Heavy battery drain with aftermarket radio - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 11:51 AM Thread Starter
bigbdroid
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Heavy battery drain with aftermarket radio

Hey y'all.

I have an 02 WJ that I put an aftermarket stereo (Pioneer DEH-S5010BT) into.

According to the instructions (through scosche/crutchfield) I have installed everything correctly. However, even with a brand-new battery, it drains the battery within 48-72 hours.

If anyone out there knows why and can help, please do. If you need any more info please ask and I will do my best to supply it as soon as I can.

If you've never gone too far you'll never know how far you can go.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 12:15 PM
jeep_2017

Well could be several things.

But first we should see if the radio is still turned on when key is removed.

I think i would start with this idea, that the radio is not turning off but test for that.

By pulling the radio fuse or power to the radio.

I believe the radio gets power from the ignition, and turns off when key is off.

But perhaps someone modified that so the radio stays on all the time.

Dead battery, unless you manually can turn the radio off at the radio.

You could add a power off switch if finding the radio power mod by prevous owners is to hard

Could also be a defect in the radio off circuit.

Or incorrect wiring of the sense power wire.

Also adding something like a solar panel in the cig lighter can make the radio drain the battery, by turning it on.
post #3 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
bigbdroid
2004 XJ Cherokee 

I do that the radio does not come on when the key is removed. At least not after the door is opened or timer ends. Everything works as it should except for the huge drain.

I have heard of people having this same issue when using the crutchfield wiring instructions. However nobody ever says how they resolved the problem.

post #4 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 12:25 PM Thread Starter
bigbdroid
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Also there is no drain with the factory radio installed

post #5 of 14 Old 11-14-2019, 05:41 PM
V8GCZJ

Was the stereo new? There is a constant power lead and an ignition feed to turn the stereo on. What about the instructions from Pioneer? If you don't have them you should be able to get them direct(pdf file). I would double check the wiring with the info from Pioneer for that model.

A few key strokes...
https://www.pioneerelectronics.com/S...nual070617.pdf
post #6 of 14 Old 11-15-2019, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
bigbdroid
2004 XJ Cherokee 

The stereo is/was new. I do have the instructions and I am using a Scosche wire harness. I have to the best of my knowledge followed the wiring diagrams to the T. I even went in crutchfield.com and used their instructions as a double check.

I found (using a multimeter) the wire (1 of them) that was only powered when the key is in either the on/run or acc position. And the wire (1 of them) that is always hot. I connected them according to the instructions.

I figured the battery was old, so I purchased a new one. Same thing with either battery. If I park it and leave the battery connected it will be dead within 48-72 hours.

post #7 of 14 Old 11-16-2019, 10:00 AM
V8GCZJ

I would check and make sure the constant 12V supply is correct and the ignition feed wire(to turn on the unit)is disconnected. Then put a multi meter on the battery then disconnect the constant feed wire going to the stereo. If the drain disappears then you know something is wrong with the stereo. The video is for parasitic drain, you can try this also but from what you are describing you probably will notice a difference by just checking battery volts.

post #8 of 14 Old 11-19-2019, 03:34 AM
RevScott

There SHOULD be one lead that will be drawing a handful of miliamps- this is the clock/memory power lead... many radios also connect to a full powerlead and a power sense lead. the sense lead tells the radio it can now use power from the full power lead, others combine the full power and the clock memory leads in the radio and dont allow any major power draw until the sense lead gets the OK to use the power to operate the poweramp, tuner and other circuits. With the basic aspects of operation stated, you really have two choices left completely uninstall it and start from scratch (preferably utilizing an install kit designed for your make and model year jeep and the radio) Or return the stereo as faulty and either get your moneyback or a completely different stereo after researching installing sound equipment in your model and year jeep.
post #9 of 14 Old 11-19-2019, 06:41 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Did you by any chance install a relay somewhere with the radio, like does that wiring harness you used have a relay within it?

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #10 of 14 Old 11-20-2019, 09:32 AM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Do you have the factory amp or have you added an amp? Did you get it connected correctly through the blue/white to blue wire? Sound like the amp may be powered on even though the radio is not and draining the battery.

Below is from the radio manual about the amp connections.

Quote:
Never connect the blue/white cable to the power terminal of an external power amp. Also, never connect it to the power terminal of the auto antenna. Doing so may result in battery drain or a malfunction.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #11 of 14 Old 11-20-2019, 09:58 AM Thread Starter
bigbdroid
2004 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fourtrail View Post
Do you have the factory amp or have you added an amp? Did you get it connected correctly through the blue/white to blue wire? Sound like the amp may be powered on even though the radio is not and draining the battery.

Below is from the radio manual about the amp connections.

Quote:
Never connect the blue/white cable to the power terminal of an external power amp. Also, never connect it to the power terminal of the auto antenna. Doing so may result in battery drain or a malfunction.
I'm not sure what you mean by amp. All I did was remove the old head unit and install an aftermarket pioneer head unit. 1 for 1 swap. I bought a wiring harness so I wouldn't have to cut any wires. That's it.

post #12 of 14 Old 11-20-2019, 02:39 PM
Fourtrail
1974 CJ6 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbdroid View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by amp. All I did was remove the old head unit and install an aftermarket pioneer head unit. 1 for 1 swap. I bought a wiring harness so I wouldn't have to cut any wires. That's it.

Part number for the harness you bought? Did you have the premium sound system or the standard system?

Can you post up a picture of the harness between the radio and the factory radio plug?

This is a picture of the factory amplifier.

80 CJ-5, 74 CJ-6, 56 CJ-5
post #13 of 14 Old 11-23-2019, 08:31 AM Thread Starter
bigbdroid
2004 XJ Cherokee 

There is no amp under the rear seat. So I guess I have the standard system

post #14 of 14 Old 12-02-2019, 08:06 PM
racksaw
1999 WJ 

Garage
I just picked up a 99 WJ that seems to have an electrical parasite. It has the stock stereo though. An aftermarket stereo is in the near future so I am interested in whether or not you found the source of your problem.

If you have an update, please share it so that I might avoid a similar issue.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in