Need antenna cable for OEM radio - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 10:04 AM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Need antenna cable for OEM radio

My Ď06 TJ came with an aftermarket radio. I recently installed an OEM radio and found that the antenna cable plug that goes in the back of the radio is too big to fit the OEM radio.

Does anyone know where I can source this cable? Itís the piece that runs from behind the glove box to the back of the radio. Been looking, but having no luck.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 10:16 AM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Have you checked it all the way down behind the glovebox? Very rare to see the whole section replaced. More common for a ~6" long adapter to be used from the OEM plug behind the radio to adapt up to the more common antenna plug. So, it may just be an adapter and your OEM plug is still there.

If the whole section was replaced for some reason, it's part number 5064206AA

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-part...QaAvzMEALw_wcB

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
post #3 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireMedic82 View Post
Have you checked it all the way down behind the glovebox? Very rare to see the whole section replaced. More common for a ~6" long adapter to be used from the OEM plug behind the radio to adapt up to the more common antenna plug. So, it may just be an adapter and your OEM plug is still there.

If the whole section was replaced for some reason, it's part number 5064206AA

https://www.getoemparts.com/oem-part...QaAvzMEALw_wcB

There is definitely an adaptor like you describe. I tried to remove that length of cable, but I canít figure out how to disconnect it. I was thinking the original plug is plugged into the adaptor.

post #4 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 11:33 AM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Update.....feeling really stupid now. The picture of the part number you shared helped me figure out where the adaptor disconnects. So, gave it a real hard pull, and bingo! Thanks a bunch....Iím all set now.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 12:07 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Good deal. I had one of my shining moments like that on the forum not too long ago. It happens.

Throw the photoshoppers a bone and post your executed mods, we would like to see the after pics. Copy and paste the url. https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f59/executed-photoshop-mods-1417032/
post #6 of 9 Old 10-12-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Good deal. I had one of my shining moments like that on the forum not too long ago. It happens.

Well, seems like I spoke too soon. I get no reception when I connect the factory cable. But, when I attach the adaptor and hold that plug in the radio, I get great reception. I guess I need a new factory cable? Maybe it’s not making good contact when I plug it into the radio?

Final Update...figured out what happened. I screwed up big time. Since I didn't realize the aftermarket unit adaptor plug was not supposed to be plugged into the OEM radio, I bent the thin coaxial wire in the receiving end on the back of the radio. It bent when I tried to push the adaptor plug in. And to make matters worse, it broke off when I tried to straighten it. Ugh. Looks like I'll be on the phone with the vendor (1 Factory Radio) Monday morning to see what they can do. Stupid, stupid, stupid.........
post #7 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 03:21 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Oh no! Dang. I hate that for you. Yeah, Chrysler has been an odd one with their antenna plugs. I've installed stereos in many different vehicles and I've never seen any others use that type of plug.

You know now, but yeah that center contact wire is tiny. Repairing it isn't a huge undertaking, but it would require someone to go in and desolder that antenna connection from the board (worst case scenario), then resolder a new one in. The pin may be easier to replace. Not sure. I have one here that I can open up and take a look. On somewhat They look of a bright side, the antenna is very simple and easy to "quick fix" simply, if you choose to go that route. If you haven't already, I'll open up the spare radio I have here this evening and let you know more details.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 04:11 PM Thread Starter
rcroane
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Oh no! Dang. I hate that for you. Yeah, Chrysler has been an odd one with their antenna plugs. I've installed stereos in many different vehicles and I've never seen any others use that type of plug.

You know now, but yeah that center contact wire is tiny. Repairing it isn't a huge undertaking, but it would require someone to go in and desolder that antenna connection from the board (worst case scenario), then resolder a new one in. The pin may be easier to replace. Not sure. I have one here that I can open up and take a look. On somewhat They look of a bright side, the antenna is very simple and easy to "quick fix" simply, if you choose to go that route. If you haven't already, I'll open up the spare radio I have here this evening and let you know more details.

Thanks for the offer, but it's on its way back to the vendor and a replacement is on the way. They were really cool about it. Just a reasonable restocking fee.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-13-2019, 09:06 PM
FireMedic82

2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcroane View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the offer, but it's on its way back to the vendor and a replacement is on the way. They were really cool about it. Just a reasonable restocking fee.
Oh wow. Can't beat that at all. Nice of them to do that. Thus far I have only bought a couple wiring harnesses from them, so I haven't had to contact them, but your experience is good to know.

Didn't see your reply until now, so I had already opened mine up to take a look. It's no major task, but I will say that this particular design isn't the simplest. First time I've seen metal tabs soldered to one of the radio's boards, instead of using screws. Sturdy build though, I'll give it that. Anyway, glad to hear it's sorted out.

Here is the images from mine.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bn7osf1zlv...05332.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/e57e0d3yv0...04516.jpg?dl=0

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in