Extra charging ports for usb etc - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 06-09-2019, 03:43 PM Thread Starter
gphil

Talking Extra charging ports for usb etc

Hope I have selected the correct forum. I have a 98 TJ and want to add some charging ports to run the cell and any other plugin that might be needed. The cigarette lighter is not working and the fuses are all fine and that is why I thinking of just adding more. Which is the best to come from the battery to inside or just go to the fuse box. I really thinking of coming off the battery inside to a fuse block and wire from there. Yes, it will be always hot but then so are other items under there. I guess I will have to put in some type of grounding post back to the battery. So I guess I am asking if this plan sounds good. Batt to fuse terminal wire to ports etc then have the grounds to a strip which would lead back to the battery. Hard to explain and hope someone understands what I am getting at. Piggybacking the inside box seems not good to me because of using the jeeps original systems. The more you think the cloudier it seems. When I was young I just ripped out wires and went from there. lol Thanks for the patience and will be watching for responses. Gary (gphil)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-09-2019, 05:44 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

USB charging does not draw very much. Pick an unused fuse slot, or piggyback off a suitable fuse or wire circuit. If you run a positive wire from the battery, there would be no reason to run a ground back to the battery, but it also wouldn't hurt anything to do that.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 16 Old 06-09-2019, 09:06 PM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

You could just fix the lighter socket.

Use a trouble light or meter to check fuse 19 to see if you're getting power through it or not: if yes, suspect a bad socket or loose ground at G200 (located just below the left dash speaker); if no, check for a bad accessory relay (located next to the fuse block) or bad PDC fuse 5. When checking the relay, verify terminal 2 of the relay socket is getting power from the ignition switch in ACC/RUN and that you have a good ground at terminal 5. Once the accessory power is working again you'll have the option of plugging chargers into the lighter socket, or you can use the extra light blue wire taped to the wire harness near the fuse block as an additional fused switched power source for an extra outlet.
Attached Thumbnails
98 Lighter.jpg  

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon

post #4 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 11:06 AM Thread Starter
gphil

thank you very much for the responses. I am an older senior, kid, at heart and love to tinker. This forum is going to be a value to me. One of the subject question. Is to bottom of the dash inside steel? Assuming it is for I want to put some self-tapping screws into it for the USB mount. Thanks once more and hope I did not offend by the last inquiry. gphil
post #5 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 11:34 AM
mukluk
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

The vast majority of the TJ's dash is plastic, but it does attach to some steel frame structure. See the attached picture for what the frame looks like with the dash plastic removed.
Attached Thumbnails
TJ dash frame.jpg  

2000 TJ SE
2005 LJ Rubicon
post #6 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
gphil

Thumbs up Dash Panel

By gad, could not have asked for a better answer. lol Just what I needed.
post #7 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 05:54 PM
thetexannh

Shees rusty!
post #8 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 06:33 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

While the advice above is correct, you might want to consider putting your own fuse/terminal block in place for other electrical components you might wish to add. Also a nice big terminal screw to attach grounds.

[BTW I'm also another senior here (almost 70)

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #9 of 16 Old 06-10-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
gphil

Hey jay-h, Still got ya beat on the years. I have the necessary parts to do what you described. I have been chasing volts this evening and I cannot find any at the empty slot on the inside fuse block. Don't know if it is even powered. could be I am not getting the point of the probe deep enough for it to light. If I do go the route you mentioned, would you run a ground back out to the neg side of the batt? Also a ground strap to the engine. I really hate to piggyback but if the open slot is not powered then my terminal block will have to go in. Won't be switched but then so are a lot of other acc. I would like the new block inside to keep from having to run more wires through the firewall in the future. Give me your thoughts and thanks. gphil
post #10 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 04:14 AM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

I'd simply run a wire with an inline breaker back to the battery. You can ground to the block, but that normally makes a difference for high draw applications, not typical accessories. If you are having grounding problems, adding a ground from the block to the body should help.

Ideally you could make some connections switched and others not, use a relay connected to anywhere on the switched side to control it.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #11 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 05:04 AM Thread Starter
gphil

Relays

Not real versed in relays. How to wire into a circuit etc. understand different types also. Sounded like you are in favor of inside cabin for new junction box. Once more thanks for all the input.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-11-2019, 07:05 PM
jay-h
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Basically you select a normally open 12 relay (many have both normally open and normally closed functionality). Connect on side of the coil (graphically illustrated on the instruction sheet) to the ground and the other to a switched power. When power is applied to the coil (very little is needed) the normally open contacts will connect (and the normally closed will disconnect).

This allows your to switch a fairly heavy current (up to the rated value of the relay) with very little load on the activating signal (coil). That way there is no danger of overloading any underdash wiring.

My toys
'89 Wrangler YJ
'47 CJ2-A

wife's toys
97 Grand Cherokee (ZJ)
87 MB 560SL roadster
post #13 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 05:49 AM
Trootncsse
2001 TJ Wrangler 

Re: no volts at the empty slot. I had an issue on my old CJ where my heater fan, lighter port interior lights, and finally wipers had no power. It ended up being the fuse block itself. I removed it and on he backside there was a lot of corrosion where the spade terminals plugged in. Cleaned up and all was well. Things worked. Have never looked at terminal block on the TJ to see if same could occur. Just a thought. PS. Im 66 and getting under the dash is most fun. And then trying to see! Lol

2001 TJ, NV3550 w/4.0 32BFG, MidMichigan
post #14 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
gphil

Dash Panel

Well getting under the dash and trying to see is a real problem at my years lol. Can't get out afterward. May just take to shop down the road. I cannot get a 12 V reading on my meter even when sticking into a known operating slot. How far do you need to cram those probs in? I really like the battery cables from Custom Cables with the military terminals. Has anyone purchased them?
post #15 of 16 Old 06-12-2019, 08:27 AM
ToddPaul
1972 CJ5 

Garage
I purchased the military cable ends from Pico and made my own cables, they are great . I would just use a separate fuse block to power your USB then you have some slots left open for further improvements, and ground out to your dash . If your ground is in question, run a strap to the dash and then you'll be fine. I am only 55, so take it for what its worth .

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in