Motorola GMRS Options - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 09-19-2019, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
TheBronze
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Motorola GMRS Options

So I should start this by explaining that I'm a long time ham radio guy. I've used Motorola gear for most of the last twenty five years. When it came time to put a GMRS Radio in my Jeep I wanted to make it a Motorola so that I could program in both my ham repeaters/simplexes and the GMRS channels. I settled on a Motorola XTS5000 UHF portable radio with a Convert-A-Comm vehicle adapter. This allows me to run the radio as a mobile, with an incredibly loud speaker, when on the move. I can switch back and forth between my ham stuff and the GMRS channels simply by switching "Zones" on the radio. When parked, I can remove the radio and carry it with my. The vehicle adapter keeps the radio charged up. I also decided to go with a black 1/4 wave NMO antenna on the cowling. This is very low profile and almost invisible. But the cowling is large enough for a ground plane at UHF frequencies and works better than a larger 5/8 wave antenna that's mounted on a hood mount or something similar. In effect, the Jeep becomes an antenna. the spike sticking up is only the radiator. I get all the local Los Angeles repeaters as well as a solid 5-6 miles of simplex out of this set up.

Just wanted to show options other than the Midland MXT series radios. They are great and super easy to install, but if your a bit of a gadget guy and want to try something else, Motorola has some cool options.

Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 09-20-2019, 01:46 PM
cranbiz

2012 JK Wrangler 

I have a HT1000 16 channel HT I use for my spotters to radio back to me.

Used Motorola gear in the fire service. That HT was my FD radio before I retired. Fortunately, RSS for the Jedi series radios is easy to find, however a laptop to program with is a bit harder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

06 KJ
12 JK, 2.5" Teraflex lift, Bilstein 5100's, BFG KM3's 37x12.5/R17
17 WK2 Trailhawk
KN4BBA
post #3 of 3 Old 09-21-2019, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
TheBronze
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Re: Ht1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranbiz View Post
I have a HT1000 16 channel HT I use for my spotters to radio back to me.

Used Motorola gear in the fire service. That HT was my FD radio before I retired. Fortunately, RSS for the Jedi series radios is easy to find, however a laptop to program with is a bit harder.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Congratulations on reaching retirement! I just retired myself after almost thirty years in the police service. We used those HT1000ís back in the 90ís when we were on VHF and I loved them! Super simple and reliable radio that just got the job done. Then we switched to 800Mhz trucked radios and the nightmare began!

Iím glad to see that some of that older gear is being repurposed. Iím glad that GMRS and Ham is finally starting to replace CB. I see so many going to the Midland MXT radios and I think theyíre fantastic for most Jeepers that just want a reliable two-way for trailing and convoys. But for us gadget geeks that can program eBay can be an awesome option!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in