Mygig install 2006 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 11-15-2012, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
kp1
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Mygig install 2006 Grand Cherokee

Bought an RER mygig off Ebay from USAaccessories. Bought a lockpick, but it took 6 weeks to arrive. When I installed, after 20 seconds the cooling fan comes on and stays on. Nothing else works. Called Coastal tech support and they say it should have worked. Low speed RER in a low speed car. I think the RER is dead, but USA says they tested it and I'm out of the 14 day warranty. Do I have a $600 brick?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 11-22-2012, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
kp1
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Update-
Took the radio apart and reseated all the ribbon cables. It's now 70% functional. It turns on, the video works, the CD/DVD player works, the phone works, it plays music from the hard drive. The functions still not working are those associated with antennas, radio, nav, sirius. Ill take it apart again and see whats ailing the antenna board. I still find it hard to believe that it "passed" a test at USA accessories. They must not have much of a test and they certainly don't care much about customer satisfaction.
The Lockpick from Coastal Tech works as advertised.
post #3 of 3 Old 11-25-2012, 06:41 PM Thread Starter
kp1
2006 XJ Cherokee 

Update2

Reset the unit to factory defaults. After cycling power a couple of times everything works. Beware that if you do a reset, it will erase the hard drive files. Not a big deal for me, since this was a new install and I only lost music that the previous owner installed. When it initially booted it showed "Chrysler" on the opening screen. After several minutes and a couple of cycles it switched to "Jeep".
So, conclusions -
The Lockpick will adapt an RER Mygig to a 2006 Cherokee
Avoid purchasing from USA accessories, they take the warranty period of 14 days seriously.
If your unit will only run the fan and you have a few technical skills, try disassembling and reseating all the cables. Be extra careful with the CD/DVD ribbon cable. It's easy to misalign.
As a last resort, try resetting to factory defaults in the engineering menu.

Tags
mygig

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in