Need headlight help please! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-10-2019, 05:15 PM Thread Starter
MelGlen85
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Need headlight help please!

I'm not sure I'm posting this in the right place.

We (my husband and I) are trying to fix the headlights on my Dad's jeep. (1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport)
He has worked on it all day today and it is getting very frustrating trying to figure this out.

My dad (84 now) was driving home the other day and the headlights started going out on him.
If he held back on the high beam switch they would stay on, but when he released it, the lights would go off.
Very scary to say the least.

I've been looking on internet and it seems to be a common problem with jeeps around this model year.
Any help would be greatly appreciated

My husband replaced the high/low beam switch but that didn't resolve the problem.

Thank you in advance for advice! 🙂

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-12-2019, 10:28 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Check and test the headlight fuses. Make sure the headlights are not the root cause, apply 12 volts directly to the headlights. Dashboard switch failure, and headlight wire harness issues are very common. You should install an H-4 heavy duty headlight wire harness. This wire harness has relays that relieve the electrical strain on the almost 25 year old headlight wiring and switch that are both known to be problem areas for the Cherokee. Speaking of switches, a replacement headlight switch is low cost and simple to install, and would be a good idea to buy. Inspect the wire plug and wires for signs of corrosion and melted or chafed wire insulation. Also inspect the wiring under the hood for problems, and make sure the headlight ground connections are clean and tight.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in