Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

LED work lights BU MJ2017

544 views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  cranbiz 
#1 ·
Hi

Any recommendations on how to electronically connect some 200W (16A) work lights at a Renegade Trailhawk MJ 2017

Thanks
Karsten

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk Pro

#2 ·
What exactly are you trying to do? Add lights?

Most use a switch that operates a relay that powers the lights off the battery. Some will use a switched ignition source to power the relay, some use a direct battery connection.

#3 ·
I agree with the switch and relay approach. I would only add one thing. If you're planning on using an ignition source as part of the system, I would use it to run the switch-to-relay connection, it puts a much smaller load on your factory harness. I would follow this up by powering the lights through a fuse directly off battery power.

#6 ·
A Bosch style automotive relay has those numbers on the bottom of the relay. Terminals 85 and 86 are interchangable. You can put power or ground on either terminal.

If you get a 5 pin relay, there will also be a terminal 87a. In your use case, you can ignore that terminal.

#8 ·
Buy a fuse tap and insert it into the TIPM at M7. This is the 3 position, user selectable fuse for one of the accessory outlets.

If you use the left and middle position, that is always on, the middle and right position is on the accessory position.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.