakers.. Havent made up my mind yet. I know the radio is marine grade and the polks are marine grade but I am not sure if the Infinities are marine grade or not...

My question is what size speakers should I put in the soundbar? After some searching I have found the stock size is 5.25 but you can fit most brand 6.5s in it.. But then after some more searching I heard someone say you cant fit 6.5s in a 2005 or 2006 wrangler... Is this true? and I know the two in the dash are 4x6.
So can I put 6.5s in the 2006? and what brands will or will not fit?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

Couple things:

Do you have a sound bar? Or sound Pods? The bar can fit 6.5's if you make them fit. Sound pods can only fit 5.25's. There are brackets for the dash to put 5.25's in there, and a couple have squeezed 6.5's behind the dash with a little bulging afterward.

I personally just today ordered Polk Dxi460p speakers for the dash, and Dxi525 speakers for my pods. I like Polk because they sound very nice in small enclosures as well as open areas, but also because they are certified for marine use... they're weatherproof. The dash speakers are 4x6 component plates, consisting of a 4" woofer, and 1" tweeter, rather than an oblong coaxial.

- Nick
post #3 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 07:23 PM Thread Starter
WranglerX2006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Also on the infinity speakers, the one i really want, I cant find a 4x6, will a 5x7 fit?

post #4 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 07:26 PM Thread Starter
WranglerX2006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClimbStuff View Post
Couple things:

Do you have a sound bar? Or sound Pods? The bar can fit 6.5's if you make them fit. Sound pods can only fit 5.25's. There are brackets for the dash to put 5.25's in there, and a couple have squeezed 6.5's behind the dash with a little bulging afterward.

I personally just today ordered Polk Dxi460p speakers for the dash, and Dxi525 speakers for my pods. I like Polk because they sound very nice in small enclosures as well as open areas, but also because they are certified for marine use... they're weatherproof. The dash speakers are 4x6 component plates, consisting of a 4" woofer, and 1" tweeter, rather than an oblong coaxial.
I do have the pods... I thought all 2006s did? I think you ordered the polks that I am looking at for the front. Thats unfortunate because I really wanted the 6.5s and They are the same price lol Thanks for the info though, you saved me a lot of time in returns if i had ordered them already. I love this site
post #5 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 08:14 PM
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

5x7 could probably be made to fit... but why would you want to? If you're going to go bigger, just stick with a 5.25 behind the dash. It's an easy install (as I've read), and the brackets exist to do it.

- Nick
post #6 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 08:18 PM
sjones26573

2004 TJ Wrangler 

You don't want an oval speaker. Poor quality. Go with a round 5 1/4" speaker in the dash. Polk db series seem to be popular here. I have Kicker KS525's and they are good. Nalin Mfg. on here makes the adapter plates.

The Offroad Club @ NC State; Founder
The Yellowtail Build
Jeep-Owner.com
post #7 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 08:37 PM
Kodiak17

2015 JK Wrangler 

I run 5.25" Infinity Kappa 52.9i's in the dash with Nalin mfg's brackets. Work great. The sound bar will accept some 6.5's depending on their depth. Some deep speakers won't fit.

Current build:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 17 Old 10-20-2012, 09:02 PM
Cuder

2000 TJ Wrangler 

I put 6.5 Pioneer 2-way speakers in my dash, they sound great. They are around $50 for the pair at Walmart.

https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/6.../#post14331112

My Build Thread:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 12:57 AM Thread Starter
WranglerX2006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

does anyone have a link to where I can buy the adapter kit to put 5.25's in the dash? Looks like with an 06 im going to have to stick to putting four 5.25s in it. Has anyone used the kits they have on JC whitney to add extra speakers? Anyone have recommendations on the best marine grade radio? preferably from best buy as that is where I am going to be buying the speakers?
post #10 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 01:10 AM
J03_TJ

2003 TJ Wrangler 

I replaced my front pods with Alpine 5 1/4 speakers and Sony 6.5" ones in the soudbar. The larger rears are overkill in my mind they really drown out the fronts. I have my head unit adjusted to give the fronts more power, but don't like the way the sound still sounds like it is bore behind me than from the fronts. Not sure if going with the alpine speakers was the best or if some other brand would have sounded better. I can't recall where I bought the 5 1/4 brackets, but they were pretty easy to find searching for them, might even have been on Amazon?
post #11 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 08:26 AM
Cuder

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WranglerX2006 View Post
does anyone have a link to where I can buy the adapter kit to put 5.25's in the dash? Looks like with an 06 im going to have to stick to putting four 5.25s in it. Has anyone used the kits they have on JC whitney to add extra speakers? Anyone have recommendations on the best marine grade radio? preferably from best buy as that is where I am going to be buying the speakers?
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f43/t...inmfg-1325275/

My Build Thread:

post #12 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
WranglerX2006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks! I just ordered a pair of those from that website. So I am going to go with four 5.25 speakers for it. Now my next question is to go with either the polks or the infinity reference speakers..
post #13 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 12:23 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

A key issue with speakers, when you're not also adding an external auxilliary amplifier, is to match up the speaker's power requirements with the radio. Many (most?) speakers require more power to sound good than can be provided by any radio or aftermarket head unit without that external aux amplifier. If a speaker has a big power rating, that means it also requires a lot of power to drive it so it sounds good with enough volume.

For a standard radio or aftermarket radio, you need speakers that don't need a lot of power which means the speaker needs a high Sensitivity rating. A speaker with a 90 dB (decibel) or higher rating will work fine, a speaker with a lower dB Sensitivity rating like 84 or 86 dB will not. Stick with a speaker with a 90 dB or higher sensitivity rating and you'll be happy with its volume and sound.

In other words, when you aren't also installing an external auxililiary amplifier and are driving the speakers directly from the radio itself, a speaker with a low Sensitivity rating like 85 dB and a 250 watt power rating would not sound nearly as good or as loud as a speaker with a 91 dB Sensitivity rating and a 50 watt power rating. And no standard car stereo puts out more than about 22 true watts per channel with most being 12-18 watts per channel. Pay no attention when some car radio manufacturers tout big ratings like 50 watts per channel, those are only peak or "music power" ratings which are very misleading and much higher than what they can actualy put out continuously. The term RMS watts is what you can rely on, the RMS rating is an amplifier's true power rating.

Polk's DB series speakers would be a good choice because they sound good and have that high Sensitivity rating.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #14 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
WranglerX2006
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Thanks Jerry, I did find an old post of yours explaining justabout the same thing and I had already considered that into my speaker decision. I would love to get an amp but I do not know how to set them up and I dont know where I would mount it in the jeep. Also, I didnt really want to drop an extra 200 bucks on an amp and getting it set up professionally. I would love a small sub but I also dont know where I would put that. I have seen a thread about putting it in the console but I am no where near good enough with electrical stuff do tackle that.

Both the polk and the infinity reference speakers have a sensitivity rating pretty high. The infinity is 93 i believe.
post #15 of 17 Old 10-21-2012, 06:05 PM
ClimbStuff
2003 TJ Wrangler 

I was searching for a place to put an amp yesterday, and the only place I could really see putting one, would be in the glove box compartment (with the tray removed), or in the arm rest, neither location I feel would have sufficient airflow. Plus both of those places are places a person might look for valuables should they decide to break into the vehicle. Speakers aren't something a person takes the time to remove, unless they plan for it, or it's a loose box/bazooka just chilling in the open. The head unit I chose was a JVC R330, 20w RMS output (2-5 more than most other companies), and it's only $70 so if it gets stolen (like the last one), it's not a huge loss.

- Nick

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in