I need help with hid lights - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 03:31 PM Thread Starter
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

The only problem I might have is the depth of the projectors. Behind the headlight bucket the grill actually wraps around. I wouldn't be willing to chop up my grill only to find out it doesn't work. But if I can get a short enough set of projectors they might fit entirely inside of my housing. I believe the non bi xenon projectors are shorter. I'll take some measurments next time I go to the junkyard.

If all else fails I'm going to keep searching ebay for some oem stuff and get a kit from the retrofit source. I found a wiring harness, bulbs, and balasts for $160 from them. I've seen a few bmw and audi stuff go for $50-$80, asking price at least. But $240 seems like a decent price.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 24 Old 10-28-2011, 10:15 PM Thread Starter
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well i have a new question for you guys. Can I use two different Bi xenon projectors? I found an ebay seller with two different auctions one from a range rover and another from a bmw. They are both 3 inch diameter and both take d2s bulbs (I think). They look almost identical and once the shrouds are on you wouldn't even notice. The lenses even look the same.
So would it work?
post #18 of 24 Old 10-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Bojon

1981 CJ5 

They might have different patterns but I don't see how there would be any issues using two different projectors

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jered

post #19 of 24 Old 10-29-2011, 10:06 PM Thread Starter
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Just an update, the two projectors take different bulbs one takes a d1s and the other a d2s. However I read that a d1s projector can accept a d2s bulb with little or sometimes no modification. I asked for a few more pictures from the seller but if all goes well i should have some projectors.

If anybody here has done a retrofit with a d1s projector and d2s bulb I would love some feedback. (yes a long shot I know but I had to try)
Otherwise It's back to google for me.
post #20 of 24 Old 11-01-2011, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well somebody else bought one of the projectors before me, so my search continues.
Anyway I started looking at hid off road lights. The nice 7 inch red ring style(i forget the brand) are going for about $200 give or take. This got me thinking why not just get a set of these. Plug and play same as a halogen because it has an internal balast. The only downside I see is not being able to use them in traffic because of the blindness factor, that's one of the main reasons I wanted them in my headlights.

I guess what I'm trying to say is I'm having second thoughts. For some reason I can't convince myself to spend $300. Maybe some output shots would convince me if anybody can link me some threads that would be appreciated. The only thread I could find was oman's and his cost a lot more. I just am not sure that hid is $300 better than my current setup.
post #21 of 24 Old 11-02-2011, 08:57 AM
SirGCal
RIP

You're also treading dangerously close to legal issues. And MI is known for being overly picky about this stuff... Retro-fit kits aren't legal in many areas. And putting one vehicle's projectors in another aren't legal in many places either. But basically, if you can do it with DOT legal equipment without cutting or modifying it, then you have a fair chance. But the latest trend is to cut up DOT legal lenses to install projectors into the back. This is getting busted down hard in many areas including not only a failed inspection but a huge fine and even impound-ment in some cases. If you're going to do it, be sure you do it right... Even if it's more expensive... It's cheaper in the long run; HIDs are NOT cheap... $200 HIDs are most likely not going to happen. Plus the last guy that I know who was fined for a similar infraction, the fine was many thousands... not even hundreds... In turn, doing it right the first time would have been many times over, much cheaper.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
post #22 of 24 Old 11-02-2011, 08:24 PM Thread Starter
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I am aware of the legality issues of retrofitting but the way I see it is like this, first off if it blinds oncomming traffic I won't use it on my jeep plain and simple. Just because something isn't dot approved doesn't mean it's dangerous. Right now I have autopals that aren't street legal but because they are adjusted right they don't blind people. I have checked it myself and have never been flashed. Secondly I live in a non-inspection state. Which does not excuse me from the law but as long as the new projector kit doesn't blind people I won't have trouble from the cops.

I now realize my initial $200 estimate is off by quite a bit. But I'm not sacraficing quality for price. The retrofit source has some high quality stuff and as for the projectors I was looking at were oem, from what I read the best quality for cutoff. I am just trying to see if there are any good kits to be had for less than $400.

The last thing I want to do is put somebody else in danger because I want fancy lights, which is why I'm looking for projectors and not just a set of bulbs and balasts.
post #23 of 24 Old 11-02-2011, 08:29 PM
Bojon

1981 CJ5 

Well Jeff whichever route you decide to go I'm just glad your taking others into account and not putting HID lights in a regular halogen housing

Jered
post #24 of 24 Old 11-21-2011, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
88Jeff94
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Well i've been looking on Ebay for a while now and may have found a new candidate. From a 2009 audi bixenon, but for d1s d3s bulbs. Not a big deal to convert for d2s. And the best part $41.99 if no one else bids. The size is a bit concerning, I'm asking the seller for measurements but if all goes well I may be on my way. As an added bonus the kit from the retrofit source is 155, bringing my grand total to.............. $196.99.

With misilaneous parts I will go over and the harness may cost 160 if i go with longer wires, but all things considered pretty close to budget.

Just wanted to keep you guys posted and will update if I end up buying the projectors.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audi-A4-A5-R...item2eb9636d2d

Tags
hid , projector

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in