Jeep TJ factory radio wired out of phase...NEED HELP!!! - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 10-18-2020, 09:21 AM Thread Starter
Rhopper1964

Jeep TJ factory radio wired out of phase...NEED HELP!!!

Hi everyone. I am sooo baffled right now and could use some help. I called several high end audio installers and no one could give me an answer. So here is the situation:

I bought a 1999 Jeep Wrangler Sport with 74k miles and no rust for $4k. But needs a lot of mechanical work replacing brakes, steering suspension, exhaust, ect... And it had a cheap head unit in it. I wanted to take it back to factory and sell this on Ebay with everything re-done and being collectors condition. I bought a factory OEM CD player for it out of a 2000 model. This model unit was also used in 1999 so it would still be a factory match to the vehicle. But the wiring harness was cut when they installed the cheap head unit. I tried to match up the wires for the new OEM unit that I was installing. But checking the wiring I noticed my harness has a blk/yellow wire that does not match up to the OEM unit wiring. This is for dimmer according to diagrams. I have an orange for illumination but no dimmer. Also in testing the speakers I noticed they are "out of phase" according to the wiring chart listed on the radio. Tested the speakers with a battery to check polarity. I was told some car manufacturers did this intentionally, but no one knows why or exactly which ones. And no where did I find any Jeep forums where someone questioned this except one. I was told to just leave them out of phase. But this is backwards and one one would think that it would sound worse than being in phase.

So my questions are: Do I just leave the dimmer wire disconnected or tie it into the orange Illumination wire? Also there is a (solid white) wire on the OEM head unit and is listed as "PARK". I have no wire from my harness that will connect t this. I imagine it is for maybe installing in a Cherokee or other model. But does this need to be grounded or connected somehow? And what is the PARK wire purpose? I know in newer head units with DVD it is a safety issue so you cannot watch movies while driving. But this is a stock radio with no DVD or screen. And also can anyone answer why the wiring is out of phase on purpose? I cannot believe no one has tested their speakers and run into this issue. Or did Chrysler change the pos and neg colors from 1999 to 2000? Which I highly doubt is the case. But this makes no sense to me that the wiring from the OEM radio is wired to the speakers in reverse polarity. And yes, I checked the speakers several times with a battery and marked them to make sure I wasn't losing my mind. lol I hope someone can help me, and shed some light on this, before I connect this up. Thanks All... PS the OEM head unit PN is P04704373AE

Last edited by Rhopper1964; 10-18-2020 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Just listed the new OEM radio was still used in 1999 although it was labeled as a 2000 yr model unit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 10-18-2020, 09:55 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

TMI DNR

The same Chrysler radios are installed in several different vehicle lines over many years 1980's - 2002.

Wire or rewire the speakers as you think necessary or functions best. Attach the dimmer wire to dashboard wire circuit or console wire circuit that dims. IDK what PARK is or does.

Since there is no picture of the head unit is your post, I searched eBay for P/N P04704373 and found this >>

Attached Thumbnails
4373.jpg  

“When the people find that they can vote themselves money, that will herald the end of the Republic.”

- Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 5 Old 10-18-2020, 10:18 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I pulled 99 audio wiring and only showed the system attached, I find it odd that there was only 1 system - Hope it helps.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 99TJ audio.pdf (151.5 KB, 2 views)

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.

post #4 of 5 Old 10-18-2020, 10:25 AM
jtec
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Attached is the radio connector - again only this one shown.....sorry but I did look
Attached Images

When I see the price of OEM I think aftermarket.
When I see the quality of aftermarket I think OEM.
post #5 of 5 Old 10-19-2020, 11:21 AM Thread Starter
Rhopper1964

Thanks Tim. I will have to look at my connectors to see if the wiring looks the same. But from my memory the wire colors and placements look different on this pic than my unit. I will post pics so you have a better understanding of what I'm working with. And may help someone else in the future if they run into this. Much appreciated.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in