interested in double din - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-14-2019, 06:40 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

interested in double din

I have a 2007 grand Cherokee which the stock audio unit and speakers (I believe is boston acoustics and no navigation display) and I'm interested in what would be needed to install a carplay double din receiver, as far as I know I would need the double din radio bezel and of course the receiver but I'm wondering how can I retain the steering cruise controls and if I would lose any other features by going aftermarket.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 12:11 PM
Bugsymalone666
2011 MK Compass 

So aside from the radio and the bezel adapter, you might also need a wiring adapter as aftermarket head units tend to have a different connection than the jeep (or at least thats what I have seen so far).

To retain your steering wheel controls, the cruise part is connected to the car itself not the radio, but the radio buttons there is an adapter you can get, Company called Connects2 make one for jeeps, looks like for some of the bigger models one unit does 2002> models, and smaller things like compass/patriot its from 2009>.

You might also need an aerial adapter too. Basically 3 lots of adapter cables!

post #3 of 7 Old 07-19-2019, 10:14 PM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsymalone666 View Post
So aside from the radio and the bezel adapter, you might also need a wiring adapter as aftermarket head units tend to have a different connection than the jeep (or at least thats what I have seen so far).

To retain your steering wheel controls, the cruise part is connected to the car itself not the radio, but the radio buttons there is an adapter you can get, Company called Connects2 make one for jeeps, looks like for some of the bigger models one unit does 2002> models, and smaller things like compass/patriot its from 2009>.

You might also need an aerial adapter too. Basically 3 lots of adapter cables!

Oh hey, thank you very much for the info; so I can keep my cruise control without an adapter? my steering wheel doesn't have radio control; I was thinking on one of the pioneer head units since they seem to have good reviews.

what would an aerial adapter do?

post #4 of 7 Old 07-20-2019, 06:09 AM
Bugsymalone666
2011 MK Compass 

I'll admit I dont specifically know how Jeep have laid the controls out electrically as my background is VWs, but on them The steering wheel buttons on older cars go to a steering wheel control module which then sends a signal to the radio or the ECU to say whats happening, on the newer ones there is like a central control unit and the steering wheel talks to that. I dont think it would make sense for the steering wheel to only talk to the radio!

I have had a look online at Jeep Cruise upgrade kits and they definitely have a box that comes with the cruise stalk, so I'd say its the same.

If you say you dont have radio controls, the cruise will just talk to the engine management via a control module.

The aerial adapter may be required, most after market radios have like an aerial socket or I want to say a button connector (fastens a bit like a metal popper, older factory vw units have them and some after market radios have them too) it seems the jeeps can come with a few different types of connector, either a metal screw together or they have this new type of connector I have seen used on many radios, but only OEM ones, which is plastic on the outside. So you need an adapter to go from the aerial connector to the radio.

heres an example:

The left hand connector is normally what plugs in to most aftermarket stereos, the right hand connector will accept the Jeeps aerial connector.

This adapter is 2002-2007 Cherokee apparently:

https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-2002.../dp/B019HHMCAM

however it seems a 2007 is a model year changeover, so its always possible that the first picture at the top might be the connector type.
post #5 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 02:01 AM
WSS
Graduate U-Tube Univ.

2000 TJ Wrangler 

https://smile.amazon.com/Navigation-...Grand+Cherokee

I have a few of the pioneer decks. Carplay is cool. My favorite is a avic-700xx it has GPS too.

The family TJ build:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

non stock CJ's:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My CJ5 Build:

post #6 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 08:20 AM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsymalone666 View Post
I'll admit I dont specifically know how Jeep have laid the controls out electrically as my background is VWs, but on them The steering wheel buttons on older cars go to a steering wheel control module which then sends a signal to the radio or the ECU to say whats happening, on the newer ones there is like a central control unit and the steering wheel talks to that. I dont think it would make sense for the steering wheel to only talk to the radio!

I have had a look online at Jeep Cruise upgrade kits and they definitely have a box that comes with the cruise stalk, so I'd say its the same.

If you say you dont have radio controls, the cruise will just talk to the engine management via a control module.

The aerial adapter may be required, most after market radios have like an aerial socket or I want to say a button connector (fastens a bit like a metal popper, older factory vw units have them and some after market radios have them too) it seems the jeeps can come with a few different types of connector, either a metal screw together or they have this new type of connector I have seen used on many radios, but only OEM ones, which is plastic on the outside. So you need an adapter to go from the aerial connector to the radio.

heres an example:

The left hand connector is normally what plugs in to most aftermarket stereos, the right hand connector will accept the Jeeps aerial connector.

This adapter is 2002-2007 Cherokee apparently:

https://www.amazon.com/Cherokee-2002.../dp/B019HHMCAM

however it seems a 2007 is a model year changeover, so its always possible that the first picture at the top might be the connector type.
again thanks for the info; Ill look into those adapters and I think not having the steering radio control will make it easier.
post #7 of 7 Old 07-21-2019, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Alex_

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSS View Post
https://smile.amazon.com/Navigation-...Grand+Cherokee

I have a few of the pioneer decks. Carplay is cool. My favorite is a avic-700xx it has GPS too.
They seem to be well regarded and I wanted to try the carplay functionality; oh that's the same nav bezel I was looking at, it should be a perfect fit for the interior.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in