Flashing brake lights for better visibility - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By CJ7-Tim

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 03:51 PM Thread Starter
Captain Skip

Jk Flashing brake lights for better visibility

One of the primary reasons I bought my JK is to tow it behind my motorhome. I've seen brake lights that flash a couple times very quickly when the brakes area applied and they really get your attention. I've been considering adding something like that to the JK so when the boneheads following me are texting, surfing the internet of generally not paying attention when they're behind me I can grab their attention. I found a couple websites that offer flashing units but they seem to be primarily for motorcycles or japanese cars. One site, blinkingbrakelightsDOTcom has replacement LED bulbs that have the circuitry built in to make the bulb flash 4 times in 1/2 a second when the brakes are applied then it comes on steady. They also offer a module that goes inline on the power lead to the 3rd brake light. They want $25 for the module but SuperbriteledsDOTcom has pretty much the same thing for $4.95. Anyone ever use something like this on your rig? Any downsides? I'm thinking that it would increase visibility and safety.

Live Free or Die
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 04:30 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I have a brake light flasher on all my Jeeps. I attached them to the 3rd brake light, but you can easily do the regular brake lights. It does not matter what the advert says they are for, just about any one should work. Just confirm that it won't interfere with a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) or the PCM.

I can see people pointing and talking about the flashing when in stop-n-go traffic.

I use this one >> https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Flash...ANXRF4FT5HAK2Z
Captain Skip likes this.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 4 Old 08-19-2019, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
Captain Skip

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7-Tim View Post
I have a brake light flasher on all my Jeeps. I attached them to the 3rd brake light, but you can easily do the regular brake lights. It does not matter what the advert says they are for, just about any one should work. Just confirm that it won't interfere with a Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) or the PCM.

I can see people pointing and talking about the flashing when in stop-n-go traffic.

I use this one >> https://www.amazon.com/Vehicle-Flash...ANXRF4FT5HAK2Z

Did this one fit within the 3rd brake light housing or did you have to tap into the light inside the body somewhere? Thanks for the response by the way.

Live Free or Die

post #4 of 4 Old 08-20-2019, 08:20 AM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Skip View Post
Did this one fit within the 3rd brake light housing or did you have to tap into the light inside the body somewhere? Thanks for the response by the way.
The flasher I linked to is about the size and thickness of a Kennedy Half Dollar coin. On the Cherokee you can tap into the 3rd brake wire harness at the fender, or right at the bulb housing.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in