Ham question... Any DMR/APRS users? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 08-13-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Ravenbar
2002 WJ 

Garage
Ham question... Any DMR/APRS users?

New to DMR. Recently picked up an Anytone AT-d868uv.

Biggest feature I was hoping to take advantage of is the GPS/APRS feature. That's only available via DMR(on the AT-d868uv, on the AT-878uv(same hardware different firmware), analog APRS is available). I was thinking at least one digipeater in range would support DMR, but yesterday found out all are analog.

Right now, I see my options as follows to get this working

(1) I create my own DMR APRS Igate. Not having any luck online figuring out how to go about doing such.

(2) Reprogramming my 868 to be an 878. Never done any hardware hacking of this sort so I really don't want to jeopardize my most expensive radio attempting such.

Option 1 is where I'd prefer to go, but have no idea how to do such.

73, KD2QQF

Project Thumper:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

KD2QQF
Member of Fourth Coast Jeeps
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 08-15-2019, 12:01 PM
prerunner1982

1993 XJ Cherokee 

Is this just for hobby around town or are you wanting something to take out on the trail? If you are wanting it for the trails your own DMR Igate likely won't be the best option, if it's at home the coverage area will be small, if it's a mobile i-gate you still have to have cell service and at that point you might as well just use an APRS app on your phone.
Another option for APRS would be to get a cheap HT and hook it up to a spare phone running an APRS app such as APRS.fi for IOS or APRSdroid for Android.

Jon
1993 XJ Sport 2 door
post #3 of 3 Old 08-15-2019, 01:42 PM
downs

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunner1982 View Post
Another option for APRS would be to get a cheap HT and hook it up to a spare phone running an APRS app such as APRS.fi for IOS or APRSdroid for Android.
This is what I do. I really only use APRS when traveling not really around the house. I have a 40 dollar burner smart phone (LG Rebel 4) setup in airplane mode with the sim card removed. It's basically just a small computer at this point. I use the BTECH aprs adapter cable and hook that to a simple UV-5R then run that to a simple magnet mount 1/4 wave on the roof, since anytime I use it is a temporary setup. The external antenna is a requirement with the HT or you won't get far enough to hit many digipeaters/igates.

Next time I take the headliner out I may drill for a permanent NMO mount so that way all I have to do is turn on the radio and phone.

1995 Jeep Cherokee Country 4X4 Stock
AW4/NP231/C8.25/D30/"UpCounty" suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in