Help Picking Speakers - JeepForum.com
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 11-25-2015, 01:04 PM Thread Starter
jdritch
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Omaha
Posts: 9
Help Picking Speakers

First so everyone knows I'm new to this forum so if this is in the wrong section I apologize ahead of time.

I have an '87 Comanche Base 4.0. I am needing to get 5.25 inch speakers for both doors cause one is blown and the other is gone. I know little to nothing about this kind of stuff and I am needing help to decide what to get. I am trying to keep the cost of the speakers as low as possible.

Here is the info about my current setup:

My Radio

The speakers I am trying to decide upon.

I also have a Lightning Audio 1000w amp but I don't plan on putting it in any time soon unless I find a really good deal on a sub.

Any help would be appreciated. Right now I am leaning towards the Kicker in the list but I don't know if my radio can handle it.

jdritch is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 5 Old 11-26-2015, 08:27 AM
SirGCal
RIP
 
SirGCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 10,936
If you are not getting an amp, I would instantly not get the Boss or CS. Your radio is going to be putting out somewhere around 18-22W RMS and that's it. So to get it to sound good, you need to match that to the speakers you purchase. The Kenwoods at 30W RMS rated would be about the strongest I'd put on there. But that's how you match up power and speakers. Pretty simple. Match up impedance and RMS values (for head units, 4-ohms almost always). That's how to get volume and control out of the speaker. You can run any speaker off almost no power cleanly, until you want to turn it up.

Now, the far more important part for you is to go listen to them. There are tons of budget speakers (20-30W RMS range) out there from many manufacturers, each with a different sound profile. Take your (clean) material, go to the store and listen. And listen at a mild level. Ears like volume which can trick ya.

The last option is ofcorse, getting more speakers and an amp and going stronger all around.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline  
post #3 of 5 Old 11-26-2015, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
jdritch
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Omaha
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
If you are not getting an amp, I would instantly not get the Boss or CS. Your radio is going to be putting out somewhere around 18-22W RMS and that's it. So to get it to sound good, you need to match that to the speakers you purchase. The Kenwoods at 30W RMS rated would be about the strongest I'd put on there. But that's how you match up power and speakers. Pretty simple. Match up impedance and RMS values (for head units, 4-ohms almost always). That's how to get volume and control out of the speaker. You can run any speaker off almost no power cleanly, until you want to turn it up.
Thanks for the info about speakers. I'm probably gonna keep looking. I'm going to try and find a speaker that is closer to that RMS range. I didn't know what I should look at when buying speakers. I don't really have any stores in my area that sell speakers besides Walmart and a Best Buy. When I listened to what they have that you can listen to pioneer sounded that best but I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible. I'm just trying to find something to put in until I get the time and more money to go all out.

Are polk, pyle, or Boss Audio any good if I can't find a kicker that will work?
jdritch is offline  
 
post #4 of 5 Old 11-26-2015, 04:54 PM
SirGCal
RIP
 
SirGCal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 10,936
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdritch View Post
Thanks for the info about speakers. I'm probably gonna keep looking. I'm going to try and find a speaker that is closer to that RMS range. I didn't know what I should look at when buying speakers. I don't really have any stores in my area that sell speakers besides Walmart and a Best Buy. When I listened to what they have that you can listen to pioneer sounded that best but I'm trying to keep the price as low as possible. I'm just trying to find something to put in until I get the time and more money to go all out.

Are polk, pyle, or Boss Audio any good if I can't find a kicker that will work?
Honestly, for speakers, as long as they properly operate, all of them are good. If there is a quality problem that would be something else. But from the cheapest bargain speakers to the most expensive specialty speakers, as long as they work properly, all of them are good. What is important though is YOUR personal views of the speaker with YOUR ears. That's the gotcha. What I mean is, I have my favorite brands, so do a lot of others. I could tell you my absolute favorite car speaker, you might get it and decide I'm out of my mind cause they are not what YOUR ear wants to hear, for example.

Now I can guide, or other people, but only YOU can say 'the Pioneers and Polks are most flavorful to my personal ears'. A lot of people for example, love Infinity speakers. They are a fine, quality product (although they do play with the impedance numbers which can cause some issues with certain layouts and amps, etc. but that's another topic). However for ME, they are too sharp. Too strong on the higher frequencies. I prefer a flatter response with mellower highs. This opinion was also from an older set and it might be different today, I haven't used them in some time. But that's also MY opinion for MY ears. That's why I suggest that no one can say 'this is the best speaker' cause it's all dependent on your individual tastes.

Also, some people will go to the store, listen to a bunch of speakers and say 'They all sound the same...???' NOTHING wrong with that either. Infact it makes this all easier for them cause they won't be as picky and can just balance the numbers, get good sound and be happy. Only you can decide for yourself.

Now that I've said that enormous book of information, you can go shopping armed with knowledge. Also you can usually ignore any salesmen there as they try god knows what and all-too-often, the least educated here are more knowledgeable than them. You have the information you need. If you want to run off a head unit, that head unit, it's going to put out minimal real usable power. Look for lower RMS speakers, I'd say no more then 30-35W RMS tops so that the radio can maintain control over the speakers at volume. OR if you do plan to add an amp later, plan for that and get more capable speakers to match up to the amp you plan to purchase. It's really that simple.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
SirGCal is offline  
post #5 of 5 Old 11-27-2015, 10:10 PM Thread Starter
jdritch
Registered User
1987 MJ Comanche 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Omaha
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
Now that I've said that enormous book of information, you can go shopping armed with knowledge. Also you can usually ignore any salesmen there as they try god knows what and all-too-often, the least educated here are more knowledgeable than them. You have the information you need. If you want to run off a head unit, that head unit, it's going to put out minimal real usable power. Look for lower RMS speakers, I'd say no more then 30-35W RMS tops so that the radio can maintain control over the speakers at volume. OR if you do plan to add an amp later, plan for that and get more capable speakers to match up to the amp you plan to purchase. It's really that simple.
Thanks greatly for taking the time to explain this to me. I think I should be able to choose the right speakers. If not I guess that's what return policies are for(). I'm probably gonna get a pair of speakers with around 30 RMS and see what happens. Now I just have to wait for Cyber Monday and see what kind of deals I can find if there will be any. I'm mostly looking at Amazon, Crutchfield, and Sonicelectronix, and maybe Walmart.
jdritch is offline  
Reply

Tags
speakers

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in











Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome