How many hams do we have on here? - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
 135Likes
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #526 of 698 Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 AM
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
My buddy has a trick HF 'go bag' we take camping in the remote mountains/desert. Yeasu 857, a model power amp and a G5RV jr. More work when no trees, but we get creative. And we do 'mountaintopping' also especially on 6m in a remote location. We like to power up in hard to reach grids and help out others get a confirmed contact.
Lol that's awesome.

mike134 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #527 of 698 Old 05-11-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Castle Pines
Posts: 3,296
Well with the petty rules here where we live, it'll be hard to do an antenna on the deck without some attention. They never said anything about attached to my vehicle. I do have a G5RV and G5RV jr, that I can roll out when in the woods. The jr is good down to 40m, but more 20m. The standard length 102' is supposed to work down to 80m. Have an LDG auto tuner for it as well. Just need to put the yaesu 757gx to the test
streetglideok is offline  
post #528 of 698 Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 PM
XJ99
Registered User
 
XJ99's Avatar
2019 KL Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Raleigh, NC
Posts: 14,075
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Well with the petty rules here where we live, it'll be hard to do an antenna on the deck without some attention. They never said anything about attached to my vehicle. I do have a G5RV and G5RV jr, that I can roll out when in the woods. The jr is good down to 40m, but more 20m. The standard length 102' is supposed to work down to 80m. Have an LDG auto tuner for it as well. Just need to put the yaesu 757gx to the test

With the Eagle One, you'd need to be on the top
floor for best results. The cool thing is it collapse
to 4' feet. Not really noticeable. At night you could
raise it up to 32 feet.

When people are spending an hour or so messing
around with trees, potato guns, sling shots, and weights,
I'm already up and running in 5 minutes.

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.
XJ99 is offline  
 
post #529 of 698 Old 05-12-2016, 01:30 PM
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
With the Eagle One, you'd need to be on the top
floor for best results. The cool thing is it collapse
to 4' feet. Not really noticeable. At night you could
raise it up to 32 feet.

When people are spending an hour or so messing
around with trees, potato guns, sling shots, and weights,
I'm already up and running in 5 minutes.
haha, that eagle one looks pretty awesome!

As far as the previous poster goes, he does have to be the TOP balcony in order to get 32 feet though. lol.
mike134 is offline  
post #530 of 698 Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Castle Pines
Posts: 3,296
I'm on the ground floor/second floor, with another unit above me.
streetglideok is offline  
post #531 of 698 Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
I'm on the ground floor/second floor, with another unit above me.
You could mount it to your railing cantilevered out and then raise it up past their balcony.

lol

If they touch it, they're going to get burned while you transmit though.
mike134 is offline  
post #532 of 698 Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Maxheadspace
Registered User
2016 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Washington
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Well with the petty rules here where we live, it'll be hard to do an antenna on the deck without some attention. They never said anything about attached to my vehicle. I do have a G5RV and G5RV jr, that I can roll out when in the woods. The jr is good down to 40m, but more 20m. The standard length 102' is supposed to work down to 80m. Have an LDG auto tuner for it as well. Just need to put the yaesu 757gx to the test
Home owner associations are pain that are increasingly harder to avoid. I've set up a lot of stealth configurations that have been invisible to the HOA police. Right now I have an MFJ-1668 adjustable antenna that works 80m through 6m, but you have to manually tune it between bands. I put it on an MFJ-1918EX tripod that will get it up around 10 feet, which coupled with the 10 to 13 feet of antenna gets me up there to a reasonable height for a portable antenna. To get really low SWR on the low bands I have to use an MFJ-909 capacitive matcher. Because it is portable (not a permanent fixture) it usually will not fall under HOA restrictions. You could do the same with a Tarheel screwdriver antenna and have electric tuning. With this kind of antenna you either have to have a good ground or run some counterpoise wires cut to appropriate length, which is what I use. I've had very good results with this. Another benefit of the MFJ-1668 antenna is that you can mount it on the Jeep, although it's a bit bulky.

Other options: I have two 20mtr ham sticks connected in dipole configuration in the attic which works pretty well. I've also used an SGC autotuner with a large loop of wire which also worked great.
Maxheadspace is offline  
post #533 of 698 Old 05-14-2016, 02:32 PM
mike134
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Cleveland
Posts: 6,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxheadspace View Post
Home owner associations are pain that are increasingly harder to avoid. I've set up a lot of stealth configurations that have been invisible to the HOA police. Right now I have an MFJ-1668 adjustable antenna that works 80m through 6m, but you have to manually tune it between bands. I put it on an MFJ-1918EX tripod that will get it up around 10 feet, which coupled with the 10 to 13 feet of antenna gets me up there to a reasonable height for a portable antenna. To get really low SWR on the low bands I have to use an MFJ-909 capacitive matcher. Because it is portable (not a permanent fixture) it usually will not fall under HOA restrictions. You could do the same with a Tarheel screwdriver antenna and have electric tuning. With this kind of antenna you either have to have a good ground or run some counterpoise wires cut to appropriate length, which is what I use. I've had very good results with this. Another benefit of the MFJ-1668 antenna is that you can mount it on the Jeep, although it's a bit bulky.

Other options: I have two 20mtr ham sticks connected in dipole configuration in the attic which works pretty well. I've also used an SGC autotuner with a large loop of wire which also worked great.

OWNING the the home is very different from renting. Home OWNER'S associations can not stop you from setting up a amateur radio antenna. If they do, you need to contact your local club or the ARRL. They'll hlep you out. they have a lot of experience with dealing with HOM.

A few of the articles I read which battled the associations ended in the home owner setting up the maximum FCC and FAA legal antenna height towers out of spite (where a smaller antenna would have sufficed).
mike134 is offline  
post #534 of 698 Old 05-19-2016, 10:20 AM
iweb
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pahrump
Posts: 44
I took a home brew 40m/80m NVIS antenna to our lot in Duck Creek, Utah last week and could not get better than 10-1 swr even though I have used it before. So I took it apart and cut a wire for 40m and strung it 7' off the ground between 2 trees and layed a single wire under it for a reflector.

I was running 75w out of a Icom 706 that was powered by a 12v battery. I talked into S. Ca and got a S9 signal report from 2 stations that were running 1500w so I was very happy. I have the same setup at home but I use metal hog panels for a reflector and can talk from 60 miles to 1,000 miles assuming the 40m band is good.
Attached Images
 
iweb is offline  
post #535 of 698 Old 05-19-2016, 03:44 PM
89YJBuilder
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rathdrum
Posts: 994
Garage
Like the hog panel idea. Did you bury it or set it on top of the ground?

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
89YJBuilder is offline  
post #536 of 698 Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM
iweb
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Pahrump
Posts: 44
The panels are laying on the ground, I have a few from my goat pens.
iweb is offline  
post #537 of 698 Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 PM
89YJBuilder
Registered User
1989 YJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Rathdrum
Posts: 994
Garage
Nice I'll have to check into that. In the Army we were taught to use a "space blanket" to make a reflector when setting up field expedient comms. A little lighter and packs down smaller.

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
89YJBuilder is offline  
post #538 of 698 Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 PM
RARECJ8
Registered User
 
RARECJ8's Avatar
1981 CJ8 
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Reno/Tahoe
Posts: 2,578
a local ham wanted to set up a world class station for reliable global commo. HOA said no, he sued and after lots of $, prevailed. and it is a 200' legal max tower on top of a 5ooo' mesa. k5rc

insightful reading here. they had $ to fight and that can make a difference.

http://www.jmargolin.com/towers/tom_index.htm


OTOH, saw one of these in action on a recent trail ride. Am sold.

Yaesu FTM-400DR

C4FM FDMA / FM
144/430 MHz DUAL BAND TRANSCEIVER

Sell the kids to buy one. best part is www interface via aprs. post messages to facebook. silly? maybe but for remote back country travel helpful tool to update family and friends. or elsewise. multiple platforms. We often travel extreme remote areas of the great basin (think between reno and salt lake city and up/down from there) and in only very few areas we are never far from a digipeater. We often find a solid DP link whern regular 'closer' analog/fm repeaters are no go. Last haul near Tybo, NV ghost town we remained in link with a DP near Boundary Peak near Bishop, CA. that is a long haul.

sending updates via aprs interests me. may have to sat aside the spot locator. anyone have know how sending test and other data msgs via aprs?

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
RARECJ8 is offline  
post #539 of 698 Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 AM
prerunner1982
Registered User
 
prerunner1982's Avatar
1993 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Edmond, OK
Posts: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
best part is www interface via aprs. post messages to facebook. silly?
I would have to see it to believe it. I guess with a base radio connected to a computer and receiving APRS and a little programming you could probably have the computer watch for your call sign and automatically post text messages to facebook. Maybe even a computer alone watching your messages on aprs.fi could repost anything you sent directly to facebook. But accessing Facebook directly from your radio via aprs.... I don't know about all that.

Jon
1993 XJ Sport 2 door
prerunner1982 is offline  
post #540 of 698 Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
streetglideok
Registered User
2005 KJ Liberty 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Castle Pines
Posts: 3,296
Don't think you can do that either. Too much data, with the minimal baud rate of data allowed. Now you can send emails out, as well as messages to others with aprs. There is a ham in Canada who is a member on this site, or used to be, that I would send messages to every so often. There are some software programs that run on a laptop that allow easier sending of messages. aprsis32 I think is the name. Not real hard to interface with the kenwood D710
streetglideok is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Any Hams out there..?? CountryBoysZJ Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 34 11-14-2011 03:53 PM
any other Hams on here doing anything with DSTAR ? ShadowWolf Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 5 12-27-2010 03:29 PM
Hams: Anyone put a NMO mount on a hardtop ?? TheFog Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 2 12-17-2010 06:21 AM
Any hams on here? zpedrick Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 31 11-08-2007 11:54 AM
Any HAMs here? Malpaso Audio, CB & Ham Radios, GPS, & Electrical 18 04-13-2007 05:10 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome