How many hams do we have on here? - Page 36 - JeepForum.com
 135Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #526 of 698 Old 05-10-2016, 11:36 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
My buddy has a trick HF 'go bag' we take camping in the remote mountains/desert. Yeasu 857, a model power amp and a G5RV jr. More work when no trees, but we get creative. And we do 'mountaintopping' also especially on 6m in a remote location. We like to power up in hard to reach grids and help out others get a confirmed contact.
Lol that's awesome.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #527 of 698 Old 05-11-2016, 07:31 PM Thread Starter
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Well with the petty rules here where we live, it'll be hard to do an antenna on the deck without some attention. They never said anything about attached to my vehicle. I do have a G5RV and G5RV jr, that I can roll out when in the woods. The jr is good down to 40m, but more 20m. The standard length 102' is supposed to work down to 80m. Have an LDG auto tuner for it as well. Just need to put the yaesu 757gx to the test
post #528 of 698 Old 05-11-2016, 09:05 PM
XJ99

2019 KL Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetglideok View Post
Well with the petty rules here where we live, it'll be hard to do an antenna on the deck without some attention. They never said anything about attached to my vehicle. I do have a G5RV and G5RV jr, that I can roll out when in the woods. The jr is good down to 40m, but more 20m. The standard length 102' is supposed to work down to 80m. Have an LDG auto tuner for it as well. Just need to put the yaesu 757gx to the test

With the Eagle One, you'd need to be on the top
floor for best results. The cool thing is it collapse
to 4' feet. Not really noticeable. At night you could
raise it up to 32 feet.

When people are spending an hour or so messing
around with trees, potato guns, sling shots, and weights,
I'm already up and running in 5 minutes.

When we do right, no one remembers. When we do wrong, no one forgets.

post #529 of 698 Old 05-12-2016, 01:30 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ99 View Post
With the Eagle One, you'd need to be on the top
floor for best results. The cool thing is it collapse
to 4' feet. Not really noticeable. At night you could
raise it up to 32 feet.

When people are spending an hour or so messing
around with trees, potato guns, sling shots, and weights,
I'm already up and running in 5 minutes.
haha, that eagle one looks pretty awesome!

As far as the previous poster goes, he does have to be the TOP balcony in order to get 32 feet though. lol.
post #530 of 698 Old 05-12-2016, 09:48 PM Thread Starter
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

I'm on the ground floor/second floor, with another unit above me.
post #531 of 698 Old 05-13-2016, 11:26 AM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
I'm on the ground floor/second floor, with another unit above me.
You could mount it to your railing cantilevered out and then raise it up past their balcony.

lol

If they touch it, they're going to get burned while you transmit though.
post #532 of 698 Old 05-14-2016, 09:16 AM
Maxheadspace
2016 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Home owner associations are pain that are increasingly harder to avoid. I've set up a lot of stealth configurations that have been invisible to the HOA police. Right now I have an MFJ-1668 adjustable antenna that works 80m through 6m, but you have to manually tune it between bands. I put it on an MFJ-1918EX tripod that will get it up around 10 feet, which coupled with the 10 to 13 feet of antenna gets me up there to a reasonable height for a portable antenna. To get really low SWR on the low bands I have to use an MFJ-909 capacitive matcher. Because it is portable (not a permanent fixture) it usually will not fall under HOA restrictions. You could do the same with a Tarheel screwdriver antenna and have electric tuning. With this kind of antenna you either have to have a good ground or run some counterpoise wires cut to appropriate length, which is what I use. I've had very good results with this. Another benefit of the MFJ-1668 antenna is that you can mount it on the Jeep, although it's a bit bulky.

Other options: I have two 20mtr ham sticks connected in dipole configuration in the attic which works pretty well. I've also used an SGC autotuner with a large loop of wire which also worked great.
post #533 of 698 Old 05-14-2016, 02:32 PM
mike134
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxheadspace View Post
Home owner associations are pain that are increasingly harder to avoid. I've set up a lot of stealth configurations that have been invisible to the HOA police. Right now I have an MFJ-1668 adjustable antenna that works 80m through 6m, but you have to manually tune it between bands. I put it on an MFJ-1918EX tripod that will get it up around 10 feet, which coupled with the 10 to 13 feet of antenna gets me up there to a reasonable height for a portable antenna. To get really low SWR on the low bands I have to use an MFJ-909 capacitive matcher. Because it is portable (not a permanent fixture) it usually will not fall under HOA restrictions. You could do the same with a Tarheel screwdriver antenna and have electric tuning. With this kind of antenna you either have to have a good ground or run some counterpoise wires cut to appropriate length, which is what I use. I've had very good results with this. Another benefit of the MFJ-1668 antenna is that you can mount it on the Jeep, although it's a bit bulky.

Other options: I have two 20mtr ham sticks connected in dipole configuration in the attic which works pretty well. I've also used an SGC autotuner with a large loop of wire which also worked great.

OWNING the the home is very different from renting. Home OWNER'S associations can not stop you from setting up a amateur radio antenna. If they do, you need to contact your local club or the ARRL. They'll hlep you out. they have a lot of experience with dealing with HOM.

A few of the articles I read which battled the associations ended in the home owner setting up the maximum FCC and FAA legal antenna height towers out of spite (where a smaller antenna would have sufficed).
post #534 of 698 Old 05-19-2016, 10:20 AM
iweb
1993 ZJ 

I took a home brew 40m/80m NVIS antenna to our lot in Duck Creek, Utah last week and could not get better than 10-1 swr even though I have used it before. So I took it apart and cut a wire for 40m and strung it 7' off the ground between 2 trees and layed a single wire under it for a reflector.

I was running 75w out of a Icom 706 that was powered by a 12v battery. I talked into S. Ca and got a S9 signal report from 2 stations that were running 1500w so I was very happy. I have the same setup at home but I use metal hog panels for a reflector and can talk from 60 miles to 1,000 miles assuming the 40m band is good.
Attached Images

post #535 of 698 Old 05-19-2016, 03:44 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Like the hog panel idea. Did you bury it or set it on top of the ground?

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #536 of 698 Old 05-20-2016, 07:26 AM
iweb
1993 ZJ 

The panels are laying on the ground, I have a few from my goat pens.
post #537 of 698 Old 05-20-2016, 01:03 PM
89YJBuilder
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Garage
Nice I'll have to check into that. In the Army we were taught to use a "space blanket" to make a reflector when setting up field expedient comms. A little lighter and packs down smaller.

Keep your boogger hook off the bang button!
When all else fails... ham radio is there!
KG6YSF
post #538 of 698 Old 05-20-2016, 09:19 PM
RARECJ8

1981 CJ8 

a local ham wanted to set up a world class station for reliable global commo. HOA said no, he sued and after lots of $, prevailed. and it is a 200' legal max tower on top of a 5ooo' mesa. k5rc

insightful reading here. they had $ to fight and that can make a difference.

http://www.jmargolin.com/towers/tom_index.htm

OTOH, saw one of these in action on a recent trail ride. Am sold.

Yaesu FTM-400DR

C4FM FDMA / FM
144/430 MHz DUAL BAND TRANSCEIVER

Sell the kids to buy one. best part is www interface via aprs. post messages to facebook. silly? maybe but for remote back country travel helpful tool to update family and friends. or elsewise. multiple platforms. We often travel extreme remote areas of the great basin (think between reno and salt lake city and up/down from there) and in only very few areas we are never far from a digipeater. We often find a solid DP link whern regular 'closer' analog/fm repeaters are no go. Last haul near Tybo, NV ghost town we remained in link with a DP near Boundary Peak near Bishop, CA. that is a long haul.

sending updates via aprs interests me. may have to sat aside the spot locator. anyone have know how sending test and other data msgs via aprs?

Look it's a 4.6!
Life member BRC
Cal4Wheel. ECV 3697

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #539 of 698 Old 05-23-2016, 07:54 AM
prerunner1982

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RARECJ8 View Post
best part is www interface via aprs. post messages to facebook. silly?
I would have to see it to believe it. I guess with a base radio connected to a computer and receiving APRS and a little programming you could probably have the computer watch for your call sign and automatically post text messages to facebook. Maybe even a computer alone watching your messages on aprs.fi could repost anything you sent directly to facebook. But accessing Facebook directly from your radio via aprs.... I don't know about all that.

Jon
1993 XJ Sport 2 door
post #540 of 698 Old 05-23-2016, 09:35 PM Thread Starter
streetglideok
2005 KJ Liberty 

Don't think you can do that either. Too much data, with the minimal baud rate of data allowed. Now you can send emails out, as well as messages to others with aprs. There is a ham in Canada who is a member on this site, or used to be, that I would send messages to every so often. There are some software programs that run on a laptop that allow easier sending of messages. aprsis32 I think is the name. Not real hard to interface with the kenwood D710

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in