LED Conversion Blinker Issues - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-31-2021, 11:12 AM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
LED Conversion Blinker Issues

At the suggestion of John Strenk, I'm putting this info out to the JF in general.

I have a 1980 CJ7 I managed to get to the last stages of a frame-off resto-mod. I'm pretty much running down final issues, one of which is my conversion of lighting to LEDs.

Here's the hardware:

- American Autowire (AAW) Classic Update Jeep Harness (Link to page with light wiring diagram)
- Non-Polarity 194 LEDs (marker lights)
- Non-Polarity 1157 LEDs (Parking Lights)
- LED Tail Lights
- LED H6024 Headlights w/Halos
- 2x EF32SS-R

I wired the halos into the turn signal circuits as per

I used the two flashers as per the recommendation of AAW. Here's what I'm running into:

With all of the LEDs in place, the system more or less says "No." So, I pulled the marker and parking LEDs and swapped back to incandescent bulbs.

1. Lights off, everything that is SUPPOSED to blink, blinks, including the 4-ways.
2. Parking lights on, I get front side marker and tail light blink. The Halos turn yellow, but don't flash. Same when I turn on the 4-ways.
3. Full lights on ... same deal as #2.

The front turns don't try to alternate with the lights on.
I'm not getting any "hyper-flash" issues.
I have ensured the grounds are all solid, and confirmed with a circuit check light.

At this point, I'm wondering if the headlights might be the issue?

This isn't a major issue I need to get fixed RIGHT NOW. My beast is a "pleasure" vehicle, and will normally be on the road during the day. The rear blinkers work, as do the front markers, and at least the halos turn yellow with the lights on.

I've tried different relays, but they provided less functionality in the system.

Thoughts?

This is more of an annoying issue I'm trying to resolve. I want LEDs because they're brighter, and since they use less energy, will put les of a strain on the 41 y.o. charging system.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

"Grinders and Paint Make You The Welder You Ain't!" -- from a t-shirt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-31-2021, 02:05 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Manufacturers wire diagram or instructions for installing the halo headlights ?

Sketch of wiring for your install ?

I would suppose the yellow circuit of the halos is wired into the parking light circuit and not the blinker circuit, or perhaps that there is some stray voltage and the circuits need some diodes.

Another possible option is to use a relay for each circuit. A DPDT relay would switch off White halo and switch on Yellow halo over and over as long as triggered by the turn signal blinking voltage.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/spd...ive-relays.asp

https://www.autospeed.com/cms/a_113162/article

With constant positive voltage, you can also use relays to switch the ground ON/OFF to make something blink.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/con...g-polarity.asp

“We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the Courts,
not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who would pervert the Constitution” Abraham Lincoln, 1859.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-01-2021, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
Manufacturers wire diagram or instructions for installing the halo headlights ?

Sketch of wiring for your install ?

I would suppose the yellow circuit of the halos is wired into the parking light circuit and not the blinker circuit, or perhaps that there is some stray voltage and the circuits need some diodes.

Another possible option is to use a relay for each circuit. A DPDT relay would switch off White halo and switch on Yellow halo over and over as long as triggered by the turn signal blinking voltage.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/spd...ive-relays.asp

https://www.autospeed.com/cms/a_113162/article

With constant positive voltage, you can also use relays to switch the ground ON/OFF to make something blink.

https://www.the12volt.com/relays/con...g-polarity.asp

The only thing from the manufacturer was showing what connections on the terminals were low beam, high beam, and ground, as well as what wire controlled which halo color. The rest of the "instructions" were "plug in the appropriate harness (H4, H13, etc.)." That's it.

As for the sketch of the wiring, see the AAW link and check out the instructions for kit 510576, Front Light Kit, and add the halo amber lead to the turn signal circuit, and the white halo lead to the parking light circuit.

I'll have a look at the articles you posted.

Thank you!

Dave
Mesa, AZ

post #4 of 4 Old 08-03-2021, 11:54 PM Thread Starter
Mongo228

1980 CJ7 

Garage
UPDATE:

I don't know what I did, other than just go through all of the connections and make sure everything was seated properly, but the blinkers are working more or less as intended. With the lights full-on, the parking lights don't blink, but the halos and side markers alternate like they're supposed to. Lights off, everything blinks like it's supposed to.

I guess I found some Whiskey ol' Murphy likes! (Skrewball, if you're curious.)

Heck, I even got the horn working properly! It HAD been routed through the washer pump circuit (I'm not running a washer tank/pump), but I FINALLY found the relay and got it hooked in.

So, my efforts at appeasing Mr. Murphy paid off. I think.

CJ7-Tim, thank you for your time and effort! I was actually putting together a diagram for wiring in relays based on the articles you linked. I might get the mats anyway, just in case.

Dave
Mesa, AZ

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in