Hams: Anyone put a NMO mount on a hardtop ?? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 12-05-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
TheFog

2006 LJ Wrangler 

Hams: Anyone put a NMO mount on a hardtop ??

I've got a huge roll of copper tape so the ground plane won't be a problem. Just before I put the drill put to the top I wanted to see if anyone else had done it and if so maybe see some pictures and find out where on the top they put it, any problems, ETC.

FOG

In memory of Samantha Sue 1998 to Dec-16-10 at 2:15PM. She may have had 4 legs and a tail but she was the best friend I ever had and helped me through some really tough times. I hope to see her again one day.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 12-12-2010, 09:40 AM
PhulesAu
2004 LJ Wrangler 

They do make some for "thick" material, but I can't tell you if they are good for something as thick as the top. I have 2 mounted on the back edge of the hood. look at the reinforcing rib that runs across the back edge. there's a perfect spot for one on each side. I "think" it would be a lot easier to do. one is for 2/70cm and the other side is VHF commecial. If you want drop a PM and I'll send you a pic. There's a good radio shop in Texas city, but I can't recall the name. They should have any parts you might need.
post #3 of 3 Old 12-17-2010, 06:21 AM
GlennA
2008 JK Wrangler 

Even with the proper NMO mount, I suspect you would have poor performance unless you use a "non-groundplane" antenna.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in