factory sub to an aftermarket radio - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 05:18 PM Thread Starter
djmarine
2006 TJ Wrangler 

factory sub to an aftermarket radio

how do you hook up the factory sub to a aftermarket radio? I have a 2006 jeep rubicon and i cant figure out how or where i would hook it up to the clarion deck. does anyone know thanks

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 05:22 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Connect the new deck using the factory speaker wires, the sub is connected via the factory f/r speaker wiring. You only need to connect the TJ's blue "amp turn on" wire to the Clarion's Blue power antenna or amp turn on wire. The sub's amplifier is powered by that blue wire that the Clarion will power whenever the Clarion is turned on.

When you have a choice, buy American made.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
djmarine
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford View Post
Connect the new deck using the factory speaker wires, the sub is connected via the factory f/r speaker wiring. You only need to connect the TJ's blue "amp turn on" wire to the Clarion's Blue power antenna or amp turn on wire. The sub's amplifier is powered by that blue wire that the Clarion will power whenever the Clarion is turned on.
i have 2 blue wires with a pink stripe no solid blue wires and the 2 blue wires look hooked up to the harness going in to the clarion.

post #4 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 06:34 PM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

I am not sure what you are saying there. But if the sub works after the Clarion's f/r speaker wires are spliced into the Jeep's f/r speaker wiring, you have the correct blue wires connected.

post #5 of 14 Old 05-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Demp
2013 JK Wrangler 

Jerry is correct, the sub amp is hooked to the 2 rear speaker signals. When I removed my console sub there was only the 4 signal wires and a power and ground, the amp is signal sensitive instead of remote (blue wire) triggered.

There could be a built in relay for the sub's power elsewhere using the radio's remote line, however. If you used a harness to fit the chrysler connector just match up the remote labeled wires and you are fine.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-27-2010, 09:29 AM
Jerry Bransford
Administrator

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demp View Post
Jerry is correct, the sub amp is hooked to the 2 rear speaker signals. When I removed my console sub there was only the 4 signal wires and a power and ground, the amp is signal sensitive instead of remote (blue wire) triggered.
Maybe but even with that, it needs the blue wire connected for power. That is where it gets its power from.

post #7 of 14 Old 05-28-2010, 12:55 AM
shinna202

sorry to hijack your thread, but what if the factory sub works with only radio as in FM/AM, however when I go to UBS to use my ipod, the sub does not work anymore?
post #8 of 14 Old 05-28-2010, 08:26 AM
SirGCal
RIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinna202 View Post
sorry to hijack your thread, but what if the factory sub works with only radio as in FM/AM, however when I go to UBS to use my ipod, the sub does not work anymore?
The wrong (power antenna) wire was used to trigger the amp (remote-turn-on).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
post #9 of 14 Old 05-28-2010, 08:52 AM
shinna202

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
So which two colors should be attached then?
post #10 of 14 Old 05-28-2010, 08:57 AM
SirGCal
RIP

The colors are not 100% standard. They can very. The two wires from the new radio though are likely blue and blue with a white stripe. Find which one is connected, and which one is not, and switch them.

My MS/Life blog, Audio and Electronic write-ups, project how-tos, pictures, stories, and more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal
If you can't take a nano-second to press shift/period/etc. and make proper sentences and paragraphs, I don't know if I can take a few minutes to respond to your topics... It doesn't have to be perfect by any means, but a little effort goes a long way.
post #11 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 12:21 PM
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGCal View Post
I just replaced my headunit, and have the exact same problem. Sub works with the radio, but not iPhone or CD.

I know I matched the wires right, by reading the label on each one. However, the problem still exists. Is it okay to switch the wires, or am I going to hurt something? What's the worst thing that could happen if I connect the power antenna to the remote turn on lead?

Patriot Blue 2001 TJ
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build thread
post #12 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 12:46 PM
rubibluejay
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogbluedrummer View Post
I just replaced my headunit, and have the exact same problem. Sub works with the radio, but not iPhone or CD.

I know I matched the wires right, by reading the label on each one. However, the problem still exists. Is it okay to switch the wires, or am I going to hurt something? What's the worst thing that could happen if I connect the power antenna to the remote turn on lead?
https://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f20/l...9/#post8219106

Jay
post #13 of 14 Old 05-31-2010, 02:46 PM
dogbluedrummer
Trust me....

2001 TJ Wrangler 

I swapped the wires....and amazingly it all works now! Thanks guys.
Now I just need to add a little bigger amp for the sub.......money, money, money......

Patriot Blue 2001 TJ
Everything I need to fix on the heep: ABS indicator, speed 4 on the blower fan, torn softop over driver's head, both seat release/tilt cables, missing center cap on spare, broken under hood light, wire up the CB, wiring problem with the reverse lights, broken bottle jack, leaky front and rear pinion seals, loose trackbar relocation bracket, torn drivers seat on the side, broken center console lock, lost nuts for door hinges, squeaking centering ball, loose parking brake cable, oil change and rotate the tires.
My build thread
post #14 of 14 Old 12-27-2015, 04:35 PM
Jimistark

sub woos

i just bought a 05 with a Kenwood KDC152 head unit, the sub works but sound like a full range speaker, I unpluged the factory amp fuse and it turns the sub off so i guess the amp is working. I am guessing all the speakers are factory except the sub, its a Kicker, I can see it. The point is my Amazon bluetooth black box sounds better. Can anyone recommend a decent fix that doesn't cost a grand. Thanks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in